Beer and Johnston Dynamics 9th 11.139 angular acceleration

In summary, the runner increases her speed at a constant rate from 14 to 24 ft./s over a distance of 95 ft. After 2 s, she has traveled 95 ft. and has an angular velocity of 18 ft./s. Her total angular acceleration is 2.53 ft./s2.
jaredogden

Homework Statement

An outdoor track is 420 ft. in diameter. A runner increases her speed at a constant rate from 14 to 24 ft./s over a distance of 95 ft. Determine the total acceleration of the runner 2 s after she begins to increase her speed.

Homework Equations

Vr = dr/dt
Vθ = r*dθ/dt
Ar = d2θ/dt2
Aθ = r*d2θ/dt2 + 2 dr/dt*dθ/dt
V = r*dθ/dt eθ
A = -r*(dθ/dt)2er + r*d2θ/dteθ
An = v2
At = dv/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

diameter = 420 ft. therefore ρ = .5*420 ft. or ρ = 210 ft.

An1 = (14 ft./s)2/(210 ft.)
An1 = 0.933 ft./s2

An2 = (24 ft./s)2/(210 ft.)
An2 = 2.74 ft./s2

I am not sure where to go from here. I know I can't use equations from rectilinear motion since this is angular. If I could find the time it takes her to run the 95 ft. I think I could use that to find an average tangential acceleration by At = Δv/Δt. If I could also find the speed at 2 s, use An = v2/ρ and find the normal component of acceleration. Taking the magnitude of the two would give me the total acceleration and α = tan-1(An/At).

I'm just not sure of the next step. I'm also not sure if that is the right approach.. Thanks for your time and any help ahead of time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Angular velocities and accelerations are given in rad/sec and rad/sec2 respectively. Presumably your An1 and An2 are meant to be angular velocities.

You can 'co-opt' the equations from linear motion if you change all the variables to their angular equivalents. So for example, v = a*t becomes ω = [itex]\alpha[/itex]*t. You can probably think of a linear equation that relates initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and distance. :wink:

I'm confused when you say presumably your An1 and An2 are meant to be angular velocities. I thought those were the normal components of acceleration. The units work out in ft./s2 as well.

Also, you are saying that I can use the equations for uniformly accelerated rectilinear motion for angular acceleration? I would assume that if I were able to use them they would give me the tangential component of acceleration correct?

jaredogden said:
I'm confused when you say presumably your An1 and An2 are meant to be angular velocities. I thought those were the normal components of acceleration. The units work out in ft./s2 as well.
My apologies. I didn't see the 'squares' (must be going 'terminal blind'). Yes, you've got the centripetal accelerations there.
Also, you are saying that I can use the equations for uniformly accelerated rectilinear motion for angular acceleration? I would assume that if I were able to use them they would give me the tangential component of acceleration correct?

Yes, and correct. Use the same equations but with angular measures.

Got it! From v2 = v2o + 2a(x - xo)

Substituting into get (24 ft./s)2 = (14 ft./s)2 + 2At (95 ft. - 0 ft.)

solving for At we get At = 2 ft./s2

Using v = vo + at substituting in for vo = 14 ft./s a = At = 2 ft./s2 and the given t = 2 s

v = 14 ft./s + 2 ft./s2*(2 s)
v = 18 ft./s

Using An = v2/ρ substituting in the v we just found and ρ = 210 ft.
An = (18 ft./s2)/210 ft.
An = 1.54 ft./s2

To find total A take the magnitude of At and An
A = sqrt((2ft./s2)2 + (1.54 ft./s2)2)
A = 2.53 ft./s2

EDIT: And thanks a ton for your helping along. I didn't think I could use those equations since the equations for finding the other values since the equations for finding velocity and acceleration changed for angular. However now it makes sense why I can.

Well done! :smile:

1. What is angular acceleration in Beer and Johnston Dynamics 9th 11.139?

Angular acceleration in Beer and Johnston Dynamics 9th 11.139 refers to the rate of change of angular velocity over a given time interval. It is measured in radians per second squared and is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated in Beer and Johnston Dynamics 9th 11.139?

The formula for calculating angular acceleration in Beer and Johnston Dynamics 9th 11.139 is α = (ωf - ωi) / t, where α is the angular acceleration, ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, and t is the time interval.

3. What is the difference between angular acceleration and linear acceleration in Beer and Johnston Dynamics 9th 11.139?

Angular acceleration refers to the change in the rate of rotation of an object, while linear acceleration refers to the change in the rate of motion of an object in a straight line. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

4. How does angular acceleration affect the motion of an object in Beer and Johnston Dynamics 9th 11.139?

Angular acceleration can affect the motion of an object in several ways. It can change the direction of an object's rotation, speed up or slow down the rotation, and even cause the object to come to a stop. It is also related to the torque acting on an object and can cause rotational motion to be either stable or unstable.

5. Can angular acceleration be negative in Beer and Johnston Dynamics 9th 11.139?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative in Beer and Johnston Dynamics 9th 11.139. This indicates that the object is slowing down its rotational motion. However, it is important to note that the direction of angular acceleration is dependent on the direction of the angular velocity and torque acting on the object.