Why Is My OpenMP FORTRAN Program Slower in Parallel Than in Single Thread?

In summary: WRITE(27,*) "OpenMP",' seconds= ',finish-start WRITE(*,*) "OpenMP",' seconds= ',finish-start call cpu_time(start)!$OMP PARALLEL NUM_THREADS(2) !$OMP DO do i=1,J x=I x=x**2
jelanier
TL;DR Summary
Not getting OpenMP results
I am trying to understand OpenMP, but my experiments are not paying off. I made a simple FORTRAN program to show me parallel time results.
it turns out that parallel times are greater than single thread. What am I doing wrong?

results: (changing number of threads)
No OpenMP seconds= 1.46640897
THR=1 seconds= 1.57561016
THR=2 seconds= 2.55841684
THR=4 seconds= 5.53803492
THR=8 seconds= 5.74083805

this test program is timing on do loop

Code and compile download from:
[Mentors deleted questionable ZIP link]

Thanks in advance

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
I couldn't look at the code since the link doesn't work, but this is something that often happens. There is quite some overhead related to the parallelization, so unless there is a huge gain due to the parallel processing, the overall execution time increases.

You should post your code (or at least parts of it if it is really big) in the thread. Also, some details of the hardware you are running on would help.

Likes Vanadium 50
DrClaude said:
I couldn't look at the code since the link doesn't work, but this is something that often happens. There is quite some overhead related to the parallelization, so unless there is a huge gain due to the parallel processing, the overall execution time increases.

You should post your code (or at least parts of it if it is really big) in the thread. Also, some details of the hardware you are running on would help.
Sorry for bad link

Core I5 CPU processor 8gig memory

[Mentors deleted ZIP file link]

jelanier said:
Sorry for bad link

Core I5 CPU processor 8gig memory

[Mentors deleted ZIP file link]
Please do not post ZIP files -- they can cause virus/malware problems. Instead, post PDF copies or clear text file copies. You can use PrimoPDF or other free PDF writers to convert your files to safer versions. Thank you.

Likes Jarvis323
I agree with @berkeman, especially since your code is relatively small.

The test you are using is not very good, as the loop can be optimized away. Try doing an operation on an array instead.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
Instead, post PDF copies

Please, not for source code.

Likes DrClaude
Vanadium 50 said:
Please, not for source code.
Of course not. :smile:
berkeman said:
or clear text file copies
... and include code tags around your text ...

You should start with the OpenMP example. (below)

Fortran:
SUBROUTINE SIMPLE(N, A, B)
  INTEGER I, N
  REAL B(N), A(N)
!$OMP PARALLEL DO !I is private by default
  DO I=2,N
    B(I) = (A(I) + A(I-1)) / 2.0
  ENDDO
!$OMP END PARALLEL DO
END SUBROUTINE SIMPLE

This was taken from the OpenMP API examples document. Your PROGRAM should set A, B, N and do the timing. N can be large.

You should not start with something you have whipped together. You should start with where OpenMP wants you to start.

DrClaude said:

http://www.chemroc.com/MISC/hel.f
http://www.chemroc.com/MISC/hcompilebat.txt

@jelanier , please post your code here as text with code tags.

Also, please try the OpenMP example.

Fortran:
      program hel
      implicit none
      integer :: i,j,a
      real :: start, finish,x

x=1.01
      J=500000000

OPEN (27,FILE = 'DATA01.TXT',ACCESS = 'APPEND',STATUS = 'unknown')

call cpu_time(start)
      do i=1,J
            x=I
            x=x**2                            
      end do
      call cpu_time(finish)
      WRITE(27,*) "No OpenMP",' seconds= ',finish-start
      WRITE(*,*) "No OpenMP",' seconds= ',finish-start

call cpu_time(start)
!$OMP PARALLEL NUM_THREADS(1)  
!$OMP DO
      do i=1,J
            x=I
            x=x**2                            
      end do   
!$OMP END DO
!$OMP END PARALLEL
      call cpu_time(finish)
      WRITE(27,*) "THR=1",' seconds= ',finish-start
      WRITE(*,*)   "THR=1",' seconds= ',finish-start   

call cpu_time(start)
!$OMP PARALLEL NUM_THREADS(2)  
!$OMP DO
      do i=1,J
            x=I
            x=x**2                            
      end do   
!$OMP END DO
!$OMP END PARALLEL
      call cpu_time(finish)
      WRITE(27,*) "THR=2",' seconds= ',finish-start
      WRITE(*,*) "THR=2",' seconds= ',finish-start   

call cpu_time(start)
!$OMP PARALLEL NUM_THREADS(4)  
!$OMP DO
      do i=1,J
            x=I
            x=x**2                            
      end do   
!$OMP END DO
DrClaude said:
I agree with @berkeman, especially since your code is relatively small.

