Before buying a new laptop for engineering work....

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking to buy a new laptop for work. They have narrowed down their options to the Dell Precision 15 7000 and the Lenovo ThinkPad P50. The person typically uses programs such as Solid Works, Auto Cad, Siemens Simatic Step 7, and ABB Automation Builder 1.2 for work and does not plan on using the laptop for internet or gaming. They ask for opinions on the two options and the other person recommends the ThinkPad based on their positive experience with Lenovo laptops in the past.
SuperDaniel
Hi guys,

I need to buy a new laptop to work, and, after several weeks of research, finally, I have defined two different models.

The first one is a Dell Precision 15 7000
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m7510-workstation/pd?oc=xctomp751015us_2&model_id=precision-m7510-workstation

While the second choice is this Lenovo ThinkPad P50
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/p-series/p50/

I usually use Solid Works and Auto Cad, as well as several programing softwares such as Siemens Simatic Step 7 and the ABB Automation Builder 1.2

What I mean, I won't use it to spend time on the internet or gaming.

I was wondering if I can hear your opinions about these two options in order to help me to make a decision?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have zero experience with Dell, but my current laptop is an entry-level Lenovo, and after almost three years of use still runs like the first day. I've never had trouble running programs like MATLAB, Polymath, SketchUp and, most recently, RSLogix and other products from Rockwell. So I would pick the ThinkPad, I'm actually planning on buying one once I graduate. I hear ThinkPads are highly regarded in science and engineering.

Likes SuperDaniel

1. What are the most important specifications to consider when buying a new laptop for engineering work?

The most important specifications to consider are the processor, RAM, storage, graphics card, and display resolution. These components determine the speed and performance of the laptop when running engineering software and handling complex calculations.

2. Should I go for a Windows or Mac laptop for engineering work?

It ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific software used for engineering work. While Mac laptops are known for their sleek design and user-friendly interface, Windows laptops are more versatile and have a wider range of engineering software options. It's best to consult with your colleagues or professors to see which platform is most commonly used in your field of engineering.

3. How much storage do I need for a laptop used for engineering work?

It's recommended to have at least 256GB of storage for a laptop used for engineering work. This will provide enough space for the operating system, necessary software, and project files. If you plan on working with large data sets or 3D models, consider getting a laptop with 512GB or more of storage.

4. Is a dedicated graphics card necessary for a laptop used for engineering work?

It is highly recommended to have a dedicated graphics card for a laptop used for engineering work. This is because engineering software often requires advanced graphics capabilities for 3D modeling, rendering, and simulations. A dedicated graphics card will also provide a smoother and more seamless experience when working with complex visualizations.

5. Can I upgrade the components of my laptop for better performance in the future?

It depends on the specific laptop model, but most laptops have limited upgradability. It's important to carefully consider your needs and budget when purchasing a laptop for engineering work, as it may not be possible to upgrade certain components in the future. It's also a good idea to check the laptop's warranty and return policy to ensure that you can make changes if needed.