Basic Integral calculus volume problem

In summary, the individual is seeking help with conceptualizing rotating lines around the X- and Y-axis and is looking for pointers on how to approach these types of problems. They provide their thoughts and a setup for an integral to represent the volume of a solid formed by specific equations rotated around a specific line. Another individual responds, stating that the solution looks correct and noting that the poster is ahead of the curve for being new to calculus.
Adam111
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on these forums. If I am doing anything wrong, please let me know.

I am having a lot of trouble with conceptualizing rotating lines around the X- and Y-axis.

The problem I am trying to visualize right now is...

Using integrals to represent the volume of the solid formed by...

Y = sqrt(x)+3, Y = 7 - (1/2)x, and the Y-axis. Rotated around the line Y = 3.

my gut feeling for this problem is...

To setup the integral so that it looks like this...

setting the two equations equal, and differentiating for X, the integral is from [0,4]

and this is then my integral setup.

(Pi(7 - (1/2)x - 3)^2 - Pi(sqrt(x) + 3 - 3)^2)DX

This creates a washer with outer radius of Pi(4 - 1/2x)^2 and inner radius Pi(x)

I am pretty new to calculus, and I understand this is a very basic concept.
I am just looking for some pointers on how to approach these kinds of problems.

and is this even a correct way to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are new to this stuff, then you are way ahead of the curve. That looks good to me.

Related to Basic Integral calculus volume problem

1. What is basic integral calculus?

Basic integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the area under a curve. It involves finding the antiderivative of a given function and evaluating it within a certain range.

2. What is a volume problem in basic integral calculus?

A volume problem in basic integral calculus is a problem that involves finding the volume of a three-dimensional solid using integration. This typically requires finding the cross-sectional area of the solid and integrating it over a specific range.

3. How do you set up a basic integral calculus volume problem?

To set up a basic integral calculus volume problem, you first need to determine the shape of the solid and the limits of integration. Then, you need to find the cross-sectional area of the solid as a function of the variable of integration. Finally, you integrate the cross-sectional area function over the given limits to find the volume.

4. What are some common examples of basic integral calculus volume problems?

Some common examples of basic integral calculus volume problems include finding the volume of a cone, cylinder, or sphere. Other examples may involve finding the volume of irregular shapes or solids with varying cross-sectional areas.

5. What are some tips for solving basic integral calculus volume problems?

Some tips for solving basic integral calculus volume problems include drawing a diagram of the solid, using symmetry to simplify the problem, and breaking the solid into smaller, more manageable pieces. It is also important to carefully set up the integral and double-check the limits of integration before solving.