Beginner's question about antennas

• Thread starter shushi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Antennas
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a multi-antenna dish that transmits different signals without interference. While such an arrangement is common in high-end radars and radio-telescopes, it may not be useful for tracking independent targets. Additionally, GPS antennas are not typically used in dishes due to the constantly changing positions of the satellites. The conversation suggests using a broadband antenna and separating signals with filters instead. The ultrasonic antenna also presents challenges as it requires a solid dish and cannot utilize the broadband antenna.
shushi
TL;DR Summary
Can multiple antennas share a dish without interference?
Hello!

This may be an obvious idea and I feel silly for asking this, but just out of curiosity, if I have a large dish satellite where I could fit three antenna transmitters in the center that send different types of signals (a broad-band radio antenna, an ultrasonic antenna/sensor, and a microwave radio GPS antenna [an additional one that I also thinking about is a wifi one, but overall I'm considering just giving it its own dish]) if those three antennas were connected to bandpass filters, could I successfully create a multi antenna dish that transmits different signals without much interference?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Such arrangement is quite common in high-end radars and radio-telescopes. It is called "multibeam antenna". Not very useful for simultaneous tracking of independent targets as seems to be your case though.

Likes shushi
But WiFi you don't want to point to the sky. People have built very successful directional WiFi antennas from old Pringle cans.

Likes dlgoff, shushi, davenn and 1 other person
shushi said:
Summary: Can multiple antennas share a dish without interference?

and a microwave radio GPS antenna

You don't was a GPS antenna (GPS is receive) in a dish, as the satellites are not fixed in orbit,
rather they are many different orbits all over the sky.
GPS antennas are usually "relatively" fixed and have a horizon to horizon 360 deg view

Likes dlgoff and shushi
How will you place them all in the same position, at the focus? Multiband antennas are possible but not easy. Why not use the broadband antenna and then separate the signals with filters. You seem to be interested in just the 1 to 2 GHz region.
By the way, the ultrasonic detector is not radio so will need a solid dish, and of course, it cannot utilise the broadband antenna.

1. What is an antenna?

An antenna is a device that is used to transmit or receive electromagnetic waves. It is typically made of metal and is designed to convert electrical energy into electromagnetic waves or vice versa.

2. How does an antenna work?

An antenna works by converting electrical signals into electromagnetic waves and vice versa. When an electrical signal is applied to the antenna, it creates an electromagnetic field around the antenna. This field then radiates outwards, carrying the information or energy that was applied to the antenna.

3. What are the different types of antennas?

There are many different types of antennas, each designed for specific purposes. Some common types include dipole antennas, loop antennas, patch antennas, and parabolic antennas. Each type has its own unique characteristics and uses.

4. What factors affect the performance of an antenna?

The performance of an antenna can be affected by various factors, including its size, shape, material, and placement. Other factors such as surrounding objects, weather conditions, and interference can also impact its performance.

5. How do I choose the right antenna for my needs?

Choosing the right antenna depends on your specific needs and requirements. Factors to consider include the frequency range, gain, directionality, and size of the antenna. It is also important to consider the environment in which the antenna will be used and any potential sources of interference.