What Are Basic Questions About Understanding Inequalities?

In summary: If x is -4, then it is an inequality because -4 is not a number that can be within the domain of -3, -2, ..., 2.
paulb203
TL;DR Summary
Why are there greater than or EQUAL to / less than or EQUAL to signs involved when it comes to INEQUALITIES if it's supposed to be about expressions that are NOT EQUAL to one another?
Hello. I have a GCSE level (or below) question about inequalities. I got the following from BBC Bitesize https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z9vkqhv/revision/1

"Inequalities are the relationships between two expressions which are not equal to one another. The symbols used for inequalities are <, >, ≤, ≥.

7>x reads as '7 is greater than x' (or 'x is less than 7', reading from right to left).

x≤−4 reads as 'x is less than or equal to -4' (or '-4 is greater than or equal to x', reading from right to left)."

I have two questions regards the above.
Are 7 and x the two expressions in the first example? Are x and -4 the two expressions in the second example?
And, why are there greater than or EQUAL to / less than or EQUAL to signs involved if this is about expressions which are NOT EQUAL to one another?
Regards the second example, for example (x is less than or equal to -4) ; what if x is -4? Then it's equal to -4 and not an 'inequality', yes/no?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
matthewphilip said:
Regards the second example, for example (x is less than or equal to -4) ; what if x is -4? Then it's equal to -4 and not an 'inequality', yes/no?
No. If ##x = -4## then a) ##x \le -4## and b) ##x \ge -4##.

Why do we have inequalities like ##x \ge 0##? Because they are useful. For example, the equation ##y = \sqrt x## is valid for ##x \ge 0##.

Likes paulb203
Thanks, PeroK. To check I've got the very basics before I ask about your answer; does x is less than or equal to -4 mean that the value of x could be -4, or -3, or -2, etc, etc?

matthewphilip said:
Thanks, PeroK. To check I've got the very basics before I ask about your answer; does x is less than or equal to -4 mean that the value of x could be -4, or -3, or -2, etc, etc?
We use a variable such as ##x## in two related, but subtlely different, cases in mathematics:

1) As an "unknown". Here ##x## is some number that we do not know, although we may be able to work out what it is. Or, we may be talking hypothetically about some particular number. For example:

##x## could be the length of an object in metres.

In this case, we might do some measurements that show that ##x < 10##. That is then some information about our unknown number.

2) As a "variable" that is allowed to take all values in some domain. In this case, ##x## stands for each and every number in the domain. This is especially important when we talk about graphs and functions. We talk about the "x-axis", where ##x## represents each and every number along the number line. Not just one unknown number, as in case 1).

In this case, we may restrict our domain - e.g. the function ##y = \sqrt x## is only valid for ##x \ge 0##. So, here ##x## represents each and every non-negative number.

It was a huge insight by Descartes, I believe, to develop the idea of the variable ##x## in case 2). The ancient mathematicians tended to see ##x## only as in case 1) and that held back the development of mathematics.

Likes paulb203 and Lnewqban
matthewphilip said:
It might be best to picture the Number Line to help you visualize what the inequality means. Using the Number Line figure below, can you tell us the answer to your question?

1668202881384.png

https://d138zd1ktt9iqe.cloudfront.n...ber-line-negative-and-positive-1634275662.png

Likes paulb203, Lnewqban, mcastillo356 and 1 other person
Sometimes Bitesize oversimplifies things, particularly at the very beginning of KS3. A more complete definition would be
matthewphilip said:
Inequalities are the relationships between two expressions which can have values that are not necessarily equal to one another. The symbols used for inequalities are <, >, ≤, ≥ and ≠.

Likes paulb203
matthewphilip said:
7>x reads as '7 is greater than x' (or 'x is less than 7', reading from right to left).

x≤−4 reads as 'x is less than or equal to -4' (or '-4 is greater than or equal to x', reading from right to left)."

I have two questions regards the above.
Are 7 and x the two expressions in the first example?
Yes.
matthewphilip said:
Are x and -4 the two expressions in the second example?
Yes.
matthewphilip said:
And, why are there greater than or EQUAL to / less than or EQUAL to signs involved if this is about expressions which are NOT EQUAL to one another?
The reference stated the definition carelessly. They should have that the inequality symbols are ##\lt## and ##\gt##. Where the equal bar is included, as in ##\le## and ##\ge##, equality is also allowed.
matthewphilip said:
Yes, if x=-4. But ##\le## allows more than that in one symbol.

Likes paulb203 and Lnewqban
FactChecker said:
The reference stated the definition carelessly. They should have that the inequality symbols are ##\lt## and ##\gt##. Where the equal bar is included, as in ##\le## and ##\ge##, equality is also allowed.
Following @FactChecker's post I'll add even more to my definition:

Inequalities are the relationships between two expressions which can have values that are not necessarily equal to one another. The symbols normally used for inequalities are ## \lt, \gt, \le, \mathrm{and} \ge ##; we sometimes also consider ## \ne ## to be an inequality symbol. We call ## \lt ## and ## \gt ## (and also ## \ne ## if we are using it) strict inequalities, and although it is correct to read ## x \lt 4 ## as "x is less than 4" we can also read it as "x is strictly less than 4". We read ## x \ne 4 ## as "x is not equal to 4".

You can see why Bitesize simplified it.

Last edited:
Likes paulb203 and FactChecker
Those signs are important in negations: If we know that NOT (x<4) then we have (x≥4).

Likes paulb203
pbuk said:
We call ## \le ## and ## \ge ## (and also ## \ne ## if we are using it) strict inequalities
You made a typo here. It is < and > that are strict inequalities.

Likes pbuk
matthewphilip said:
Note that ##-3 > -4##. If we take ##x## to be an integer, then ##x \le -4## means ##x## could be ##-4, -5, -6 \dots##

Likes jbriggs444 and paulb203
DrClaude said:
You made a typo here. It is < and > that are strict inequalities.
Thanks, corrected.

What are inequalities?

Inequalities are mathematical expressions that compare two quantities or values. They indicate that one value is greater than, less than, or not equal to the other value.

What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality compares two values and shows their relationship, while an equation shows that two values are equal. Inequalities use symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥, while equations use the equal sign (=).

How do you solve an inequality?

To solve an inequality, you must isolate the variable on one side of the inequality symbol and simplify the other side. Remember to reverse the inequality symbol if you multiply or divide both sides by a negative number.

What is the difference between solving an inequality and graphing it?

Solving an inequality gives you a specific solution or range of values for the variable, while graphing an inequality shows all possible solutions on a number line or coordinate plane. Graphing can also help visualize the relationship between the two values in the inequality.

What are the rules for solving and graphing compound inequalities?

When solving compound inequalities, you must follow the same rules as solving a single inequality, but you must also take into account the connective word (and or or) between the two inequalities. When graphing compound inequalities, you must combine the individual graphs of each inequality using the correct connective word.