Battery Powered Nichrome wire Heater help

In summary: Is it just for general use, or specifically for a specific purpose? This is for a specific purpose, I am going to be heating a liquid so that it can be used in a different project.
hbard21
Hello, I am new to this and need some help designing a project of mine.

I am trying to build a small battery powered heater using nichrome wire. I am going to be heating a liquid within a coiled copper tube and plan on heating it by wrapping the tube in nichrome wire.

Since this is a small project I need it to battery powered.

I am not sure about the exact temperature I wish to reach, but it is in between 120-200 degrees fahrenheit.

Also, I want this to heat up as fast as possible, so as I am aware the thinner gauge the wire, the faster it heats up, but I have also herd that thinner wire tends to break. However, since I am only heating it up to around 200 degrees, will this be a problem?

Basically what I need help with is what gauge wire I should be using and how much battery power will it take to heat it. Since it is small scale I was planning on using the smallest batteries possible, but this is just a prototype, so if someone could just tell me what voltage of battery I would need that helps just as much.

The tube in which the nichrome will be wrapped around will be around 3/8 of an inch thick.

Also, I have herd that the shorter the distance of wire, the faster it will heat. In my case, I want this heater to heat as fast as possible, hopefully in between 0 to 10 seconds. Therefor I have been considering dividing the nichrome wire that is to be wrapped around the tube to be sectioned off and powered independently from the next section, so it will heat up faster.

Please, I would appreciate any information and input anyone has to offer, thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
hbard21 said:
Hello, I am new to this and need some help designing a project of mine.

I am trying to build a small battery powered heater using nichrome wire. I am going to be heating a liquid within a coiled copper tube and plan on heating it by wrapping the tube in nichrome wire.

Since this is a small project I need it to battery powered.

I am not sure about the exact temperature I wish to reach, but it is in between 120-200 degrees fahrenheit.

Also, I want this to heat up as fast as possible, so as I am aware the thinner gauge the wire, the faster it heats up, but I have also herd that thinner wire tends to break. However, since I am only heating it up to around 200 degrees, will this be a problem?

Basically what I need help with is what gauge wire I should be using and how much battery power will it take to heat it. Since it is small scale I was planning on using the smallest batteries possible, but this is just a prototype, so if someone could just tell me what voltage of battery I would need that helps just as much.

The tube in which the nichrome will be wrapped around will be around 3/8 of an inch thick.

Also, I have herd that the shorter the distance of wire, the faster it will heat. In my case, I want this heater to heat as fast as possible, hopefully in between 0 to 10 seconds. Therefor I have been considering dividing the nichrome wire that is to be wrapped around the tube to be sectioned off and powered independently from the next section, so it will heat up faster.

Please, I would appreciate any information and input anyone has to offer, thank you!

Can you please tell us more about the application? What are you making?

thank you mdjenson, that actually does help alot, however my wire is going to be coiled. will this effect the numbers given in that site?

and unfortunately berkeman i am not legally allowed to divulge much more information about the application of the device. All i can really say that it is used to heat a liquid that is being run through the coil. if there is something specific you are wondering that would make helping me more clear, please feel free to ask and hopefully i can tell you to receive assistance.

Glad that helps - I have no idea in terms of the effect of coiling the wire. All of my applications have been straight wire. Sorry...

I was thinking a little more about this, and one thing to keep in mind is your current draw. I'm not sure what type of battery/batteries you are planning on using, but you will most likely be pulling a lot of juice - the discharge rate for the battery is something to pay attention to.

Also, be aware that your battery voltage may drop as your batteries discharge - this will alter your temperature.

If I may make a suggestion, I would recommend using a current limited bench supply for your initial development work. This will let you play around with various voltages without going through so many batteries.

thanks again. yeah, the whole battery issue is also a big concern for this project.

i will run some tests and hopefully everything goes well. thanks so much!

1. What is a battery powered Nichrome wire heater?

A battery powered Nichrome wire heater is a small device that uses a battery as a power source to heat a thin wire made of Nichrome, a type of resistance wire. The heated wire can be used for various applications, such as heating liquids or small objects.

2. How does a battery powered Nichrome wire heater work?

The battery supplies electricity to the Nichrome wire, which has a high resistance. As the electricity flows through the wire, it encounters resistance and converts electrical energy into heat energy, causing the wire to heat up. The heat generated can then be used for various purposes.

3. What are the advantages of using a battery powered Nichrome wire heater?

One of the main advantages of using a battery powered Nichrome wire heater is its portability. It can be easily carried and used in various locations without the need for a power outlet. Additionally, Nichrome wire is a durable material that can withstand high temperatures, making it a reliable heat source.

4. What are some common applications of a battery powered Nichrome wire heater?

Battery powered Nichrome wire heaters have a wide range of applications, including heating liquids for laboratory experiments, heating small objects for soldering or sealing, and even for creating DIY heated clothing or hand warmers. They can also be used for cooking, heating food or drinks on-the-go.

5. How do I choose the right battery for a Nichrome wire heater?

The type of battery needed for a Nichrome wire heater will depend on its voltage and power requirements. It is important to choose a battery with enough voltage to power the heater and with a suitable capacity to ensure it can last for the desired period of use. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's instructions or specifications for the heater to determine the appropriate battery type and size.