Basic Theory of Field Extensions - Exercise from D&F ....

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding Exercise 1 in Section 13.1 of Dummit and Foote's "Field Theory" book. The exercise involves finding the inverse of a given polynomial and the discussion focuses on the role of irreducibility in the calculation. It is clarified that the irreducibility of the polynomial ensures that the inverse lies in a specific field and not the base field.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Chapter 13 - Field Theory.

I am currently studying Section 13.1 : Basic Theory of Field Extensions

I need some help with an aspect of Exercise 1 of Section 13.1 ... ...

Exercise 1 reads as follows:
View attachment 6597
My attempt at a solution is as follows:\(\displaystyle p(x) = x^3 + 9x + 6\) is irreducible by Eisenstein ... ...Now consider \(\displaystyle (x^3 + 9x + 10) = (x + 1) ( x^2 - x + 10) \)
and note that \(\displaystyle (x^3 + 9x + 10) = (x^2 + 9x + 6) + 4\) ... ...

Now \(\displaystyle \theta\) is a root of \(\displaystyle (x^3 + 9x + 6)\) so that ...\(\displaystyle ( \theta + 1) ( \theta^2 - \theta +10) = ( \theta^3 + 9 \theta + 6) + 4 = 0 +4 = 4 \)Thus \(\displaystyle ( \theta + 1)^{-1} = \frac{ ( \theta^2 - \theta +10) }{4}\) ... ...Is that correct?

... BUT ... if it is correct I am most unsure of exactly where in the calculation we depend on \(\displaystyle p(x)\) being irreducible ...Can someone please explain where exactly in the above calculation we depend on \(\displaystyle p(x)\) being irreducible?Note that I am vaguely aware that we are calculating in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q} ( \theta )\) ... which is isomorphic to \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q} [x] / ( p(x) )\) ... if \(\displaystyle p(x)\) is irreducible ...
... BUT ...I cannot specify the exact point(s) in the above calculation above where the calculation would break down if \(\displaystyle p(x)\) was not irreducible ... .. in fact, I cannot specify any specific points where the calculation would break down ... so I am not understanding the connection of the theory to this exercise ... ...
Can someone please help to clarify this issue ... ...Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Peter,

Your answer is correct. The irreducibility of $p$ ensures that $\Bbb Q(\theta) \neq \Bbb Q$. The inverse you found lies in $\Bbb Q(\theta)$, not $\Bbb Q$.

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

Your answer is correct. The irreducibility of $p$ ensures that $\Bbb Q(\theta) \neq \Bbb Q$. The inverse you found lies in $\Bbb Q(\theta)$, not $\Bbb Q$.
Thanks Euge ... appreciate the help ...

Peter

What is the basic theory of field extensions?

The basic theory of field extensions is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra that studies the relationship between fields and their extensions. It involves understanding how a smaller field can be extended to a larger field by adding new elements, and how these new elements interact with the existing elements.

What is the significance of studying field extensions?

Studying field extensions is important because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of fields in a more general and abstract way. This has applications in various areas of mathematics, including algebraic geometry, number theory, and cryptography.

What is the difference between a finite and infinite field extension?

A finite field extension is one in which the extension field has a finite number of elements, while an infinite field extension has an infinite number of elements. In other words, a finite extension adds a finite number of elements to the base field, while an infinite extension adds an infinite number of elements.

Can every field be extended?

No, not every field can be extended. For example, the field of real numbers cannot be extended, as it is already complete and contains all of its algebraic numbers. However, many fields, such as the rational numbers and algebraic numbers, can be extended.

What are some applications of field extensions?

Field extensions have applications in various branches of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry, number theory, and cryptography. They are also used in physics and engineering to study vector fields and other mathematical objects that have extensions to larger or more complex fields.