Becoming a Physicist: US Universities for High School Student from India

In summary, the speaker is a high school student from India with a strong academic performance and interest in physics and research. They are looking for suggestions on good universities in the US where they can pursue a major in physics and get financial aid. The speaker also mentions that their parents have limited funds and may not be able to afford top universities like MIT and Harvard. They want to know about other good universities where they can pursue their dreams of becoming a physicist/researcher.
anubodh
I am a high school student from India (in my last year)?Though my academic performance is great and i am confident of scoring 90% above in 12th.I am also doing a research with India's top research institution CSIR on Foot malodour and heading another research on mosquito resistance to repellents.My innovation was selected in top 10 from India in social innovation relay competetion.I have a deep interest in physics (spacetime,dimensions) and want to become a researcher.So, can you tell me about some very good universities (not the ivies because my percentage in class 11th was only 65% though i will still give it a try) where i can pursue a major in physics and get some financial aid (not necessarily if the university is good.
The fact is that my parents have nearly enough money to send me to any of the best universities like mit,harvard but if i do not get in a famous university (though it may be very good) then even i cannot force them to give me that much money.So please suggest some very good universities in us where i can study and pusue my dreams of becoming a physicst/researcher.
Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
anubodh said:
I am a high school student from India (in my last year)?Though my academic performance is great and i am confident of scoring 90% above in 12th.I am also doing a research with India's top research institution CSIR on Foot malodour and heading another research on mosquito resistance to repellents.My innovation was selected in top 10 from India in social innovation relay competetion.I have a deep interest in physics (spacetime,dimensions) and want to become a researcher.So, can you tell me about some very good universities (not the ivies because my percentage in class 11th was only 65% though i will still give it a try) where i can pursue a major in physics and get some financial aid (not necessarily if the university is good.
The fact is that my parents have nearly enough money to send me to any of the best universities like mit,harvard but if i do not get in a famous university (though it may be very good) then even i cannot force them to give me that much money.So please suggest some very good universities in us where i can study and pusue my dreams of becoming a physicst/researcher.
Thank You

MIT and Harvard are almost completely free. If they accept you, they make you pay only what you can pay, and they pay the rest themselves.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need-b...need_for_both_U.S._and_international_students

If you are good enough, according to the website, it does not matter how much money you have.

montadhar said:
MIT and Harvard are almost completely free. If they accept you,

That is a very very big "if", of course. ;)

jtbell said:
That is a very very big "if", of course. ;)
Of course it is, but I want to tell the OP that he has the opportunity to get accepted to the best universities in the world, and that if he does not manage to do that, it is because of his ability.

@anubodh : Now that you know that, you have no excuses :) Make sure that you do your best! Good luck in your application.

1. What qualifications do I need to become a physicist in the US?

In order to become a physicist in the US, you will typically need to have a Bachelor's degree in physics or a related field such as engineering, mathematics, or astronomy. You may also need to have a high level of proficiency in mathematics, as well as strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. Can I apply to US universities for physics as a high school student from India?

Yes, you can apply to US universities for physics as a high school student from India. However, it is important to note that competition for international students is typically high, so it is important to have a strong academic record and extracurricular activities to stand out in the application process.

3. What are some of the top universities in the US for physics?

Some of the top universities in the US for physics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, Stanford University, and Princeton University. However, there are many other excellent universities in the US for physics, so it is important to research and find the best fit for your academic and career goals.

4. Are there any scholarships or financial aid opportunities for international students studying physics in the US?

Yes, there are scholarships and financial aid opportunities available for international students studying physics in the US. These can include merit-based scholarships, need-based scholarships, and grants from both the government and private organizations. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.

5. What is the job outlook for physicists in the US?

The job outlook for physicists in the US is positive, with a projected job growth of 7% from 2019 to 2029, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. Physicists have a wide range of career opportunities in fields such as research, academia, and industry, and are typically in high demand for their problem-solving and analytical skills.