Effects of changing the angle on an inclined plane

In summary: It would be like a car suddenly running into a wall. It would be like a collision. In summary, increasing the slope too quickly can cause the log to fly off the slope due to an increase in normal force and a sudden change in velocity.
Pterostylis

Homework Statement

for an assignment, we must investigate physics in context, my selected context is a log flume ride, focusing on the final slope. the height of the inclined plane is 13m, the hypotenuse is 17m and the horizontal length is 11m, calculated with a scale diagram and kinematics (for horizontal length) using trig, the angle between the slope and the ground is 50 degrees
I am negating friction for the entirety of this report.
vf (at bottom of the slope) = 16m/s
vi (at top of slope) = 0m/s
mass of log (with people) = 240kg
time taken to slide down the slope = 2.22s
acceleration = 7.5ms-2
Normal force = 1511.8
weight force = 2352 i have decided to find what would happen if the angle is increased to 60 degrees
inorder to keep within the dimensions of a right angled triangle, and to keep the height the same, the new triangle (with the angle of 60 degrees) the horizontal length would have to be 7.5m and the hypotenuse would have to be 15m while the height remains at 13m

my physics teacher was saying that when the angle is increased, then the log will 'fly' off the slope, something about the normal force being too great? I, however, do not understand why this is.
also, would I be correct in saying that when the angle is increased that the acceleration increases because a=g sin theta.

overall, what will happen to the log as it is moving down the slope with an increased angle and why?

Homework Equations

Ep=Ek
Mgsintheta
mgcostheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked all of these quantities out except the length of the slide (which was given) and the mass of the log (given) using kinematics, law of conservation of energy and free body force diagrams

Thank you!
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Pterostylis said:

Homework Statement

for an assignment, we must investigate physics in context, my selected context is a log flume ride, focusing on the final slope. the height of the inclined plane is 13m, the hypotenuse is 17m and the horizontal length is 11m, calculated with a scale diagram and kinematics (for horizontal length) using trig, the angle between the slope and the ground is 50 degrees
I am negating friction for the entirety of this report.
vf (at bottom of the slope) = 16m/s
vi (at top of slope) = 0m/s
mass of log (with people) = 240kg
time taken to slide down the slope = 2.22s
acceleration = 7.5ms-2
Normal force = 1511.8
weight force = 2352i have decided to find what would happen if the angle is increased to 60 degrees
inorder to keep within the dimensions of a right angled triangle, and to keep the height the same, the new triangle (with the angle of 60 degrees) the horizontal length would have to be 7.5m and the hypotenuse would have to be 15m while the height remains at 13m

my physics teacher was saying that when the angle is increased, then the log will 'fly' off the slope, something about the normal force being too great? I, however, do not understand why this is.
also, would I be correct in saying that when the angle is increased that the acceleration increases because a=g sin theta.

overall, what will happen to the log as it is moving down the slope with an increased angle and why?

Homework Equations

Ep=Ek
Mgsintheta
mgcostheta

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked all of these quantities out except the length of the slide (which was given) and the mass of the log (given) using kinematics, law of conservation of energy and free body force diagrams

Thank you! [/B]
Yes, the acceleration would be ##g sinθ##. As to flying off the slope, it depends on the initial state. In your case the velocity at the top of the final slope is zero, so the log should stay in the flume. But, imagine the log sliding down the flume and then encountering a place where the slope suddenly increased. What would happen?

1. How does changing the angle affect the force required to keep an object on an inclined plane?

The force required to keep an object on an inclined plane increases as the angle of the incline increases. This is because the steeper the incline, the more the weight of the object is directed downward, resulting in a greater component of the weight acting parallel to the incline and therefore requiring a greater force to counteract it.

2. What happens to the acceleration of an object on an inclined plane as the angle is changed?

The acceleration of an object on an inclined plane decreases as the angle of the incline increases. This is because the weight of the object is directed more perpendicular to the incline, resulting in a smaller component of the weight acting parallel to the incline and therefore producing a smaller force and acceleration.

3. How does changing the angle affect the distance an object travels on an inclined plane?

As the angle of the incline increases, the distance an object travels along the incline decreases. This is because the steeper the incline, the shorter the distance the object needs to travel to reach the same height. This can be seen in the formula d = h/sinθ, where h is the height and θ is the angle of the incline.

4. Does changing the angle on an inclined plane affect the potential energy of an object?

Yes, changing the angle on an inclined plane does affect the potential energy of an object. As the angle increases, the potential energy of the object decreases. This is because the higher the angle, the less vertical height the object has and therefore the less potential energy it has.

5. How does friction on an inclined plane change as the angle is increased?

As the angle of the incline increases, the force of friction acting on the object also increases. This is because the steeper the incline, the greater the component of the weight acting parallel to the incline, resulting in a greater force of friction. This can be seen in the formula Ff = μmgcosθ, where μ is the coefficient of friction and θ is the angle of the incline.