Bearing support for vertical shaft

In summary, the conversation is discussing the specifications for a short vertical shaft that will be supported by bearings at the top and bottom. The only axial load will come from the weight of the shaft and gears, estimated to be around 5 lbs, and the shaft will rotate at 1000 RPM. The question is whether a standard roller or ball bearing can handle the bottom bearing, or if a specialized design is needed. The suggestion is to use a pair of angular contact ball bearings, which would be suitable and cost-effective.
InterestedGuy
I have short (12") vertical shaft. The shaft will supported at the top and bottom by a bearing. The only axial load will be from the weight of the shaft and gears on the shaft. I'll estimate the total weight of the shaft and gears at around 5 lbs. Shaft will rotate at around 1000 RPM.

From a practical standpoint, do you think I can get away with a standard roller or ball bearing for the bottom bearing, or do I need a bearing design to handle axial load? If so, any suggestions what the cheapest kind of bearing that would work for the bottom bearing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A pair of angular contact ball bearings would be suitable .

1. What is a bearing support for vertical shaft?

A bearing support for vertical shaft is a mechanical component that is used to support a vertical rotating shaft and maintain its position while allowing it to rotate smoothly.

2. What is the purpose of a bearing support for vertical shaft?

The purpose of a bearing support for vertical shaft is to reduce friction and wear between the rotating shaft and its supporting structure, thereby increasing the lifespan of the shaft and ensuring smooth rotation.

3. What types of bearings are commonly used for vertical shaft support?

The most commonly used bearings for vertical shaft support are ball bearings, roller bearings, and sleeve bearings. Each type has its own advantages and is chosen based on the specific application and load requirements.

4. How do I determine the right size of bearing support for my vertical shaft?

The size of the bearing support for a vertical shaft is determined by the diameter and weight of the shaft, as well as the load and speed at which it will be rotating. It is best to consult a bearing manufacturer or engineer for proper sizing and selection.

5. How do I maintain a bearing support for vertical shaft?

To maintain a bearing support for vertical shaft, regular lubrication and inspection are necessary. The type and frequency of lubrication will depend on the type of bearing and the operating conditions. Any signs of wear or damage should be addressed immediately to prevent further damage to the shaft and bearing.