Batteries of the Tesla model S and 3

In summary, the conversation discusses the cost and efficiency of batteries used in Tesla Model S and 3 vehicles. The batteries are small and expensive due to the need for precise manufacturing and control. It is unlikely that there is a cheaper alternative that can match the performance of the Tesla batteries. The cooling and control package is a key factor in the cost of the batteries, and Tesla is working on reducing the cost through their Gigafactory and the release of the Model 3.
Allen Age Haynes
Hello! I have a good question to about the possibility of making a descent power output on batteries on tesla model vehicles s and 3. The batteries that are 3 quarters inch long placed in a cell at the bottom of those vehicles. It costs 4 to 5 thousand to replace the cell if damage or not reusable with a 8 to 10 year warranty free service. Each battery cost 20 dollars to replace lithium ion battery. I would like to know if you can come up with a solution of an output equivalent for 5 dollars instead of 20 dollars on the it's power efficiency to put on the cell that is 3 quarters inch long. Using the math of hours of amperage and Faraday in mathematic formula. Please if you can send me a message about this, please contact me. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It seems that you want to know if there is a cheaper alternative to the Tesla brand batteries, which will perform just as well? From what I can find, the Tesla company benefits from economy of scale in its batteries. So I doubt there is something that you could buy, which would be cheaper and deliver the same level of performance.

As I understand it Tesla use thousands of small batteries. The load and charging currents must be shared between all of these cells equally. One miss matched cell and there will be trouble, possibly including an increased risk of fire. I suspect that close manufacturing tolerances (eg Good quality control) is also needed to ensure the cells are well matched. There will be other reasons the cells are expensive.

Likes Allen Age Haynes
CWatters said:
As I understand it Tesla use thousands of small batteries. The load and charging currents must be shared between all of these cells equally. One miss matched cell and there will be trouble, possibly including an increased risk of fire. I suspect that close manufacturing tolerances (eg Good quality control) is also needed to ensure the cells are well matched. There will be other reasons the cells are expensive.
I probably have to ask a tesla dealer!

Allen Age Haynes said:
I probably have to ask a tesla dealer!
From my limited experience, the people in Tesla dealerships are not that focused on the details of the battery subsystem. Their emphasis is on the overall car.

Afaik, the actual batteries used by Tesla are Panasonic 18650s, a standard size battery readily available for retail purchase.
Amazon will sell you a 4-pack for $26.88 here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HOWL44M/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The secret sauce in the Tesla system is the cooling and control package that holds the batteries. That manages the power flows for charging and ensures the batteries see similar loads and depletion rates. I think it is where much of the added cost you note is incurred.
Tesla is of course trying hard to push down the price of the batteries as well, that is where their Gigafactory comes in. Also, the new lower cost Model 3 will greatly expand the market for the cooling and control package, which should also help cut costs a lot, for the high end Model S as well as the smaller Model 3.

1. What type of batteries are used in the Tesla Model S and 3?

The Tesla Model S and 3 use lithium-ion batteries, specifically nickel-cobalt-aluminum (NCA) batteries. These batteries are known for their high energy density and long lifespan.

2. How long do the batteries last in a Tesla Model S and 3?

The lifespan of the batteries in a Tesla Model S and 3 depends on several factors, such as usage, charging habits, and environmental conditions. On average, these batteries are designed to last for 300,000 to 500,000 miles before needing to be replaced.

3. How many batteries are in a Tesla Model S and 3?

The exact number of batteries in a Tesla Model S and 3 varies depending on the battery pack size. The Model S can have anywhere from 8,256 to 8,976 individual battery cells, while the Model 3 can have 2,976 to 4,416 cells.

4. What is the range of a fully charged battery in a Tesla Model S and 3?

The range of a fully charged battery in a Tesla Model S and 3 also varies depending on the battery pack size. The Model S has a range of 402 to 373 miles, while the Model 3 has a range of 315 to 353 miles.

5. How long does it take to charge the batteries in a Tesla Model S and 3?

The charging time for the batteries in a Tesla Model S and 3 depends on the type of charger being used. With a Tesla Supercharger, the Model S can be charged to 50% in 20 minutes and to 100% in 40 minutes. The Model 3 can be charged to 50% in 20 minutes and to 100% in 60 minutes. With a standard home charger, it can take 8-10 hours to fully charge the batteries.