How Much Force is Needed to Move a Wire with Soapy Solution?

In summary, the force needed to move the wire in Figure 1 with a length of 16.0 cm and holding a soapy solution with a surface tension of 0.025 N/m is 0.004 N or 4.0 * 10-3N. This can be calculated using the equation F = γl, where γ is the surface tension and l is the length of the wire. The appropriate units for the force are N.
EmilyO89
Calculate the force needed to move the wire in the figure (Figure 1) if it holds a soapy solution (surface tension is 0.025 N/m) and the wire is 16.0 cm long.

Express your answer to two significant figures and include the appropriate units.

giancoli_cp7.ch10.p67.jpg

γ(surface tension) = F (force) / l (length)

3. My attempt at a solution

γ=F/l so γl=F

γ: 0.025 N/m

l: 16cm or 0.16m

0.025 N/m * 0.16m = 0.004 N or 4.0 * 10-3N

I know this must be ridiculously easy but I really can't figure out what I'm missing here. Do I need another equation to solve this problem? Am I messing up the units somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
EmilyO89 said:
Calculate the force needed to move the wire in the figure (Figure 1) if it holds a soapy solution (surface tension is 0.025 N/m) and the wire is 16.0 cm long.

Express your answer to two significant figures and include the appropriate units.

giancoli_cp7.ch10.p67.jpg

γ(surface tension) = F (force) / l (length)

3. My attempt at a solution

γ=F/l so γl=F

γ: 0.025 N/m

l: 16cm or 0.16m

0.025 N/m * 0.16m = 0.004 N or 4.0 * 10-3N

I know this must be ridiculously easy but I really can't figure out what I'm missing here. Do I need another equation to solve this problem? Am I messing up the units somehow?
I can't help at this time, but someone will pretty soon:) I just have time to say welcome to PF and hope you stay around and get to know some people:D

Likes EmilyO89
Look very carefully at the second part of the figure.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Look very carefully at the second part of the figure.

Chet

Got it. Thank you!

I knew it must be something simple like that but I was getting hung up because I just could not visualize exactly what this thing is supposed to look like.

Your approach is correct, but you are missing the units in your final answer. The units for surface tension (γ) are N/m, and the units for length (l) are m, so the units for force (F) should be N (newtons). Your final answer should be 0.004 N.

What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical phenomenon that describes the cohesive force between molecules at the surface of a liquid, causing the surface to behave like a thin elastic film.

Why is surface tension important?

Surface tension plays a critical role in many natural processes, such as the formation of droplets, the movement of insects on water, and the capillary action of plants.

How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension can be measured using a variety of methods, including the drop weight method, the capillary rise method, and the Du Noüy ring method.

What factors affect surface tension?

The surface tension of a liquid can be influenced by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or surfactants.

How is surface tension used in real-world applications?

Surface tension has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in the production of soaps and detergents, in the functioning of inkjet printers, and in the creation of certain types of food and beverages.