Basic Physics Book Question

In summary, there are multiple options for basic physics textbooks with many examples and good illustrations on subjects such as kinematics, dynamics, circular motion, gravitation, work and energy, linear momentum, and rotational motion. Some recommended options include Halliday Resnick and Krane, Concepts of Physics by HC Verma, and Young and Friedman. Openstax.org also offers open source physics books, with Volume One covering these topics.
askor
Can someone please tell me what basic physics book that has many examples especially on below subjects and has good illustrations?

Kinematics in one dimension
Kinematics in two dimensions
Dynamics: Newton's Laws of motion
Circular motion
Gravitation
Work and energy
Linear momentum
Rotational motion

I use Giancoli's Physics textbook but the example of the above subjects are too little and not enough.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
askor said:
Can someone please tell me what basic physics book that has many examples especially on below subjects and has good illustrations?
Halliday Resnick and Krane(vol1) is a really good book for both problems and theory, Concepts of Physics by HC Verma is also a phenomenal book, its vol1 covers all the topics mentioned by you and a few more like waves and sound waves. It has fewer and harder problems(and many nice illustrations) compared to Halliday Resnick but it's worth it in my opinion.

I found Giancoli to be terse (I think I remember it being 20 pages per chapter).

I think Young and Friedman is much better.

1. What is the purpose of a basic physics book?

A basic physics book is designed to introduce readers to the fundamental concepts and principles of physics. It covers a wide range of topics, from mechanics and thermodynamics to electricity and magnetism, and provides a foundation for understanding more advanced topics in physics.

2. What topics are typically covered in a basic physics book?

A basic physics book usually covers topics such as motion, forces, energy, waves, electricity, magnetism, and modern physics. It may also include sections on scientific methods and problem-solving techniques.

3. Can a basic physics book be useful for non-scientists?

Yes, a basic physics book can be useful for non-scientists as it provides a basic understanding of the physical world and helps to explain everyday phenomena. It can also improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. What level of mathematics is required to understand a basic physics book?

A basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry is typically required to understand a basic physics book. Some books may also cover basic calculus concepts.

5. Are there any recommended basic physics books for beginners?

Yes, there are many recommended basic physics books for beginners, such as "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett. It is best to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and level of mathematical understanding.