Battery alone deflects compass needle?

In summary, the electric current in the battery caused the magnetization of the casing, which in turn caused the compass needle to be deflected.
Ebrightb

Homework Statement

I'm an introductory electromagnetism course and in lab we were observing how an electric current could deflect a compass needle. however, i also noticed that the batter itself (with no wire attached, so no current) could also deflect the needle. (for ex, if you brought the the + end of the d cell near the compass the needle would move). These were Duracell alkaline D batteries.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was that since there was a potential difference across the terminals of the battery, that when i moved the battery i was moving charges, thus creating a current and therefore a magnetic field that deflected the compass. However, it can't be just from me moving the battery because I took a magnaprobe to a stationary battery saw the same effect. I also saw this with other batteries, it was not unique to one. What could be causing this? Let me know your thoughts!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the explanation is much simpler. The battery casing is probably made out of steel (iron). What does that suggest?

Likes malawi_glenn, russ_watters, Entanglement and 1 other person
i thinks that...
the battery is charged and every charged particles have a magnetic field.

• Sad
Likes malawi_glenn
Dick said:
I think the explanation is much simpler. The battery casing is probably made out of steel (iron). What does that suggest?
So your suggestion is that since this battery has at some point been connected to a circuit, that current aligned the (what are they called, territories?)in the metal and thus magnetized the casing? If this is true, would i not expect to see this from a brand new battery?

hafiz ns said:
i thinks that...
the battery is charged and every charged particles have a magnetic field.
only moving charges create a magnetic field!

Ebrightb said:
So your suggestion is that since this battery has at some point been connected to a circuit, that current aligned the (what are they called, territories?)in the metal and thus magnetized the casing? If this is true, would i not expect to see this from a brand new battery?

I'm sure that's NOT what he is suggesting.

There is no need for the battery to be magnetised. Do you know how a compass is made?

Indeed, all the batteries I have tried are attracted by magnets.
Not surprising after reading that the positive pole is a cylinder made of steel.:)
See, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery
under "Construction".
It has nothing to do with being connected in a circuit or with the electric charge separation in the battery. It's just some steel interacting with a magnet.

yes, I understand any piece of metal is attracted to a magnet, but that would not explain why opposite end of the compass needle are attracted to opposite ends of the battery right?

Yes, it does. Any end of a magnet (the compass needle is a magnet) is attracted by steel.
And both ends of the battery have some steel. At least in my batteries. So any end of the battery is attracted by any end of the magnet.
This is it.
If you would observe some repulsion then you may assume that the steel casing have some proper magnetization.

Even if the battery would have produced some proper magnetic field, it would have been most likely shielded by the steel casing.

Ebrightb said:
yes, I understand any piece of metal is attracted to a magnet, but that would not explain why opposite end of the compass needle are attracted to opposite ends of the battery right?

Iron very easily picks up magnetization from any stray magnetic field. A few strokes of a magnet on a screwdriver will let it pick up screws. And it only takes a weak magnetic field to swing a compass.

Ebrightb said:

Does either terminal of the battery repel the needle?

CWatters said:
Does either terminal of the battery repel the needle?
yes, one end of the battery attracts one end of the needle/repels the other while the opposite is true for the other end.

Ok then than means the battery has become slightly magnetised. Probably when the cases are manufactured.

nasu said:
Yes, it does. Any end of a magnet (the compass needle is a magnet) is attracted by steel.
And both ends of the battery have some steel. At least in my batteries. So any end of the battery is attracted by any end of the magnet.
This is it.
If you would observe some repulsion then you may assume that the steel casing have some proper magnetization.

Even if the battery would have produced some proper magnetic field, it would have been most likely shielded by the steel casing.

This is the right answer.

Any ferromagnetic element will attract the magnetic compass needle.

sdinicol said:
This is the right answer.

Any ferromagnetic element will attract the magnetic compass needle.
Welcome to PF! FYI, this thread is 9 years old...

• Love
  • Informative
Likes nsaspook, SammyS and malawi_glenn

1. What causes a battery to deflect a compass needle?

A battery contains an electric current, which produces a magnetic field. When the compass needle is placed close to the battery, the magnetic field of the battery interacts with the Earth's magnetic field, causing the needle to deflect.

2. Why does the deflection of the compass needle occur only when the battery is turned on?

The deflection of the compass needle occurs when the battery is turned on because it is only when the electric current flows through the battery that it produces a magnetic field. When the battery is turned off, there is no electric current and no magnetic field.

3. How does the strength of the battery affect the deflection of the compass needle?

The strength of the battery, or the amount of electric current it produces, directly affects the strength of the magnetic field it produces. Therefore, a stronger battery will cause a larger deflection of the compass needle.

4. Can any type of battery deflect a compass needle?

Yes, any type of battery that produces an electric current and a magnetic field can deflect a compass needle. This includes both traditional batteries, such as alkaline or lithium-ion, as well as more advanced batteries, such as rechargeable or solar-powered batteries.

5. Is the deflection of the compass needle affected by the orientation of the battery?

Yes, the orientation of the battery can affect the deflection of the compass needle. The magnetic field produced by the battery is strongest at the poles, so if the battery is placed parallel to the compass needle, it will have a greater effect than if it is placed perpendicular to the needle.