Basic Question about Gauge Transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses gauge transformations and their infinite possibilities in a functional action ##S=S(a,b,c)##. It is noted that gauge transformations are undefined on shell, but this does not rule them out as they can still be invariant under the equations of motion. The motivation for seeking a gauge-invariant action is also mentioned, as it guarantees gauge invariance in the equations of motion for the various fields. It is stated that a good reason is needed to justify ruling out gauge transformations that are undefined on shell.
Baela
TL;DR Summary
Normally a given action does not have an infinite number of gauge transformations but the following observation implies that an action with three or more fields has an infinite number of gauge transformations! What's going wrong?
Suppose we have an action ##S=S(a,b,c)## which is a functional of the fields ##a,\, b,\,## and ##c##. We denote the variation of ##S## wrt to a given field, say ##a##, i.e. ##\frac{\delta S}{\delta a}##, by ##E_a##.
Then ##S## is gauge invariant when
$$\delta S = \delta a E_a + \delta b E_b +\delta c E_c = 0 \tag{1}$$
This gives
$$\delta c = - (\delta a E_a + \delta b E_b)/E_c \tag{2}$$
From the above equation ##\delta c## can be obtained for arbitrary ##\delta a## and ##\delta b##. It is not necessary to have a relation b/w ##\,\delta a## and ##\delta b##. Doesn't this imply that there is an infinite number of gauge-transformations here? If yes, isn't that absurd?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the simple case of ##U(1)## gauge transformation in scalar QED. The gauge transformations of the scalar field ##\phi (x)## reads ##\phi (x) \mapsto \phi (x) e^{\mathrm{i}\theta (x)} ##, now how many gauge transformations do you have here?... one? infintely many?

Likes vanhees71
And how does this work when you put the field ##c## "on shell"; i.e., ##E_{c}=0##? What does your eq.(2) mean then?

Likes malawi_glenn
malawi_glenn said:
Consider the simple case of ##U(1)## gauge transformation in scalar QED. The gauge transformations of the scalar field ##\phi (x)## reads ##\phi (x) \mapsto \phi (x) e^{\mathrm{i}\theta (x)} ##, now how many gauge transformations do you have here?... one? infintely many?
That is one gauge transformation. The case that I am talking of in the original post needs at least three different fields in the action for there to be an infinite number of gauge transformations. If there were only two fields, ##a## and ##b##, then eq. (2) in the original post will read as
$$\delta b=-\delta a E_a/E_b\,.$$
Whatever arbitrary value ##\delta a## takes here, it will give only one value to ##\delta b## in order to satisfy the above equation. So it will count as only one gauge transformation.
But when there are three or more fields, we have
$$\delta c = - (\delta a E_a + \delta b E_b)/E_c\,. $$
When ##\delta a## takes an arbitrary value, ##\delta b## can take an infinite number of unrelated/unconstrained values, and we will get a solution for ##\delta c## for each of those cases. So the number of possible gauge transformations becomes infinite.

Last edited:
renormalize said:
And how does this work when you put the field ##c## "on shell"; i.e., ##E_{c}=0##? What does your eq.(2) mean then?
Then eq. (2) becomes undefined. Such a gauge-transformation is undefined on-shell. But that does not mean that such a gauge transformation is not possible or not allowed.

Baela said:
Then eq. (2) becomes undefined. Such a gauge-transformation is undefined on-shell. But that does not mean that such a gauge transformation is not possible or not allowed.
But one of the motivations for seeking a gauge-invariant action is to guarantee that the equations of motion for the various fields will themselves be gauge invariant. What is the value of a gauge transformation that is undefined on shell?

Likes malawi_glenn
renormalize said:
But one of the motivations for seeking a gauge-invariant action is to guarantee that the equations of motion for the various fields will themselves be gauge invariant. What is the value of a gauge transformation that is undefined on shell?
The equations of motion are invariant also under the gauge transformations which are undefined on-shell. ##E_a,\,E_b,## and ##E_c## can be shown to be invariant under such gauge transformations.

I would be happy to come to know of some reasoning which rules out the gauge-transformations that are undefined on-shell. But I need a good reason to justify the ruling out.

Last edited:
A gauge "symmetry" describes a redundancy in the description of a physical situation. E.g., the electromagnetic field can be described by the electromgnetic potentials (or in relativistic notation, the four-potential, ##A^{\mu}##), but these are not uniquely determined by the equations of motion, i.e., any potential ##A_{\mu}'=A_{\mu} + \partial_{\mu} \chi##, where ##\chi## is an arbitrary scalar field, describes the same physical situation. The observables are necessarily gauge invariant. An example is the electromagnetic field, ##F_{\mu \nu}=\partial_{\mu} A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}##, and indeed the Maxwell equations for the electromanetic field has unique solutions for given sources and initial conditions.

