Battery to rival liquid fuels

In summary, the conversation discusses various avenues of research for batteries that could rival liquid fuels in terms of energy density for uses in solar power. Some potential options mentioned include ultracapacitors, fuel cells, and nanotech lithium ion batteries. However, these alternatives have their own limitations and challenges, such as scalability and safety concerns. The possibility of using alpha or beta-voltaics, which are commonly used in pacemakers, as an energy source for electric vehicles is also mentioned, but it may also pose environmental and safety concerns.
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I've been reading a lot about solar power recently and far greater uses that could be unlocked if we only had a viable way of storing the energy. I've encountered the fact that no battery as yet comes close to rivaling liquid fuels for as energy as well as research pursuing artificial photosynthesis in order to combine solar power with liquid fuels.

My question is whether or not there are any good avenues of research that promise to deliver batteries that, whilst maybe not equaling or out-performing, could offer specific energy/energy density reasonably close to liquid fuels? I've read about ultracapacitors and fuel cells but even they have energy densities hundreds of times smaller than liquid fuels.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mentioned ultracapacitors. This months Photonics Spectra has the article Supercapacitors created from laser-scribed graphene.

From Science Magazine:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/335/6074/1326

Abstract

Although electrochemical capacitors (ECs), also known as supercapacitors or ultracapacitors, charge and discharge faster than batteries, they are still limited by low energy densities and slow rate capabilities. We used a standard LightScribe DVD optical drive to do the direct laser reduction of graphite oxide films to graphene. The produced films are mechanically robust, show high electrical conductivity (1738 siemens per meter) and specific surface area (1520 square meters per gram), and can thus be used directly as EC electrodes without the need for binders or current collectors, as is the case for conventional ECs. Devices made with these electrodes exhibit ultrahigh energy density values in different electrolytes while maintaining the high power density and excellent cycle stability of ECs. Moreover, these ECs maintain excellent electrochemical attributes under high mechanical stress and thus hold promise for high-power, flexible electronics.

just musing here

for years I've been fascinated by the aluminum atom.
It binds so tightly with oxygen that Al was a rare metal until electrolytic refining and hydropower came alomg in very late 1800's.

Seems that energy you put into separate it ought to be available by letting it recombine.

I heard something about nanotech and lithium cells. I'd put my money there, if I had any.

Of course, there is always the nuclear option. Alpha or beta-voltaics are most commonly used in stuff like pacemakers. It's basically alpha or beta particles and a p-n junction. Simple things, I suppose. Those don't deliver enough power to really provide the oomph you'd need for an electric vehicle, but they apparently last quite a while.

Being similar in concept to photovoltaics, if they scale the same way that solar does, I suppose you could get it to power a car, maybe. The NIMBY factor gets pretty harsh as you scale it up, though. Having to decontaminate an entire block every time someone gets into a car accident would be a nightmare. I probably get enough radiation from decomposing radium underneath my house, injecting tritium into your electric garden trimmer the way you'd refill a butane lighter is where I say "no thanks".

dlgoff said:
You mentioned ultracapacitors. This months Photonics Spectra has the article Supercapacitors created from laser-scribed graphene.

From Science Magazine:

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/335/6074/1326
Interesting, looks promising from the perspective of the fairly simple tools and materials they use. I don't have access to the full article unfortunately so I'm not sure how such a device would compare to a liquid fuel.
jim hardy said:
just musing here

for years I've been fascinated by the aluminum atom.
It binds so tightly with oxygen that Al was a rare metal until electrolytic refining and hydropower came alomg in very late 1800's.

Seems that energy you put into separate it ought to be available by letting it recombine.
Interesting :smile: it seems this has been researched but there are problems with its deployment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium–air_battery
Kurinn said:
I heard something about nanotech and lithium cells. I'd put my money there, if I had any.

Of course, there is always the nuclear option. Alpha or beta-voltaics are most commonly used in stuff like pacemakers. It's basically alpha or beta particles and a p-n junction. Simple things, I suppose. Those don't deliver enough power to really provide the oomph you'd need for an electric vehicle, but they apparently last quite a while.

Being similar in concept to photovoltaics, if they scale the same way that solar does, I suppose you could get it to power a car, maybe. The NIMBY factor gets pretty harsh as you scale it up, though. Having to decontaminate an entire block every time someone gets into a car accident would be a nightmare. I probably get enough radiation from decomposing radium underneath my house, injecting tritium into your electric garden trimmer the way you'd refill a butane lighter is where I say "no thanks".
Radioactive cars? Yikes! I wouldn't say it was NIMBYish, think of how often car crashes happen (IIRC leading to 3000 deaths per month in the US) and now think of how much worse they would be if each was radioactive lol.

I have read about nanoengineered litium ion batteries but they seem to benefit in terms of faster charging and discharging rather than energy density.

1. What is a "battery to rival liquid fuels"?

A battery to rival liquid fuels refers to a battery that is capable of storing and providing energy at a similar level to traditional liquid fuels, such as gasoline or diesel. This type of battery would provide a more sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional fossil fuels.

2. How does a battery to rival liquid fuels work?

A battery to rival liquid fuels works by storing electrical energy in chemical form. When the battery is discharged, the chemical reactions release the stored energy in the form of electricity. This electricity can then be used to power various devices, similar to how liquid fuels are burned to produce energy.

3. What are the benefits of a battery to rival liquid fuels?

There are several benefits to using a battery to rival liquid fuels. Firstly, it is a more sustainable and environmentally friendly option, as it does not emit harmful pollutants like traditional liquid fuels. Additionally, it can be recharged and reused multiple times, making it more cost-effective in the long run.

4. Are there any limitations to a battery to rival liquid fuels?

One of the main limitations of a battery to rival liquid fuels is its energy density. While it is improving, the energy density of batteries is still relatively low compared to liquid fuels, meaning they cannot store as much energy in the same amount of space. This can make them less practical for certain applications, such as long-distance transportation.

5. What advancements are being made in the development of a battery to rival liquid fuels?

Scientists and researchers are constantly working on improving the technology and capabilities of batteries to rival liquid fuels. This includes increasing their energy density, improving their efficiency, and finding ways to make them more cost-effective. Additionally, there are ongoing efforts to explore and develop new types of battery chemistries that could potentially outperform traditional liquid fuels in terms of energy storage and release.