The test you are using is not very good, as the loop can be optimized away. Try doing an operation on an array instead.
DrClaude said:

Fortran:
!$OMP END PARALLEL
      call cpu_time(finish)
      WRITE(27,*) "THR=4",' seconds= ',finish-start
      WRITE(*,*) "THR=4",' seconds= ',finish-start

call cpu_time(start)
!$OMP PARALLEL NUM_THREADS(8)  
!$OMP DO
      do i=1,J
            x=I
            x=x**2                            
      end do   
!$OMP END DO
!$OMP END PARALLEL
      call cpu_time(finish)
      WRITE(27,*) "THR=8",' seconds= ',finish-start
      WRITE(*,*) "THR=8",' seconds= ',finish-start

CLOSE(27)

end program hel

I am not sure I understand why OpenMP doesn't work well on loops. The reason I am experimenting is I have some code that I want to parallelize that does most of it's factoring and iteration in loops. (about 370 loops)
I have already edited the code to use optimized LAPACK on some subroutines which is already parallelized. I am trying to increase speed by implementing OpenMP on the multitude of loops. I don't want to waste my time if I can't get these simple loops to work. So, is there something wrong with my code I posted?

Thanks,

Jim

A. cpu_time may be including the time executed by all threads. 2.6 seconds for two threads may be 1.3 seconds wall time.
B. As mentioned, you never use the output of the loop, so the optimizer may eliminate some or all of this. This is why you need to use the OpenMP example I posted and not roll your own.

Likes Jarvis323
jelanier said:
I am not sure I understand why OpenMP doesn't work well on loops. The reason I am experimenting is I have some code that I want to parallelize that does most of it's factoring and iteration in loops. (about 370 loops)
Do you mean 370 iterations of a loop? That's not a very large number.
When code is parallelized, the work is done by multiple threads. If the amount of work to be done be each thread doesn't take very long, the overhead of setting up the threads and getting the results back can be very much longer than the time spent in each thread, so overall time spent in the program is much longer than if just one thread had been used.

BTW, I edited your previous post - the icode tag is not the one to use, as it is intended for just a single line of code to be written inline (that's what the i stands for in icode). Instead use code tags, like so:

[code=fortran]
first line of code
second line of code
etc.
[/code]

Mark44 said:
Do you mean 370 iterations of a loop?

The code says

J=500000000

Vanadium 50 said:
J=500000000
Saw that after I had posted. I reformatted the code, but didn't read it carefully. Is there a 370 in there somewhere? In any case, another person mentioned in this thread that, since the output of the loop to square the loop index wasn't used for anything, a smart compiler might just compile the loop away completely.

Here is the code I wriote to drive the OpenMP SIMPLE example

Fortran:
       program test
       real, dimension(1000000) :: a, b
       integer i,n

n = 1000000
       do i = 1, n
         a(i)=0.5+i
       end do

do i=1,10000
         a(8)=a(8)+1.0;
         call simple(n, a, b)
       end do
       print*,b(7)

end program

It takes 38 seconds without OpenMP, and 7.3 seconds with it. (24 threads) So a factor of 5.2x speedup.

Likes DrClaude
One thing to keep in mind is that while OpenMP is intended to be "easy to use", there is no shortcut to writing efficient multithreaded applications. It takes experience to get good at it. I got a factor of 5, sure, but it took 24 threads to do it: my code's efficiency has fallen to 21% of what it was.

Likes sysprog
Vanadium 50 said:
One thing to keep in mind is that while OpenMP is intended to be "easy to use", there is no shortcut to writing efficient multithreaded applications. It takes experience to get good at it. I got a factor of 5, sure, but it took 24 threads to do it: my code's efficiency has fallen to 21% of what it was.
You are correct in that the time was total for all threads. My original program was fine, but when I did time calls using openMP libs, it showed each thread was faster. Some loops can't be parallelized. If the loop result is not a function of the loop count, there is no way to split the loops into threads.

Thanks,
Jim

Vanadium 50 said:
Also here is how I looked at thread times

Code:
       tbegin = omp_get_wtime()   

!$omp parallel do     
      do i = 1, N
c        code here
      end do
!$omp end parallel do

wtime = omp_get_wtime() - tbegin
      print "( 'Computing MP', i10, ' loops ', i2,' threads took ', f6.
     &4,'s')", N, omp_get_max_threads(), wtime

btw, inserting code on this forum is awful. The indenting and spacing is lost. I there a way to insert and copy it correctly?

