Basis of kernel and image

In summary, the conversation discusses a transformation matrix of a given matrix with respect to a given basis, and the process of finding the kernel and image of the transformation. It is shown that the basis of the kernel can be found by solving for the null space of the matrix or by using the transformation matrix, and that the basis of the image can be found by considering the column vectors of the transformation matrix. The correctness of the calculations is also confirmed.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $A\in \mathbb{C}^{2\times 2}$ and $L_A:\mathbb{C}^{2\times 2}\rightarrow \mathbb{C}^{2\times 2}, \ X\mapsto A\cdot X$.

We consider the matrix \begin{equation*}A=\begin{pmatrix}-1 & 2 \\ 2 & -4\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} and the basis \begin{equation*}B=\left \{\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix} , \begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\right \}\end{equation*}

I have calculated the transformation matrix of $L_A$ in respect to the basis, which is the following:
\begin{equation*}C=\begin{pmatrix}-1 & 0 &2 &0 \\ 0 &-1 & 0 & 2 \\ 2 & 0 & -4 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 & -4\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}

I want to determine a basis of the kernel of $L_A$ and a basis of the image of $L_A$.

Can we determine these using the transformation matrix $C$ ? Or how can we calculated the bases? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

Let $A\in \mathbb{C}^{2\times 2}$ and $L_A:\mathbb{C}^{2\times 2}\rightarrow \mathbb{C}^{2\times 2}, \ X\mapsto A\cdot X$.

We consider the matrix \begin{equation*}A=\begin{pmatrix}-1 & 2 \\ 2 & -4\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} and the basis \begin{equation*}B=\left \{\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix} , \begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\right \}\end{equation*}

I have calculated the transformation matrix of $L_A$ in respect to the basis, which is the following:
\begin{equation*}C=\begin{pmatrix}-1 & 0 &2 &0 \\ 0 &-1 & 0 & 2 \\ 2 & 0 & -4 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & 0 & -4\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}

I want to determine a basis of the kernel of $L_A$ and a basis of the image of $L_A$.

Can we determine these using the transformation matrix $C$ ? Or how can we calculated the bases? (Wondering)

Hey mathmari!

Yes.

Let $X=\begin{pmatrix} w&x\\y&z\end{pmatrix}$. Then the representation of $X$ with respect to the basis $B$ is $\mathbf x = \begin{pmatrix}w\\x\\y\\z\end{pmatrix}$, isn't it?

So we can find the kernel by either solving $AX=0$ or by solving $C\mathbf x = \mathbf 0$. (Thinking)

To find the image, consider that each column in $C$ represents a matrix in the image.
Can we find a basis from the column vectors in $C$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Let $X=\begin{pmatrix} w&x\\y&z\end{pmatrix}$. Then the representation of $X$ with respect to the basis $B$ is $\mathbf x = \begin{pmatrix}w\\x\\y\\z\end{pmatrix}$, isn't it?

Why is that the representation? I got stuck right now. (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
So we can find the kernel by either solving $AX=0$ or by solving $C\mathbf x = \mathbf 0$. (Thinking)

Ah ok! So the kernel is $\ker (L_A)=\{X\in \mathbb{C}^{2\times 2} \mid L_A(X)=O \}=\{X\in \mathbb{C}^{2\times 2} \mid A\cdot X=O \}$.

So \begin{align*}A\cdot X=O\Rightarrow \begin{pmatrix}-1 & 2 \\ 2 & -4\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} w & x\\ y&z\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 0&0 \\ 0&0\end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow \begin{pmatrix}-w+2y & -x+2z \\ 2w-4y & 2x-4z\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 0&0 \\ 0&0\end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow \begin{cases} -w+2y=0 \\ -x+2z=0 \\ 2w-4y=0 \\ 2x-4z=0\end{cases}\Rightarrow \begin{cases} w=2y \\ x=2z\end{cases}\end{align*} So we get the kernel \begin{equation*}\left \{\begin{pmatrix} 2y & 2z\\ y&z\end{pmatrix}\middle |y,z\in \mathbb{C}\right \}=\left \{y\begin{pmatrix} 2 & 0\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}+z\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 2\\ 0&1\end{pmatrix}\middle |y,z\in \mathbb{C}\right \}\end{equation*}
The basis is then \begin{equation*}\left \{\begin{pmatrix} 2 & 0\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 2\\ 0&1\end{pmatrix}\right \}=\left \{2\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0\\ 0&0\end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}, 2\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1\\ 0&0\end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0\\ 0&1\end{pmatrix}\right \}=\left \{2b_1+b_3, 2b_2+b_4\right \}\end{equation*}
where $b_1=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}, \ b_2=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix} , \ b_3=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}, \ b_4=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$.

Is everything correct? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
To find the image, consider that each column in $C$ represents a matrix in the image.
Can we find a basis from the column vectors in $C$? (Wondering)

The first two vectors of $C$ form the basis, or not? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I like Serena said:

Why is that the representation? I got stuck right now.

