Beginner Einstein Notation Question On Summation In Regards To Index

In summary, the terms in parentheses are not summed over, and this is different from regular notation where the terms are summed over. It is also important to note that in regular notation, the indices can be replaced by specific values and this is not the case in Einstein notation.
Vanilla Gorilla
TL;DR Summary
More generally, in Einstein Notation, do we ONLY sum over the dummy indexes, which constitute ALL indexes that occur twice or more in a single term?
So, I have recently been trying to learn how to work with tensors. In doing this, I have come across Einstein Notation. Below is my question.

$$(a_i x_i)_{e}= (\sum_{i=1}^3 a_i x_i)_r=(a_1 x_1+a_2 x_2+a_3 x_3)_r$$; note that the following expression is in three dimensions, and I use the subscripts "e" to denote when I am using Einstein Notation and "r" to denote when I am using 'regular' notation, which I am more comfortable with.
My question is, are these terms - ##a_1 x_1+a_2 x_2+a_3 x_3## - implied to be summed over? I believe that the answer is no since there is no dummy index that we would sum over, but I'm not 100% sure;
If I'm correct, and we don't sum, would that mean that, ##a_1 x_1##, for example, just implies regular multiplication here?

$$w V^r$$
Likewise, ##w## would not be summed over here by the same logic (It has no index, and can thus not be a dummy indexed term).

More generally, in Einstein Notation, do we ONLY sum over the dummy indexes, which constitute ALL indexes that occur twice or more in a single term?

P.S., I'm not always great at articulating my thoughts, so my apologies if this question isn't clear.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have it right. For example ##aM_{ijk}x_ix_k## expands to ##\sum_i\sum_kaM_{ijk}x_ix_k##. We sum over ##i## and ##k## because they appear exactly twice, and we don't sum over ##j## because it only appears once. You can take ##a## outside the summation signs if you like, since it is a common factor in the terms of the sum.

If you are using Einstein notation then triply (or more) repeated indices are illegal - ##u_iv_iw_i## is not allowed. If you need it for some reason then you have to write out the sum explicitly.

If the indices have been replaced by specific values like 1, 2, 3, then no sum is implied. You do sometimes see some slight abuse of the notation where (e.g.) ##x##, ##y##, and ##z## are taken to be specific values when they are the names of coordinates - so ##a_xb_x## might be interpreted as the prodict of the ##x## components of ##a## and ##b##, so you have to pay attention.

Likes Vanilla Gorilla
This makes sense and cleared up my confusion! Thank you so much

Likes Ibix

1. What is Einstein notation and how is it used in summation?

Einstein notation, also known as Einstein summation convention, is a mathematical notation used to simplify expressions involving summation over indices. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent vector and tensor operations. In Einstein notation, repeated indices are implicitly summed over, eliminating the need for explicit summation symbols.

2. What is the purpose of indices in Einstein notation?

Indices in Einstein notation represent the components of a vector or tensor. They allow for a concise representation of mathematical operations involving multiple variables without having to write out all the individual terms. This makes calculations and equations more efficient and easier to read.

3. How does Einstein notation handle repeated indices?

In Einstein notation, repeated indices are implicitly summed over. This means that if an index appears twice in an expression, it is summed over all possible values, from 1 to the dimension of the vector or tensor. This eliminates the need for explicit summation symbols, making equations more compact and easier to work with.

4. Can Einstein notation be used with any type of mathematical operation?

Yes, Einstein notation can be used with any type of mathematical operation, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is commonly used in vector and tensor operations, but can also be applied to other types of mathematical expressions.

5. Are there any limitations to using Einstein notation?

One limitation of Einstein notation is that it can only be used with operations involving repeated indices. It cannot be used with operations that do not involve indices, such as trigonometric functions or exponentials. Additionally, it may take some time to get used to for those who are not familiar with it, but once mastered, it can greatly simplify mathematical expressions.