Jim

Vanadium 50 said:
Here is the code I wriote to drive the OpenMP SIMPLE example

Fortran:
       program test
       real, dimension(1000000) :: a, b
       integer i,n

n = 1000000
       do i = 1, n
         a(i)=0.5+i
       end do

do i=1,10000
         a(8)=a(8)+1.0;
         call simple(n, a, b)
       end do
       print*,b(7)

end program

It takes 38 seconds without OpenMP, and 7.3 seconds with it. (24 threads) So a factor of 5.2x speedup.
I ran your program on my laptop. The array was too large for this computer and it crashed. I edited to decrease N to the point where it would run. This is a duo core and 4 threads was max it would do. At best it was about 61 percent of non-MP on my laptop.
Results from batch changing number of threads:

C:\OpenMP\Test>set OMP_NUM_THREADS=1

C:\OpenMP\Test>test
MP Time = 54.616 seconds.
NO MP Time = 43.571 seconds.
Percentage time 125.349083

C:\OpenMP\Test>set OMP_NUM_THREADS=2

MP Time = 29.281 seconds.
NO MP Time = 43.555 seconds.
Percentage time 67.2277908

C:\OpenMP\Test>set OMP_NUM_THREADS=4

MP Time = 26.403 seconds.
NO MP Time = 43.134 seconds.
Percentage time 61.2115822

jelanier said:
I ran your program on my laptop. The array was too large for this computer and it crashed.

That's very surprising. Each array is only 8 MB in size. Wonder why that is.

But you have a 1.6x speedup on a machine with 2 physical cores, which surely is convincing that OpenMP is working on that computer, right?

Vanadium 50 said:

But you have a 1.6x speedup on a machine with 2 physical cores, which surely is convincing that OpenMP is working on that computer, right?

I am OK with it. I guess I am spoiled because when I edited some NEC code (Numeric Electromagnetic) to use OpenBlas optimized libs that I compiled for multiple architectures, I got a 6X improvement.
One question, When I use OpenMP statements in my GFORTRAN code, it has to be in column 1 or it is ignored. The code I see online does not show that. Is that the case with you?

re crash: I dunno. I will try it on some of my better computers including my MAC OS.Later and thanks,

Jim

jelanier said:
When I use OpenMP statements in my GFORTRAN code, it has to be in column 1 or it is ignored. The code I see online does not show that

This is what the spec says:

In fixed form source files, the sentinel !$omp, c$omp, or *$omp introduce a directive and must start in column 1. An initial directive line must contain a space or zero in column 6, and continuation lines must have a character other than a space or zero in column 6. In free form source files, the sentinel !$omp introduces a directive and can appear in any column if preceded only by white space.

jelanier said:
Fortran:
      program hel
      implicit none
      integer :: i,j,a
      real :: start, finish,x      x=1.01
      J=500000000      OPEN (27,FILE = 'DATA01.TXT',ACCESS = 'APPEND',STATUS = 'unknown')

call cpu_time(start)
      do i=1,J
            x=I
            x=x**2                         
      end do
      call cpu_time(finish)
      WRITE(27,*) "No OpenMP",' seconds= ',finish-start
      WRITE(*,*) "No OpenMP",' seconds= ',finish-start      call cpu_time(start)
!$OMP PARALLEL NUM_THREADS(1)
!$OMP DO
      do i=1,J
            x=I
            x=x**2                         
      end do
!$OMP END DO
!$OMP END PARALLEL
      call cpu_time(finish)
      WRITE(27,*) "THR=1",' seconds= ',finish-start
      WRITE(*,*)   "THR=1",' seconds= ',finish-start

call cpu_time(start)
!$OMP PARALLEL NUM_THREADS(2)
!$OMP DO
      do i=1,J
            x=I
            x=x**2                         
      end do
!$OMP END DO
!$OMP END PARALLEL
      call cpu_time(finish)
      WRITE(27,*) "THR=2",' seconds= ',finish-start
      WRITE(*,*) "THR=2",' seconds= ',finish-start

call cpu_time(start)
!$OMP PARALLEL NUM_THREADS(4)
!$OMP DO
      do i=1,J
            x=I
            x=x**2                         
      end do
!$OMP END DO
Fortran:
!$OMP END PARALLEL
      call cpu_time(finish)
      WRITE(27,*) "THR=4",' seconds= ',finish-start
      WRITE(*,*) "THR=4",' seconds= ',finish-start

call cpu_time(start)
!$OMP PARALLEL NUM_THREADS(8)
!$OMP DO
      do i=1,J
            x=I
            x=x**2                         
      end do
!$OMP END DO
!$OMP END PARALLEL
      call cpu_time(finish)
      WRITE(27,*) "THR=8",' seconds= ',finish-start
      WRITE(*,*) "THR=8",' seconds= ',finish-start

CLOSE(27)

end program hel
I'm not that familiar with fortran, but one thing stands out, which is that it looks like your OpenMP version you are trying to make a bunch of threads write to the same variable at the same time. That's never a good thing.

