Bees, Planes & Weight: Exploring the Physics

In summary, the conversation discussed the misconception that bees cannot fly based on the incorrect assumption that their wings are fixed like an airplane's wings. It was explained that the dynamics of airflow and the mechanics of insect flight are still not fully understood and are currently being studied. The three main flight mechanisms of insects were also mentioned, including delayed stall, rotational circulation, and wake capture. Further information on the topic can be found in scientific articles by Dickinson, Lehmann, and Sane.
KingNothing
Planes and Bees

Hey everyone...thanks ahead of time. This is a somehwhat general question.

A person concluded that a bumble bee could not fly, and his basis was that he determined that a plane with the same design and wingspan proportions etc. could not fly.

Now, of course this is wrong, but why is it that this particular method is wrong?

-----
I was thinking it was because of the fact that bees have moving wings, which seems pretty alright.

How does the wingspan of a plane vary with the body's size (mass)?

If you double a bee's mass, would doubling the wing size provide sufficient lift (assume mass varies directly with volume in living things)?

Also, aside from biology, why is it that smaller organisms such as ants can lift weight much more than their own (10 times), while mid sized can lift about 5 times their weight, and humans should lift about twice their weight (parallel squat)? There is some sort of physical relation, right?

Science news on Phys.org
The wings of a bee are not fixed like the wings of an airplane. As far as I know, we don't fully understand the details behind a bee's flying motion.

cookiemonster

the interaction of the pairs of moving wings
create a votex that increases the lift and that allows the bee to fly

Help refute insect flight

Recently a person claimed this:
We don't have the scientific explanation of how insects fly. By our knowledge of physics and airflow, its not possible. There ARE many theories, the most popular one being that the insect creates a vertical swirl of airflow by flapping its wings, and at the same time it allows that motion to lift itself up.

Now, I don't think it's true. I'm not positive it's wrong but I think it is. Could someone help me refute it if it is wrong?

The aerodynamic effects involved insect flight are poorly understood. To model the action of insect flight requires a much more sophisticated model than the ones that are usable for fixed-wing aircraft or for birds. Insect flight is currently an active field of study, and will probably continue to be one for an extended period of time.

Since different insects probably have a large variety of flight modes - think of the differences between butterflies, wasps, and beetles - there will probably be several different mechanisms involved in it.

The description of the mechanics in the statement are rather vauge, and are probably something that has been oversimplified by a scientist, further generalized by a journalist, and then poorly described for use in discussion.

The dynamics of the airflow is very different at the scale of a bee versus an airplane due to viscosity.

As for ants lifting so much, an object's weight scales as its size cubed: L^3. Its strength is given by the cross sectional area of a muscle, which scales as L^2. So as L gets big L^3>>L^2.

we do not need 2 threads debating whether or not bees can fly.

i once saw a programe about how they glued a dragonfly or something to a tip of something..or other.

it was still alive of course, and they made it try to fly while under a gas (with dirt particles or something) + high speed camara. if i remember right there was also a strobe light used but i might be thinking of another test with the light.

and they could SEE the airflow the wings was making.

first, the wings go up to meet each other, and kind of, 'peel' away from each other, removing almost all the air above the insect, and putting all that air below it, giving it LOTS of lift.

as for the size of something and its strenth, yes, the bigger something is, the less times its own body weight it can carry.

a 200 pound guy can lift more times his own body weight than a 500 pound guy. and the smaller you get the more times your own body weight you can lift.

but that's proberly what all those L^2 stuff means, but i desided to say something about it for people who don't know what any of that L^2 means. (like me)

Last edited:
Yes, that's what it means. Which works out somewhat bad for me, being a small football player (135-145) I thought I was genuinely lifting a better ratio than the 200 pounders at my school:P. Oh well, they still don't know the truth!

Actually, in the mid 1990's they analysed insects and described some of the main flight mechanisms. There are three: delayed stall, rotational circulation, and wake capture. Insect wings are oriented such that they have an extremely steep angle of attack (they flap them back and forth and rotate them at the end of every half cycle so that the edge hitting the oncomming air first is higher than the back side). A steep angle of attack generates stall, which creates a short lived vortex which pulls the wing upwards (delayed stall).

Indeed the reason a person concluded a bumblebee could not fly is that they assumed the airflow over the wing is constant with time, which would create a stall. The vortex created by this stall would initially pull the wing up, but it dies out very rapidly under a steady airflow and the experiment would conclude the insect could not fly. Insects flap their wings though, so more than one vortex is created. They are even able to 'ride' the vortex from a previous stroke (wake capture), and the rotation of their wings generate even more lift (rotational circulation).

For further info try and get your hands on these sources:
M.H. Dickinson, "Solving the Mystery of Insect Flight," Scientific American, June 2001.
M.H. Dickinson, F. Lehmann, and S.P. Sane,. "Wing Rotation and the Aerodynamic Basis of Insect Flight," Science, vol. 284, no. 5422, 18 June 1999.

Cheers.

Related to Bees, Planes & Weight: Exploring the Physics

1. How do bees fly despite their small size?

Bees are able to fly because they have a unique wing structure that allows them to flap their wings at a very high frequency, creating lift and thrust. Additionally, their bodies are designed to be lightweight and aerodynamic, making it easier for them to stay airborne.

2. What role does air resistance play in the flight of a plane?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of a plane through the air. It is caused by the friction between the air and the surface of the plane. Pilots must take air resistance into account when determining the speed and angle of the plane for a successful flight.

3. How does the weight of a plane affect its flight?

The weight of a plane plays a crucial role in its flight. The heavier the plane, the more lift it needs to generate to stay airborne. This is why planes have maximum weight limits and must be carefully loaded and balanced to ensure safe and efficient flight.

4. What is the significance of the center of gravity in a plane?

The center of gravity is the point at which the weight of an object is evenly distributed. In a plane, the center of gravity must be carefully monitored and controlled to maintain stability and balance. If the center of gravity is too far off balance, the plane may become difficult or even impossible to control.

5. How do scientists study the physics of bees and planes?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the physics of bees and planes, including observation, experimentation, and mathematical modeling. They may also use advanced technologies such as high-speed cameras and wind tunnels to gather data and analyze flight patterns and behaviors.