Becoming a Quant: Advice for STEM PhDs - Expert Insights

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, the conversation revolves around the OP's interest in becoming a quantitative analyst and their concerns about their current qualifications and background. They have a PhD in aerospace engineering with a strong math background and have done research in related fields. They are considering a postdoc opportunity in a lower-ranked school and are unsure if this would hurt their chances of becoming a quant. Other quants in the field have shared their experiences and suggest that employers are more concerned with relevant skills and knowledge rather than prestigious universities or degrees. Programming skills and knowledge of languages such as R, SAS, and Python are important in this field, and the OP is encouraged to consider studying for a CFA qualification. The conversation also touches on the importance of being able to solve quick math
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm interested in becoming a quantitative analyst, sometimes referred to as quant. If you're a quant, could you please give me your opinion of my current situation.

My PhD is aerospace engineering though my background is math heavy (just published in a mathy journal, for reference). In my work I analyze experiments (low-g fluids), theory (lubrication theory and spectral techniques), and simulations (OpenFOAM, an open-source computational package). I graduated in May and am currently postdocing. While I code frequently, I wouldn't consider myself a programmer.

I've become aware that quant is a thing, and after doing extensive research, it seems like a pretty cool fit for me. However, after reading the listings on Linked-In, it appears base requirements are PhD in STEM from a top 10 school. Fortunately I fit all requirements, but I can't help but feel I'm lacking on the programming side. Another postdoc opportunity came up that does machine-learning and robotics, and they're very interested in me. However, the school is middle rank (about 50-70 overall). Would postdocing at a school lower-tier hurt my chances at becoming a quant?

I'm not intending for this post to come across like a jerk, I'm sincerely unsure, and have asked a few quants in the field what they think, but I'd like a larger sample size. Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I work as a quant in Sydney, Australia. In my experience, our employers have almost none of the snobbery about prestige of job applicants' universities that American employers seem to have. All they usually care about on the educational front is whether you have good marks in relevant subjects from a credible university. And credible doesn't mean 'group of eight' (our most prestigious unis). It just means not being something like Liberty University (a type of institution of which we thankfully have almost none over here).

Another apparent difference is that here they care much less about letters after your name than about what you know and what you can do. A PhD seems a pre-requisite in the US whereas here most quants don't have PhDs, but often have other more relevant higher qualifications such as actuarial, Masters of Applied Finance or CFA.

You might consider studying for a CFA. It is a three-year study program, done by correspondence mostly by people working in full-time jobs at the same time. CFA is well-respected amongst quant employers here. Being a US-based qualification, I expect it would be well-respected over there too.

A lot of quant roles are programming-heavy but not all. But I think to be a credible quant you need to be able to some simulation and pricing calcs (or logistic regression and model-building if you work in credit risk). In less complex cases those calcs can be done in Excel but generally are much better done in 'languages' like R, SAS or Python. I would strongly recommend learning at least one of those three (or C++ or C#, but I find the learning curve for those bigger) and also some basic SQL (used for data extraction from big databases).

Where are you trying to get a job at?

Thanks for the replies. To answer the above, I know python, as well as a few other languages (no chance I could make it through the PhD without it). And I'm not sure where I want to work. Recruiters reached out, but I know so little about these roles, it's kind of intimidating looking.

My impression is they just want smart people who can do math and who can code. If you fit this profile it helps a lot. You seem to fit this profile. I bet you have more programming experience than a lot of theoretical physics PhD's whose only coding experience is mathematica. I wouldn't worry about that part.

I'd worry more about how well you are at doing quick math problems. It seems those companies really like brain teasers (since those are the only things you can really ask under time constraint). I'd make sure to be ok with basic probability/combinatorial type problems.

Last edited:
Likes member 428835

1. What is a quant?

A quant, short for quantitative analyst, is a professional who uses mathematical and statistical methods to analyze and solve complex financial problems. They typically work in the finance industry, using their technical skills to develop and implement trading strategies, risk management models, and other financial tools.

2. How can a STEM PhD prepare for a career as a quant?

A STEM PhD can prepare for a career as a quant by building a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and programming. It is also important to gain knowledge in finance and economics. Pursuing internships or research opportunities in finance-related fields can also provide valuable experience and exposure to the industry.

3. What skills are most important for a successful career as a quant?

The most important skills for a successful career as a quant include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, proficiency in programming languages such as Python or R, a solid understanding of financial markets and instruments, and the ability to work well under pressure.

4. Are there any specific certifications or courses that can benefit a quant career?

Obtaining a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) certification or completing courses in financial modeling, derivatives, and risk management can be beneficial for a quant career. Additionally, courses in machine learning and data analysis can also be valuable in the current financial landscape.

5. What is some advice for someone considering a career as a quant?

Some advice for someone considering a career as a quant includes gaining a solid understanding of the fundamentals of finance and developing advanced technical skills. It is also important to network and build connections in the industry, and to continuously stay updated on the latest developments and trends in the financial world.