Also, cpu time measures net time in cpu for all the cores added together. So if 1 second of wall clock time was spent doing cpu stuff total, and there were 4 cores, the cpu time would be something like 4 seconds.

You should usually measure wall clock time.

Some tips:

(1) Don't get greedy. A 2C/4T CPU is not going to give you a factor of 4, and depending on the code might not give you a factor of 2. You can spend a lot of effort trying to get a small incremental improvement.

(1B) If you want to use GPUs, OpenMP is not very efficient at it. You are usually better using something else.

(2) Profile, profile, profile. You need to know where the code is spending its time. That may not be where you think it is spending its time. Find that spot and try and parallelize it. If the code is serial, there's no point in throwing OpenMP at it. Once you have sped it up, profile the code again and see if you have a new bottleneck. Repeat until exhausted.

(3) Compile, compile, compile. Debugging with OpenMP is hard. Make sure you have not introduced any bugs at every step. If you do 8 hours of work and now the answer is wrong, good luck finding exactly where. One missing barrier can make a mess - and good luck finding it. Similarly, save known good pieces of code. You may need to revert.

(4) Consider pthreads over OpenMP. OpenMP parallelizes small chunks of code, ideally with no or few branches. pthreads casn parallelize large chunks of code with lots of branches. Depending on what you are doing, one may be much better than the other.

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
Some tips:

(1) Don't get greedy. A 2C/4T CPU is not going to give you a factor of 4, and depending on the code might not give you a factor of 2. You can spend a lot of effort trying to get a small incremental improvement.

(1B) If you want to use GPUs, OpenMP is not very efficient at it. You are usually better using something else.

(2) Profile, profile, profile. You need to know where the code is spending its time. That may not be where you think it is spending its time. Find that spot and try and parallelize it. If the code is serial, there's no point in throwing OpenMP at it. Once you have sped it up, profile the code again and see if you have a new bottleneck. Repeat until exhausted.

(3) Compile, compile, compile. Debugging with OpenMP is hard. Make sure you have no introduced any bugs at every step. If you do 8 hours of work and now the answer is wrong, good luck finding exactly where. One missing barrier can make a mess - and good luck finding it. Similarly, save known good pieces of code. You may need to revert.

(4) Consider pthreads over OpenMP. OpenMP parallelizes small chunks of code, ideally with no or few branches. pthreads casn parallelize large chunks of code with lots of branches. Depending on what you are doing, one may be much better than the other.
I am with you on that. I typically experiment with my code to maximize efficiency. Back when I first started writing code (1974) it was required. I have revisited my first posted GFORTRAN and came up with a better way of measuring time. It looks like I can improve time better than 2 to 1.

hel:
      program hel

integer i,j,ct_0,ct_1,ct_rate,ct_max
      real*8 :: time_init,time_final,elapsed_t,elapsed_tMP,x

j=250000000 ! SET NUMBER OF LOOPS

*************************USE MP*****************************************    

x=1.0000001  !SET INITIAL X  
c     Starting Time
      call system_clock(ct_0,ct_rate,ct_max)
      time_init=ct_0*1.0/ct_rate      

!$OMP PARALLEL DO
C!$OMP PARALLEL      
C!$OMP DO      
      do i=1,J
            x=x**2
            x=((x-1)/2)+1
      end do
C!$OMP END DO
C!$OMP END PARALLEL
!$OMP END PARALLEL DO

c     Ending Time
      call system_clock(ct_1,ct_rate,ct_max)
      time_final=ct_1*1.0/ct_rate
      elapsed_t_MP=time_final-time_init
      WRITE(*,10) elapsed_t_MP  
10    format("   MP time",F8.3," seconds")********************END USE MP******************************************    ********************START NO MP*****************************************    

x=1.0000001  !SET INITIAL X  
c     Starting Time
      call system_clock(ct_0,ct_rate,ct_max)
      time_init=ct_0*1.0/ct_rate

do i=1,J
            x=x**2
            x=((x-1)/2)+1
      end do

c     Ending Time
      call system_clock(ct_1,ct_rate,ct_max)
      time_final=ct_1*1.0/ct_rate
      elapsed_t=time_final-time_init    

WRITE(*,11) elapsed_t
11    format("No MP time",F8.3," seconds")

