Battery with voltage V=12V is connected to the primary of a transform

In summary, a transformer with a battery connected to the primary and a resistor connected to the secondary will not have any current in the secondary if the primary is a DC voltage source. This is because a changing magnetic field is needed to induce a current in the secondary, which cannot happen with a DC current in the primary.
ThirdEyeBlind

Homework Statement

A battery with voltage V=12V is connected to the primary of a transformer. A resistor with resistance R =20 Ohms is connected to the transformer secondary. The transformer has an iron core with Np=200 turns on the primary and Ns=600 turns on the secondary. Assume the resistance of the wires is zero.

What is Is, the current in the resistor?

ekpjX.jpg

Homework Equations

Vs= (Ns/Np)Vp
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Vs=(600/200) * 12 V
Vs=36 V

V=IR

36V=I(20 ohms)
I =1.8A, but the answer is 0? Could someone please show me where I have made my error or how to arrive at the answer of 0 A?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Transformers require AC to operate. A DC voltage source on the primary will just run a DC current through the primary (limited by the primary's resistance). After any initial transient response when the voltage is first connected the current in the primary will be constant, so there will be no changing magnetic field to influence the secondary. So after an initial 'glitch' there will be no current in the secondary.

The answer dies not lie in calculations.
Do you know any of the electromagnetic theory behind a transformer?
What is it that causes a current in the secondary winding?
What is the nature of the current in the primary that causes that?

gneill said:
Transformers require AC to operate. A DC voltage source on the primary will just run a DC current through the primary (limited by the primary's resistance). After any initial transient response when the voltage is first connected the current in the primary will be constant, so there will be no changing magnetic field to influence the secondary. So after an initial 'glitch' there will be no current in the secondary.
Thank you for the quick response and explanation. I now understand.

Based on the given information, the current in the resistor should be 1.8A. This can be calculated using Ohm's Law, V=IR, where V is the voltage across the resistor (36V) and R is the resistance (20 ohms). Therefore, I = V/R = (36V)/(20 ohms) = 1.8A.

It is possible that the answer of 0A is referring to the current in the primary of the transformer. In this case, we can use the equation V=IR, where V is the voltage of the battery (12V) and R is the resistance of the primary circuit (zero, assuming the wires have zero resistance). Therefore, the current in the primary would be 0A.

In summary, the current in the resistor is 1.8A, while the current in the primary circuit is 0A. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem and what is being asked for in order to arrive at the correct solution.

1. What is the purpose of connecting a battery with voltage V=12V to the primary of a transformer?

The purpose of connecting a battery with voltage V=12V to the primary of a transformer is to supply a constant and stable source of electrical energy to the transformer. This allows the transformer to function properly and efficiently.

2. How does the voltage of the battery affect the transformer?

The voltage of the battery directly affects the output voltage of the transformer. For example, if a 12V battery is connected to the primary of a 1:2 step-up transformer, the output voltage will be 24V.

3. Can a battery with a different voltage be used instead?

Yes, a battery with a different voltage can be used as long as it is within the operating range of the transformer. However, using a battery with a different voltage may result in a different output voltage from the transformer.

4. Why is the battery connected to the primary instead of the secondary of the transformer?

The primary of a transformer is designed to handle a higher amount of current than the secondary. By connecting the battery to the primary, the transformer can efficiently step up or step down the voltage without being overloaded.

5. Is it necessary to use a battery to power a transformer or are there alternative power sources?

A battery is not the only power source that can be used to power a transformer. Other sources such as a generator or power supply can also be used. However, a battery is often a convenient and portable option for powering a transformer.