Becoming a Doctor: My Aim as a High School Sophomore

• Other
  • Thread starter Alia124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doctor
In summary, it sounds like you're doing a lot, and you're definitely passionate about becoming a doctor, but you should take things one step at a time and make sure you're doing well in your classes.
Alia124
I'm currently sophomore in high school and I came in USA last year of course everything is challenging for me but I want to be a doctor it's my aim. I'm going to take honor algebra 2, h-physics, h-pre calc , h-English 11, US history 2 and Spanish 1, verbal sat in my junior year and I also got some honor roll in this year also I'm thinking to take h-calculus , h-human anatomy and phys and may be AP physiology in senior year but I don't think that I can take AP courses because it's going to be so challenging for me may be its because my language is different but still I need some good advice that what should I do because I really want to be a doctor and I can do anything for it ! Thanks for reading it ...:)

Likes Levi Partridge
Physics news on Phys.org
Alia124 said:
need some good advice that what should I do
What is your exact question? If you're a sophomore in high school you have plenty of time to figure out what you really want. What you should do is relax, keep your grades up and enjoy your time being a kid. Once you hit med school your social life is over :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Once you hit med school your social life is over :smile:
Well Mr Bernhardt,I think that's not how it's going to be.If you have the undying passion for saving lives and creating a difference in the healthcare system,It's going to be a challenge.And a challenge is an opportunity that carries within it a necessity for progress.You make progress,You do what you dreamt about every single minute during your high school days and you finally get your rewards for it.
Doesn't it feel like hugging the social life is not an inch equivalent to the happiness you get from achieving your dreams?
Because for some people med school is a dream.

Eh, who needs a social life anyway

I think you should do subjects that you need to do to become a doctor if you've got your heart set on becoming a doctor, and that's definitely what you want to do, and then pick the rest by what you want to do or would help.

Just don't put too much pressure on yourself. It's better to do fewer subjects and get good results than to do twenty and get poor marks.

I don't have much of a clue how US schooling works though, or how similar it is to the education system in the UK

Good luck with getting there, anyway!

Likes Anithadhruvbud

1. What steps do I need to take in high school to become a doctor?

To become a doctor, it is important to take challenging science and math courses in high school, such as biology, chemistry, physics, and calculus. You should also participate in extracurricular activities related to the medical field, such as volunteering at a hospital or shadowing a doctor. Additionally, maintaining a high GPA and performing well on standardized tests, such as the SAT or ACT, will help you get into a good undergraduate program.

2. How long does it take to become a doctor?

The path to becoming a doctor typically takes around 8 years. This includes 4 years of undergraduate studies, 4 years of medical school, and additional years of residency and fellowship training. However, the exact timeline may vary depending on the specialty you choose and the length of your residency program.

3. What are the main challenges of becoming a doctor?

Becoming a doctor requires a lot of hard work, dedication, and perseverance. It involves years of rigorous academic and practical training, as well as a significant financial investment. Additionally, doctors often work long and irregular hours, and the job can be emotionally and physically demanding.

4. What qualities are important for being a successful doctor?

Some important qualities for being a successful doctor include strong communication and interpersonal skills, empathy and compassion for patients, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and a strong work ethic. Additionally, being adaptable, resilient, and having a lifelong passion for learning are also crucial for a successful career in medicine.

5. What are some alternative paths to becoming a doctor?

While the traditional path to becoming a doctor involves completing a 4-year undergraduate program followed by 4 years of medical school, there are some alternative paths to consider. For example, some universities offer accelerated or combined undergraduate and medical programs that can be completed in 6-7 years. Another option is to pursue a Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as nursing or biomedical science, and then apply to medical school. Alternatively, you can also consider becoming a physician assistant or nurse practitioner, which require less schooling and training but still allow you to work closely with patients and provide medical care.