Basketball shot with just x and y distance and angle

In summary, the player should throw the ball at a speed of v so that it goes directly into the basket.
IAmPat

Homework Statement

At its farthest point, the three-point line is 7.24 meters away from the basket in the NBA. A basketball player stands at this Int point and releases his shot from a height of 2.05 meters at a 35.0 degree angle. The basket is 3.05 meters off the ground.
The player wants the ball to go directly in (no bank shots). At what speed should he throw the ball?

Change in Y = 1 meter
Change in X = 7.24 meters
Angle Theta = 35.0
Vx = ?
Vy = ?
Voy = Initial Y Velocity
Vox = Initial X Velocity
t = ?

Homework Equations

Vox = Vo * Cos(35)
Voy = Vo * Sn(35)
Change Y = Voy*t + 1/2*(-9.8)*(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Been attempting for days. I feel like I don't have enough information to complete the problem. If I had the initial x or y velocity, or the time it took to get from 0 to 7.24 I could do the problem easily, but I don't know how to get those with just this information.

I need to find the velocity at which he should shoot to make it straight into the basket

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Pat! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

call the speed v, and do x and y equations separately, to find t

(obviously, it has to be the same t !)

then eliminate t :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Pat! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

call the speed v, and do x and y equations separately, to find t

(obviously, it has to be the same t !)

then eliminate t :wink:

I'm confused as to which x and y equations you're referring to. Won't I still not have enough information to get any of the variables?

(just got up :zzz: …)
IAmPat said:
I'm confused as to which x and y equations you're referring to.

Sorry :redface: … by x I meant horizontal, and by y I meant vertical.
Won't I still not have enough information to get any of the variables?

Try it and see! :smile:

, correct?

I would approach this problem by first identifying the known variables and using the appropriate equations to solve for the unknowns. In this case, the known variables are the change in x and y distance, the angle of release, and the initial height of the ball. The unknowns are the initial x and y velocities, as well as the time it takes for the ball to reach the basket.

To solve for the initial x and y velocities, we can use the equations Vx = Vo * Cos(35) and Vy = Vo * Sin(35). This will give us the components of the initial velocity in the x and y directions. We can then use the equation Change Y = Voy*t + 1/2*(-9.8)*(t^2) to solve for the time it takes for the ball to reach the basket. Once we have the time, we can use it to solve for the initial x velocity using the equation Change X = Vox * t. Finally, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the initial velocity, which is the speed at which the player should throw the ball to make it directly into the basket.

It is important to note that these equations assume a perfect environment with no air resistance and a perfectly flat surface. In reality, the ball's trajectory will be affected by air resistance and the surface of the court, so the calculated speed may not be exact. However, this approach will provide a good estimate for the required speed and can be adjusted for real-life conditions.

1. How can you calculate the trajectory of a basketball shot using only the distance and angle?

To calculate the trajectory of a basketball shot with only the distance and angle, you can use the following equation:
height = distance * tan(angle) - (9.8 * distance^2) / (2 * initial velocity^2 * cos(angle)^2)
This equation takes into account the angle of the shot, the initial velocity of the ball, and the force of gravity to determine the height of the ball at any given distance.

2. How does the angle of a basketball shot affect its trajectory?

The angle of a basketball shot directly affects its trajectory. A shot with a higher angle will have a steeper trajectory and will result in a higher arc, while a shot with a lower angle will have a flatter trajectory with a lower arc. The angle also affects the distance the ball will travel, as a higher angle will result in a shorter distance and a lower angle will result in a longer distance.

3. How does the distance of a basketball shot affect its trajectory?

The distance of a basketball shot also plays a significant role in its trajectory. The further the distance, the longer the ball will be in the air and the more time gravity will have to affect its trajectory. This means that a shot with a greater distance will have a lower arc and will fall at a steeper angle compared to a shot with a shorter distance.

4. What is the optimal angle for a basketball shot?

The optimal angle for a basketball shot can vary depending on the distance from the hoop and the player's shooting style. However, studies have shown that a 45-degree angle is considered to be the most efficient for maximizing the chances of a successful shot. This angle allows for a good balance between distance and arc, giving the ball a better chance of going through the hoop.

5. How can understanding the trajectory of a basketball shot help improve shooting accuracy?

Understanding the trajectory of a basketball shot can greatly improve shooting accuracy by allowing players to adjust their shots based on the distance and angle. By knowing the optimal angle for a certain distance, players can adjust their shots accordingly to increase their chances of making the shot. It also helps players understand how to compensate for the force of gravity and how to adjust their shots for different shooting positions on the court.