Basic Poker Immediate Odds Question

• B
  • Thread starter Master1022
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of immediate odds in a poker hand. The question is about the probability of completing a flush with the given hand and four cards on the table. The initial calculation of P(diamond in the river) is corrected to use 46 remaining cards instead of 44, as the opponent's cards must also be considered. This is because there may be diamonds in the opponent's hand that could complete the flush. The correct answer is 19.56%, as quoted in the blog post. The conversation concludes by mentioning that there are other cards that could improve the hand without completing the flush.
Master1022
TL;DR Summary
Quick question about calculation of immediate odds in a poker hand.
Hi,

Just have a quick conceptual question about calculating immediate odds in poker.

Question: Your hand is Ad Kd. The four cards on the table (flop and turn) are: Kd 7h 4d. What is the probability of getting a flop on the river? (scenario is that we are playing with one opponent)

At first, I thought that this would be calculated by doing [itex] P(diamond\, in\, the\, river) = \frac{\# \, diamonds\, left}{\# \, cards\, left} = \frac{9}{44} [/itex]. I have gotten the 9 from the fact that there are currently 4 known diamonds on the table (13 - 4 = 9) and there are 8 cards in play (52 - 8 = 44). However, the blog post quotes a different probability and when I work it back, they seem to use 46 in the denominator. I don't properly have an intuition of why we are including our opponents' cards in the total number of cards?

The answer quoted is: 19.56%

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Master1022 said:
Summary:: Quick question about calculation of immediate odds in a poker hand.

Hi,

Just have a quick conceptual question about calculating immediate odds in poker.

Question: Your hand is Ad Kd. The four cards on the table (flop and turn) are: Kd 7h 4d. What is the probability of getting a flop on the river? (scenario is that we are playing with one opponent)

At first, I thought that this would be calculated by doing [itex] P(diamond\, in\, the\, river) = \frac{\# \, diamonds\, left}{\# \, cards\, left} = \frac{9}{44} [/itex]. I have gotten the 9 from the fact that there are currently 4 known diamonds on the table (13 - 4 = 9) and there are 8 cards in play (52 - 8 = 44). However, the blog post quotes a different probability and when I work it back, they seem to use 46 in the denominator. I don't properly have an intuition of why we are including our opponents' cards in the total number of cards?

The answer quoted is: 19.56%

Thanks in advance.
You need to correct your scenario. 1) As Diamond King (Kd) is one of your hole cards, it cannot appear on the flop. 2) You need to show a fourth card on the table after the turn. Also, I presume you mean "probability of completing a flush".

Using 46 remaining cards seems correct. You have seen 2+4=6 cards. 52-6 = 46 remaining cards. You may ignore the "burn" cards since they are unknown. Of those 46 remaining cards, 9 are diamonds.

There are other cards that can improve your hand without making the flush.

Last edited:
Likes Master1022
Master1022 said:
I don't properly have an intuition of why we are including our opponents' cards in the total number of cards?
Because some diamonds might be in the opponent's cards. Since they are unknown, they must be included in the entire set of cards where the remaining diamonds might be.

Likes Master1022
Master1022 said:
I don't properly have an intuition of why we are including our opponents' cards in the total number of cards?

The simple answer is because you don't know how many diamonds your opponent holds. Excluding those cards from your calculations effectively assumes your opponent holds no diamonds.

Sometimes to see these things you can take a more extreme example. Suppose you hold 23 cards, with 7 diamonds. And your opponent holds 23 cards. Six cards remain "in the river".

By you calculation the remaining six cards would be all six remaning diamonds! As follows:

[itex] P(diamond\, in\, the\, river) = \frac{\# \, diamonds\, left}{\# \, cards\, left} = \frac{6}{6} = 1[/itex]

Likes Master1022
Klystron said:
You need to correct your scenario. 1) As Diamond King (Kd) is one of your hole cards, it cannot appear on the flop. 2) You need to show a fourth card on the table after the turn. Also, I presume you mean "probability of completing a flush".

Using 46 remaining cards seems correct. You have seen 2+4=6 cards. 52-6 = 46 remaining cards. You may ignore the "burn" cards since they are unknown. Of those 46 remaining cards, 9 are diamonds.

There are other cards that can improve your hand without making the flush.
Yes, sorry, I mixed up the terminology - I was looking for completing the flush

Likes Klystron
OKay, thank you all for posting - that does clear things up!

1. What are immediate odds in poker?

Immediate odds in poker refer to the chances of making a winning hand on the next card or street. It is calculated by dividing the number of outs (cards that can improve your hand) by the number of unseen cards. For example, if you have 4 outs and there are 46 unseen cards, your immediate odds would be 4/46 or approximately 8.7%.

2. How do you calculate immediate odds in poker?

To calculate immediate odds, you need to know the number of outs and the number of unseen cards. The formula for calculating immediate odds is (outs / unseen cards) x 100. This will give you a percentage, which you can then use to determine the likelihood of making a winning hand on the next card or street.

3. How do immediate odds affect my decision-making in poker?

Immediate odds can help you make more informed decisions in poker. If the odds of making a winning hand are high, it may be worth staying in the hand and continuing to bet. However, if the odds are low, it may be wise to fold and wait for a better opportunity. Keep in mind that immediate odds are just one factor to consider and should not be the sole basis for your decisions.

4. Can immediate odds change throughout a poker hand?

Yes, immediate odds can change throughout a poker hand as new cards are revealed. This is why it is important to recalculate your odds after each new card is dealt. The more information you have, the more accurate your odds will be.

5. How can I improve my understanding of immediate odds in poker?

The best way to improve your understanding of immediate odds in poker is to practice and familiarize yourself with different hand scenarios. You can also use online poker calculators or apps to help you quickly calculate odds in real-time. Additionally, studying and learning about probability and odds in general can also improve your understanding of immediate odds in poker.