The meaning of the representation $\mathbf x = \begin{pmatrix}w\\x\\y\\z\end{pmatrix}$ with respect to a basis $\{\mathbf b_1, \mathbf b_2, \mathbf b_3, \mathbf b_4\}$ is that $\mathbf x = w\mathbf b_1 + x\mathbf b_2 + y\mathbf b_3 + z\mathbf b_4$.
It's just that if we don't mention a basis, it is assumed that we mean the standard basis $\{\mathbf e_1, \mathbf e_2, \mathbf e_3, \mathbf e_4\}$.

I like Serena said:
Ah ok! So the kernel is $\ker (L_A)=\{X\in \mathbb{C}^{2\times 2} \mid L_A(X)=O \}=\{X\in \mathbb{C}^{2\times 2} \mid A\cdot X=O \}$.

So \begin{align*}A\cdot X=O\Rightarrow \begin{pmatrix}-1 & 2 \\ 2 & -4\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} w & x\\ y&z\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 0&0 \\ 0&0\end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow \begin{pmatrix}-w+2y & -x+2z \\ 2w-4y & 2x-4z\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 0&0 \\ 0&0\end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow \begin{cases} -w+2y=0 \\ -x+2z=0 \\ 2w-4y=0 \\ 2x-4z=0\end{cases}\Rightarrow \begin{cases} w=2y \\ x=2z\end{cases}\end{align*} So we get the kernel \begin{equation*}\left \{\begin{pmatrix} 2y & 2z\\ y&z\end{pmatrix}\middle |y,z\in \mathbb{C}\right \}=\left \{y\begin{pmatrix} 2 & 0\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}+z\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 2\\ 0&1\end{pmatrix}\middle |y,z\in \mathbb{C}\right \}\end{equation*}
The basis is then \begin{equation*}\left \{\begin{pmatrix} 2 & 0\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 2\\ 0&1\end{pmatrix}\right \}=\left \{2\begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0\\ 0&0\end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0\\ 1&0\end{pmatrix}, 2\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1\\ 0&0\end{pmatrix}+\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0\\ 0&1\end{pmatrix}\right \}=\left \{2b_1+b_3, 2b_2+b_4\right \}\end{equation*}
where $b_1=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix}, \ b_2=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0\end{pmatrix} , \ b_3=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}, \ b_4=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$.

Is everything correct?

Yep. All correct.
And we'll find the same result if we solve $C\mathbf x = \mathbf 0$.

I like Serena said:
The first two vectors of $C$ form the basis, or not?

Yep. Can we write those 2 vectors in $C$ as a basis? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
The meaning of the representation $\mathbf x = \begin{pmatrix}w\\x\\y\\z\end{pmatrix}$ with respect to a basis $\{\mathbf b_1, \mathbf b_2, \mathbf b_3, \mathbf b_4\}$ is that $\mathbf x = w\mathbf b_1 + x\mathbf b_2 + y\mathbf b_3 + z\mathbf b_4$.
It's just that if we don't mention a basis, it is assumed that we mean the standard basis $\{\mathbf e_1, \mathbf e_2, \mathbf e_3, \mathbf e_4\}$.

Ah ok!

I like Serena said:
Yep. Can we write those 2 vectors in $C$ as a basis? (Wondering)

We have that the basis is \begin{equation*}\left \{\begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ 0 \\ 2 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ -1 \\ 0 \\ 2\end{pmatrix}\right \}=\left \{-b_1+2b_3, -b_2+2b_4\right \}\end{equation*} right? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Ah ok!

We have that the basis is \begin{equation*}\left \{\begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ 0 \\ 2 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}, \begin{pmatrix}0 \\ -1 \\ 0 \\ 2\end{pmatrix}\right \}=\left \{-b_1+2b_3, -b_2+2b_4\right \}\end{equation*} right? (Wondering)

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

Great! Thank you very much! (Mmm)

What is the difference between the kernel and image in a computer system?

The kernel is the core component of an operating system that manages the system's resources and provides essential services for other programs to run. It acts as a bridge between the hardware and software. On the other hand, an image is a snapshot or copy of the entire operating system, including the kernel and all its associated programs, files, and configurations.

How does the kernel interact with the image in a computer system?

The kernel is responsible for loading and managing the image, which contains the entire operating system. It executes the instructions in the image and allocates resources to different programs running on the system. The kernel also provides a layer of security by controlling access to the hardware and managing system resources.

What are the different types of kernels and images?

The most common types of kernels are monolithic kernels, microkernels, and hybrid kernels. Monolithic kernels contain all the essential operating system functions in a single executable file, while microkernels only contain the most basic functions, with other services running as separate processes. Hybrid kernels combine features of both monolithic and microkernels. Image types can vary depending on the operating system, but the most common are boot images, system images, and recovery images.

Can the kernel and image be modified or customized?

Yes, both the kernel and image can be modified and customized to suit the specific needs of a system. For example, the kernel can be optimized for performance, security or modified to support new hardware or software. The image can be customized by adding or removing programs, changing configurations, and installing updates or patches.

How does the kernel and image impact the overall performance of a computer system?

The kernel and image play a crucial role in the overall performance of a computer system. A well-designed kernel can improve system stability, security, and overall performance. An optimized image can also lead to faster boot times, efficient resource allocation, and smoother program execution.