Post Doc vs Quant with the Goal of Becoming a Assistant Prof

• Physics
  • Thread starter QFT25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    post doc
In summary: If you want to be a professor, you should really be looking into doing a research associate position instead of thinking that you can just hop into a professorship. A research associate typically has less work and responsibility but is compensated more. Additionally, you should really consider doing a research fellowship instead of a post doc. A research fellowship gives you the opportunity to do research while you are working on your PhD, which can help you develop the skills and experience that you need in order to be a successful professor.Lastly, you should be realistic about the amount of publications that you will be able to generate as a postdoc. Even if you are able to produce 3 or 4 papers a year, this is not enough to qualify for an
QFT25
I have been looking into what is like being a Post Doc in theoretical physics, and the impression that I get is that it is like graduate school, except you are paid a bit more money and some how you have much more work to do. I want to become a professor in theoretical physics but at the same time don't want to throw away the rest of my 20s and potentially early 30s making barely any money and being a economic liability to my partner. The type of research I do requires no university facilities and can be done with just paper, pen and a desktop. So I was thinking, how about instead of becoming a Post Doc after I get my PhD next year that I become a Quant, but still publish papers. I'll still be working like a madman, but I won't be a economic liability and during the few precious moments that I am not working I can actually live the life while I'm still young. If I get 3 or 4 papers a year published while being a Quant for a couple of years will that allow me to get an Assistant Professorship or is brutalizing yourself with a Post Doc the cultural requirement independent of ones ability to publish? I should add I can still work with my adviser as a Quant, but I would be more of a collaborator then the part of the traditional PI, Post Doc relationship.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dream on. You will probably be expected to work 50-60 hours a week as a quant. Do you really think you will have the time and energy to do quality research on top of that? You need to decide which is more important to you, the money or an academic position.

It is not impossible to publish while working, but as a postdoc you would actually be working to publish, which would make it easier and save you time. If you work and do publications, this means you would need to spend more time after work for publications, while you are saying that you need to have sometime to enjoy your life. Have you discussed your options with your PhD supervisor?

In addition to what has been said, I think you have the wrong impression of what the post doc is for. It is not only for producing papers at a high rate, but also to experience a different research environment, make new collaborators, and show your academic independence while doing so. There is no way you can do this without doing a post doc and collaborating extensively with your PhD supervisor is a sure way to get hiring committees to raise a red flag about academic independence.

In other words, I think you can completely forget about a carreer in academia if you do not do post docs and try to get a position while working with other things.

QFT25 said:
after I get my PhD next year

You were applying to grad schools a year ago. Can you explain how you were able to finish a PhD in a single year? (Especially as you should just be starting grad school around now) I think that's sufficiently atypical that it might influence the advice.

Likes jtbell
QFT25 said:
I have been looking into what is like being a Post Doc in theoretical physics, and the impression that I get is that it is like graduate school, except you are paid a bit more money and some how you have much more work to do. I want to become a professor in theoretical physics but at the same time don't want to throw away the rest of my 20s and potentially early 30s making barely any money and being a economic liability to my partner. The type of research I do requires no university facilities and can be done with just paper, pen and a desktop. So I was thinking, how about instead of becoming a Post Doc after I get my PhD next year that I become a Quant, but still publish papers. I'll still be working like a madman, but I won't be a economic liability and during the few precious moments that I am not working I can actually live the life while I'm still young. If I get 3 or 4 papers a year published while being a Quant for a couple of years will that allow me to get an Assistant Professorship or is brutalizing yourself with a Post Doc the cultural requirement independent of ones ability to publish? I should add I can still work with my adviser as a Quant, but I would be more of a collaborator then the part of the traditional PI, Post Doc relationship.

Thank you.

There is something weird, puzzling, and unrealistic in this post and with your view of what is in front of you.

1. You seem to have a view that publishing papers is like a production line, that you can whip out "... 3 or 4 papers a year..." just like that. And not only that, but while working as a quant as well! How many have you published during your academic years?

2. You have this notion that there is an Assistant Professorship job waiting for you. You seem to be forgetting that there WILL be competition for such a job, if there is an opening. And not only that, but you will be competing with a large number of candidates, with excellent "pedigrees", and probably who have done post docs with well-known supervisors. So how do you think you'll stack up against them?

3. How many assistant professor job openings, for theoretical physicists, in your area of specialization, have you seen advertised?

After what @Vanadium 50 has brought up, I am even more puzzled by what really is the situation here.

Zz.

Another factor to consider here is the transition from PhD student to quant. I'm not sure such a step is trivial. These days it may require some additional training or qualifications (depending perhaps on what you do for your PhD).

What is the difference between a post-doc and a quant?

A post-doctoral position, or post-doc, is a temporary research position typically taken after completing a PhD. It allows individuals to gain more experience and publications in their field before pursuing a permanent academic or industry position. A quant, on the other hand, is a quantitative analyst who uses mathematical and statistical methods to analyze financial markets and make investment decisions.

What are the benefits of pursuing a post-doc over becoming a quant?

Pursuing a post-doc can provide individuals with the opportunity to continue their research in a specific field and potentially gain more publications, which can strengthen their academic CV. It also allows individuals to network with other researchers and potentially secure a tenure-track position at a university. However, becoming a quant can offer a higher salary, job stability, and the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and competitive industry.

How does becoming a quant prepare individuals for a career as an assistant professor?

Becoming a quant can provide individuals with strong mathematical and statistical skills, as well as experience in analyzing and presenting data. These skills are valuable for an academic career, as assistant professors are often required to conduct research, publish papers, and teach courses in their field. Additionally, working in a fast-paced and highly competitive industry can help individuals develop a strong work ethic and time management skills, which are important for success as an assistant professor.

Can individuals pursue both a post-doc and a career as a quant?

Yes, it is possible for individuals to pursue a post-doc and then transition into a career as a quant. However, this may require careful planning and time management, as the demands of a post-doc and a quant position can be quite different. Additionally, individuals may need to consider the potential impact on their career goals and long-term plans.

What are some factors to consider when deciding between a post-doc and a career as a quant?

Some factors to consider include your long-term career goals, the job market in your field, and your personal interests and strengths. It's important to carefully weigh the pros and cons of each option and consider how it aligns with your future plans. Additionally, networking and talking to individuals who have pursued either path can provide valuable insights and perspectives.