Likes malawi_glenn
Baela said:
The equations of motion are invariant also under the gauge transformations which are undefined on-shell. ##E_a,\,E_b,## and ##E_c## can be shown to be invariant under such gauge transformations.
Can you post your demonstration that shows that, e.g., ##E_{c}## is invariant under your gauge transformations even when ##E_{c}=0##?

renormalize said:
Can you post your demonstration that shows that, e.g., ##E_{c}## is invariant under your gauge transformations even when ##E_{c}=0##?
It'll take some time to show that. Will try to do it when I get enough time for it.

renormalize said:
As per the answer given by Demystifier here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...er-gauge-transformations.1052060/post-6879952 , equations of motion of an action are not necessarily required to be invariant under the gauge transformations of the action.

So saying that the gauge transformations which do not leave the equations of motion invariant, are not real gauge transformations, is not correct.

Baela said:
So saying that the gauge transformations which do not leave the equations of motion invariant, are not real gauge transformations, is not correct.
True, Demystifier makes a valid point: namely, for local gauge transformations that depend on more than one parameter, the equations-of-motion transform covariantly (i.e., they are multiplied by a collection of position-dependent parameters), rather than being invariant (multiplied by 1). But that makes no essential difference to the operational questions I previously put to you.

So, I revise post #6 to ask:
But one of the motivations for seeking a gauge-invariant action is to guarantee that the equations of motion for the various fields will themselves be gauge invariant or covariant. What is the value (i.e., usefulness) of a gauge transformation that is undefined on shell?

And alter post #9 to request:
Can you post your demonstration that shows that, e.g., ##E_{c}## is invariant or covariant under your gauge transformations even when ##E_{c}=0##?

Sorry about the long delay in my reply. I've had a very busy couple of months with deadlines to meet. After having met some of my deadlines, I have returned to reply to your questions as soon as I could manage.
renormalize said:
So, I revise post #6 to ask:
But one of the motivations for seeking a gauge-invariant action is to guarantee that the equations of motion for the various fields will themselves be gauge invariant or covariant. What is the value (i.e., usefulness) of a gauge transformation that is undefined on shell?
Generally the main purpose of a gauge transformation is to keep the action invariant, not the equations of motion invariant. So to me at least, the value of a gauge transformation comes from its ability to keep the action invariant.

renormalize said:
And alter post #9 to request:
Can you post your demonstration that shows that, e.g., ##E_{c}## is invariant or covariant under your gauge transformations even when ##E_{c}=0##?
I would like to modify something I said earlier. I said "The equations of motion are invariant also under the gauge transformations which are undefined on-shell." Reflecting on it a bit more, I see that a transformation which is undefined on-shell will simply not exist when the equations of motion hold. So it is incorrect to talk about the capability of such a transformation when the equations of motion hold. It is still a mystery to me about whether such gauge transformations are acceptable in the off-shell case.

renormalize said:
True, Demystifier makes a valid point: namely, for local gauge transformations that depend on more than one parameter, the equations-of-motion transform covariantly (i.e., they are multiplied by a collection of position-dependent parameters), rather than being invariant (multiplied by 1). But that makes no essential difference to the operational questions I previously put to you.
Demystifier only said that generally equations of motion are covariant. It is not clear to me how you infer
for local gauge transformations that depend on more than one parameter, the equations-of-motion are multiplied by a collection of position-dependent parameters, rather than being invariant (multiplied by 1)
If you could clarify it by giving an example, that would be great. Thanks.

1. What are gauge transformations?

Gauge transformations are mathematical transformations that are used to describe the symmetries of a physical system. They are used in the field of gauge theory, which is a branch of theoretical physics that studies the behavior of fields under these transformations.

2. Why are gauge transformations important in physics?

Gauge transformations are important in physics because they help us understand the fundamental laws of nature and how they are related to each other. They also allow us to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems, such as particles and fields, in a consistent and mathematically elegant way.

3. What is the difference between a global and local gauge transformation?

A global gauge transformation is a transformation that is applied to the entire system, while a local gauge transformation is a transformation that varies from point to point within the system. In other words, a global gauge transformation affects the system as a whole, while a local gauge transformation can have different effects at different points in the system.

4. How do gauge transformations relate to symmetries in physics?

Gauge transformations are closely related to symmetries in physics because they describe the invariance of physical laws under certain transformations. In other words, if a physical system is unchanged after a gauge transformation is applied, it is said to have a symmetry under that transformation. This allows us to better understand the underlying principles and laws that govern the behavior of physical systems.

5. Can you give an example of a gauge transformation in physics?

One example of a gauge transformation is the electromagnetic gauge transformation, which describes the invariance of Maxwell's equations under changes in the electric and magnetic potentials. This transformation is important in the study of electromagnetism and has led to the development of the theory of quantum electrodynamics.