********************END NO MP*******************************************    

WRITE(*,12) elapsed_t_MP*100/elapsed_t
12    format("Percentage Time",F8.3)    

end program

results:

C:\OpenMP\Test elapsed HEL>set OMP_NUM_THREADS=8

C:\OpenMP\Test elapsed HEL>hel
MP time 1.092 seconds
No MP time 2.668 seconds
Percentage Time 40.929

C:\OpenMP\Test elapsed HEL>set OMP_NUM_THREADS=16

MP time 1.123 seconds
No MP time 2.652 seconds
Percentage Time 42.345

C:\OpenMP\Test elapsed HEL>set OMP_NUM_THREADS=32

MP time 1.107 seconds
No MP time 2.668 seconds
Percentage Time 41.492

C:\OpenMP\Test elapsed HEL>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

You should print x at the end. Two reasons for this:
a. If you don't, the compiler might recognize that it is never used and optimize it away
b. It will show you that you get a different answer with OpenMP. Your code is serial (can you see why?) so if it is being sped up, it's making a mistake.

Vanadium 50 said:
You should print x at the end. Two reasons for this:
a. If you don't, the compiler might recognize that it is never used and optimize it away
b. It will show you that you get a different answer with OpenMP. Your code is serial (can you see why?) so if it is being sped up, it's making a mistake.
I think it is because of what I commented earlier. If the loop is not a function of i, it can't possibly run in parallel. In my loop example, parallel would make a mess. Each iteration requires knowledge of the previous one. I was going to re-write something in the loop to make it practical. The purpose of this code was to count time more reliably. The call cpu time doesn't work the way I want with the omp code.

thanks

Last edited:
jelanier said:
. If the loop is not a function of i, it can't possibly run in parallel.

Close. If you have x = x * i, it is a function of i, but still can't run in parallel.

Probably the easiest way to imagine it is to think about giving half the loop to one thread and half to another. Would you get the same answer? No matter how you split it? I usually ask myself "if I had N CPUs, one for each of the N elements of the loop, would I get the right answer?"

jelanier said:
The purpose of this code was to count time more reliably.

Well, you aren't doing that exactly. You're measuring something, that's for sure, but it may be totally unrelated to any real code. In particular, the lack of use of x at the end means the compiler might optimize away part or all of the code involving x. Including the code inside the PARALLEL clause. That said, using wall clock time is a good idea: that's what you really care about, after all.

I understood. I think you took me too literally on the function. I clarified when I said "Each iteration requires knowledge of the previous one" The counter I'm using should work because it is looking at the system clock so the code should not interfere. I think you are saying it may look at system clock while a code process is still running. One of the timing procedures I used in another test shows timing of each thread and when multiplied by number of threads results were close to the system clock result. Can you give me an example of wall clock time so I can compare? I thought system clock was wall clock. Quote from another forum " system_clock reports "wall time" or elapsed time. ". Is this not correct? I would think it to be conservative because the computer is doing things other than the code I'm testing.

see https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gfortran/SYSTEM_005fCLOCK.html

Thanks

Last edited:
You are using wall clock time now.

OK, I thought you had seen my timing post code using system_clock. Anyway I wrote in some code for a parallel loop and the speed increase was verified. It is a little better than twice the speed. There is a variable printed Z(100) to confirm no errors in the parallel portion. I also compiled with and without optimization to test results.

See results:

C:\OpenMP\Test Timing>set OMP_NUM_THREADS=1

C:\OpenMP\Test Timing>Test_T
MP time 0.961 seconds
z100 WI MP 406.86585116386414
NO MP time 0.938 seconds
z100 NO MP 406.86585116386414
Percentage Time 102.500%

C:\OpenMP\Test Timing>set OMP_NUM_THREADS=2

MP time 0.500 seconds
NO MP time 1.000 seconds
Percentage Time 50.000%

C:\OpenMP\Test Timing>set OMP_NUM_THREADS=4

MP time 0.391 seconds
NO MP time 0.949 seconds
Percentage Time 41.152%

C:\OpenMP\Test Timing>set OMP_NUM_THREADS=8

MP time 0.422 seconds
NO MP time 0.953 seconds
Percentage Time 44.262%

C:\OpenMP\Test Timing>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Thanks again for your help.

Vanadium 50 said:

I figured it out. The stack size is fixed in Windows. You can increase the value by adding a line at compile time.
Example: gfortran -Wl,--stack,16000000 -O3 -fopenmp -static test.f -o Test

the stack size should be number of array variables X 8. So if you had x(i) 1000000 and y(i) 1000000
then stack would be 1000000 X 2 X 8=16000000 as minimum (plus other overhead)

Jim