Battery energy efficiency and Coulombic efficiency - what are they?

In summary: The coulombic efficiency of a battery is the percentage of the total energy that is lost during charging and discharging.A battery has a coulombic efficiency of 96% if it can convert 96% of the energy put into it during charging and discharging into usable power.A battery with an energy efficiency of 60% will lose 40% of the energy put into it during charging and discharging, while a battery with a coulombic efficiency of 90% will only lose 10% of the energy put into it.
Rich76
I'm looking at two different batteries for home energy storage. Both batteries have a coulombic efficiency in the upper nineties, say 96%. One battery has an energy efficiency of 90%, and the other has an energy efficiency of 60%. I believe both ratings represent loses of usable energy, but I don't understand entirely.

If I understand correctly, a coulombic efficiency of 96% means that if I charge a battery with 100 Wh of energy, I'll only get 96 Wh of usable energy on discharge..? Now, energy efficiency confuses me the most. I've read that it has to do with the charge and discharge C-rate. I'm assuming greater C-rates lead to greater potential for energy loss. But, how can a battery have for example a 60% efficiency rating if you don't know the C-rate? It would seem energy efficiency ratings would look like this instead: 60% @ 0.5C. Unless, there's a standard C-rate when one isn't shown..?

Lastly, a 60% energy efficiency rating seems awfully low, am I really losing 40% of energy?Thanks for any help, and sorry for my lack of education.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you mean charge rate when you say C-rate.

Think of resistive losses when charging a battery. At constant voltage, energy accumulates in proportion to current I, but losses occur proportional to I2.

If someone gives an energy efficiency without specifying charge rate, they are presuming a standard charge rate without saying so.

The possible range of energy efficiencies is 0% to almost 100%.

For home use, cost, size, weight, lifetime, storage duration, and fire hazard may be more important to you than energy efficiency.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Rich76
From the internet, coulombic efficiency or Faraday efficiency is the energy lost when electrons or ions participate in unwanted reactions, or if the electrolytic products are allowed to recombine.

The other losses in batteries are I2R (current dependent, ie charge/discharge rate) and voltage losses, ie to charge a cell you need to apply more voltage than the cell voltage, then to discharge the load voltage must be less than the cell voltage, this voltage differential is a loss in the system.

So energy efficiency is all of the losses put together and is heavily dependent on charge/discharge rate.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Rich76

1. What is battery energy efficiency and why is it important?

Battery energy efficiency is a measure of how well a battery can convert stored chemical energy into electrical energy. It is important because it determines the overall performance and lifespan of a battery. A higher efficiency means the battery can deliver more power and last longer.

2. How is battery energy efficiency calculated?

Battery energy efficiency is calculated by dividing the electrical energy output by the chemical energy input. This is typically expressed as a percentage, with a perfect efficiency being 100%.

3. What is Coulombic efficiency and how does it differ from battery energy efficiency?

Coulombic efficiency is a measure of how much charge is retained in a battery compared to the theoretical maximum. It takes into account factors such as self-discharge and side reactions that may reduce the battery's capacity. Unlike battery energy efficiency, Coulombic efficiency is not affected by the discharge rate or the amount of energy stored in the battery.

4. What factors can affect battery energy efficiency and Coulombic efficiency?

The type of battery chemistry, temperature, discharge rate, and age can all affect battery energy efficiency and Coulombic efficiency. Other factors include the quality of the materials used, the design of the battery, and the charging and discharging protocols.

5. How can battery energy efficiency and Coulombic efficiency be improved?

Battery energy efficiency and Coulombic efficiency can be improved by using high-quality materials, optimizing the design of the battery, and implementing efficient charging and discharging protocols. Additionally, advancements in battery technology, such as the use of new materials and designs, can also lead to improved efficiency.