Beginning Python, cf dedicated calculator package

In summary, the individual is interested in learning programming for personal development and has been recommended Python by physics experts. Their goals for programming include learning for fun, performing calculations and numerical calculations, and working with experimental data. They have used other programs before, but not for interfacing with experimental data. The individual is seeking advice on whether Python is a good choice for their goals and welcomes any suggestions.
houlahound
I am no programmer but I want to learn for personal development.

so physicsy type guys recommended Python. I downloaded it and have been playing.

my goals for programming are three;

1. learn to code just for fun

2. do calculations and numerical calculations

3. input data from transducers, process it and do something with processed data, particularly filtering.

I have used mathematica, maple and MATLAB before, to do calculations but not for interfacing with experimental data.

before I invest a bunch of time into Python can experienced users give their opinion if it is a good choice in light of my stated goals and / or offer any better solutions.

thanks any advice.

Technology news on Phys.org
houlahound said:
I am no programmer but I want to learn for personal development.

so physicsy type guys recommended Python. I downloaded it and have been playing.

my goals for programming are three;

1. learn to code just for fun

2. do calculations and numerical calculations

3. input data from transducers, process it and do something with processed data, particularly filtering.

I have used mathematica, maple and MATLAB before, to do calculations but not for interfacing with experimental data.

before I invest a bunch of time into Python can experienced users give their opinion if it is a good choice in light of my stated goals and / or offer any better solutions.

thanks any advice.
I have just started to learn Python myself. From what I can tell, Python has become very popular, in part because of the math and numerics libraries that are available (numpy and scipy for two). Based on the goals you list, I would recommend spending some time getting familiar with Python.

Sounds encouraging, thanks.

1. What is Beginning Python?

Beginning Python is a programming language that is widely used in different scientific fields for data analysis, machine learning, and creating applications.

2. Why is Python useful for scientific research?

Python is useful for scientific research because it is a high-level language, meaning it is easy to learn and use. It also has a large and active community, numerous libraries and packages specifically designed for scientific computing, and it is open-source, making it accessible to everyone.

3. What is a dedicated calculator package in Python?

A dedicated calculator package in Python is a set of pre-written code that provides specific functions and operations for performing calculations. These packages are designed to make complex calculations easier and more efficient for users.

4. How do I install a calculator package in Python?

To install a calculator package in Python, you can use a package manager such as pip or conda. These tools allow you to search for and install specific packages, including dedicated calculator packages, with just a few simple commands.

5. Can I customize a dedicated calculator package in Python?

Yes, you can customize a dedicated calculator package in Python. These packages often come with various settings and options that you can adjust to fit your specific needs. Additionally, since Python is an open-source language, you can also access and modify the source code of the package if needed.