Will getting a D in first semester AP Physics C cause my university acceptances to be revoked?

autumnhogan
I'm a senior in high school taking AP Physics C (equivalent of college calculus based physics mechanics and electricity/magnetism). Through junior year I had a 3.9 unweighted, 4.33 weighted GPA with all A's besides a B and C sophomore year due to mental health issues explained in my application essay. I did 3 years of varsity sports as well as being part of key club and national honor society (both volunteering clubs). I have been struggling with physics and am set to end semester 1 with a D. Will my college acceptances be revoked? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe.

I'm not sure what we can tell you, as it is not our decision. Colleges don't rescind decisions often, but they do. Besides, if we were to tell you "no, they won't" and they do, what is your recourse? Call them up and say "some strangers on the internet said you wouldn't! Unfair! Unfair!".

There's nothing to do but wait and see, and of course, try and get your grades back up.

Likes ohwilleke
Often, once you send in transcripts with a college application, the college doesn't follow up on grades earned after that. If you could take a lower level AP Physics exam, and scored 3, 4, or 5 on that exam, they college is unlikely to even notice.

On the other hand, if you did manage to really bust your a** and get a handle on AP Physics C and got at least a 3 on the AP Physics C exam, your grades would probably be irrelevant and you might even get the teacher to retroactively increase your first semester grade.

Of course, the school and program you were admitted to, and the general strength of your application, would matter as well. If you were admitted to a non-flagship state college and not in an engineering major, they probably won't care and might even give you props for even trying such an advanced course. Cal Tech, on the other hand, might have a dimmer view of this kind of development.

Likes autumnhogan
ohwilleke said:
the college doesn't follow up on grades earned after that
I have never seen that a college doesn't follow up. They may not care, but they do check. And while rescinding is rare, it absolutely does happen. \
ohwilleke said:
you might even get the teacher to retroactively increase your first semester grade.
I have never seen that happen.
autumnhogan said:
(equivalent of college calculus based physics mechanics and electricity/magnetism
Perhaps not. I know that's what AP says, but over the years it is becoming less so. That's partially why you are seeing colleges requiring 4's or even 5's when once they required 3's. Some places have stopped giving credit, or give general credit and not credit for that specific course.

That said, the point is well taken: a D followed by an A and a 5 will put you in better shape than a D followed by another D and a 1.

Likes PhDeezNutz
You should speak to your guidance counsellor and see what they advise.

Likes Math100, Vanadium 50 and ohwilleke
Vanadium 50 said:
I have never seen that happen.
I have seen this happen a few times, once with one of my kids and other times with their peers.

Likes autumnhogan
How do you know they didn't follow up as opposed to following up and not caring?

gwnorth said:
You should speak to your guidance counsellor and see what they advise.
Okay thanks! I spoke to my physics teacher and he said that because of my active participation in class he is willing to be flexible depending on what my counselor says. My physics teacher believes that due to the rigor of the course it won't matter, but I will attempt to convince my counselor of the importance of increasing my grade.

Likes ohwilleke
autumnhogan said:
Okay thanks! I spoke to my physics teacher and he said that because of my active participation in class he is willing to be flexible depending on what my counselor says.
"Flexible"? This seems very flaky; i.e., that the grade would be based on what seem to be subjective criteria rather than on objective measures such as your scores on homework and exams.
autumnhogan said:
My physics teacher believes that due to the rigor of the course it won't matter, but I will attempt to convince my counselor of the importance of increasing my grade.
If you wind up getting a D (or maybe a C) for the first semester, this doesn't bode well for your success in the second semester.

Likes Vanadium 50
Mark44 said:
"Flexible"? This seems very flaky; i.e., that the grade would be based on what seem to be subjective criteria rather than on objective measures such as your scores on homework and exams.

If you wind up getting a D (or maybe a C) for the first semester, this doesn't bode well for your success in the second semester.
Yes, but I am getting a tutor second semester, as the learning is very important to me.

Likes gwnorth
autumnhogan said:
I'm a senior in high school taking AP Physics C (equivalent of college calculus based physics mechanics and electricity/magnetism). Through junior year I had a 3.9 unweighted, 4.33 weighted GPA with all A's besides a B and C sophomore year due to mental health issues explained in my application essay. I did 3 years of varsity sports as well as being part of key club and national honor society (both volunteering clubs). I have been struggling with physics and am set to end semester 1 with a D. Will my college acceptances be revoked? Please help.
Update! My Physics teacher changed my grade to a C and my tutor is AMAZING!

• Love
Likes ohwilleke and berkeman
autumnhogan said:
Yes, but I am getting a tutor second semester, as the learning is very important to me.
Interesting way of thinking! Yes, the Learning may be very important to you. It really IS very important to you. It is so important that, you really should thoroughly review and restudy what you did not learn well so that you could learn it better.

autumnhogan said:
Update! My Physics teacher changed my grade to a C and my tutor is AMAZING!
Wonderful! Now, how well are you learning? Will another pass-through help you more?

I have to say having an assigned grade as the starting point for negotiation strikes me as unusual.