Beam resting on 2 pivots | Problem in Rotational Mechanics

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque and the assumptions used to calculate it. The distance between the two forces giving rise to the torque is considered to be L/2 and the magnitude of the forces must be equal and opposite for the center of mass to not accelerate. The strategy used to calculate this is to take the end where the pivot is removed as the axis of rotation and use the formula for torque to calculate the angular acceleration and linear acceleration. It is also important to specify the location of the pivots and show the work to arrive at the answers.
warhammer
Homework Statement
A bar of length L is resting on two pivots. The weight of the bar is W (assume it is singularly concentrated at the middle) and it is in equilibrium as a result of the two pivots, both of which exert N normal reaction at their contact point. Since it is in equilibrium, the normal reaction N is equivalent to W/2. If one of the pivots is pulled from under the bar, what is the normal reaction at the moment it "just" starts to fall?
Relevant Equations
1) W=Mg
2) N+N=W (In equilibrium)
3) Torque=F*d
When one of the pivot is pulled, just at that moment a couple is formed due to the normal reaction from the existing pivot and the weight of the bar. From the assumptions given in the question, we can state that the distance between the two forces (N & W) giving rise to the couple is L/2.

Using the crude formula for Torque, we can state that L/2 is the perpendicular distance between the two forces. Hence Torque=N*(L/2) and consequently N=(2*Torque)/L

Please help me if my understanding is correct. If I'm making mistakes, please help me find those and rectify.

Physics news on Phys.org
Be careful how you use the term couple. The magnitudes of the forces must be equal and the directions opposite which means that the center of mass is not accelerating. Is that the case here?

kuruman said:
Be careful how you use the term couple. The magnitudes of the forces must be equal and the directions opposite which means that the center of mass is not accelerating. Is that the case here?

Sir I tried to assume so while it was on the verge of being pulled as asked in the question. But I don't think that's the case here. My assumption is wrong because this won't be the case when it is at the verge of being pulled and the system would topple as soon as it is released.

Upon recognising this, I have tried to formulate this alternate solution. We may take the end from where pivot is removed as the axis of rotation. Hence we will have moment of inertia about an end of the rod as ML^2/3.

We may take the torque as Mg*(L/2). Equating this with the another formula of torque which is I*α we can calculate the angular acceleration. From this we can calculate the linear acceleration "a". Finally we may do a vector addition of the forces at the said point; Mg-N=Ma. We can use the "a" value to conclusively find "N".

Is this correct sir?

You do not specify where the pivots are relative to the bar. Can you do that or, even better, provide a picture? Also, your strategy looks OK but it would be better to show how you apply it to get the answers. In short, please show your work.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
You do not specify where the pivots are relative to the bar. Can you do that or, even better, provide a picture? Also, your strategy looks OK but it would be better to show how you apply it to get the answers. In short, please show your work.

Surely. To elucidate further, the pivots are at the end of the bar. Please find a photo highlighting the steps I've used below~

Attachments

• 16091788643178727871290428358928.jpg
    16091788643178727871290428358928.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 118
In that case your solution is correct.

• Love
Likes warhammer
Thank you so much for helping me out!

1. What is the concept of "Beam resting on 2 pivots"?

The concept of "Beam resting on 2 pivots" refers to a problem in rotational mechanics where a beam is supported by two pivots, or points of rotation, at either end. This setup allows for the beam to rotate freely about the pivots.

2. What is the significance of this problem in rotational mechanics?

This problem is significant because it allows scientists to study the principles of rotational motion and equilibrium. It also has practical applications in engineering and construction, as it mimics the setup of many real-life structures.

3. What are the key factors that affect the behavior of a beam resting on 2 pivots?

The key factors that affect the behavior of a beam resting on 2 pivots include the length and mass of the beam, the distance between the two pivots, and any external forces acting on the beam, such as gravity or applied forces.

4. How do you calculate the forces acting on a beam resting on 2 pivots?

To calculate the forces acting on a beam resting on 2 pivots, you can use the principles of rotational equilibrium. This involves setting the sum of the clockwise moments equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments, and solving for the unknown forces using basic trigonometry and algebra.

5. What are some real-life examples of a beam resting on 2 pivots?

Some real-life examples of a beam resting on 2 pivots include a seesaw, a balance scale, and a bridge with supports at either end. These structures all rely on the principles of rotational mechanics to maintain stability and balance.