Behavior of Aurora Australis Around A Dark Spot on Composite Image

In summary, the conversation discusses an image on Wikipedia showing the aurora australis captured by NASA's IMAGE satellite and overlaid onto the Blue Marble composite image. The conversation also mentions a rolling video of the aurora and the questions of why the light of the aurora is attracted to a specific area and what that area is. After analyzing the images and information, it is determined that the dark spot mentioned in the conversation is actually the south pole and the aurora is concentrated around this point due to the effects of Earth's magnetic field. The composite image may also contribute to the appearance of the aurora seeming to come down near the dark spot.
Kingarthur
On http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(astronomy ), about 1/2-way down the page, there is an image of, quote, "Aurora australis (September 11, 2005) as captured by NASA's IMAGE satellite, digitally overlaid onto the The Blue Marble composite image." Next to it, there is a rolling video of, quote, "An animation created using the satellite data."

My questions are, “Why does the light of the aurora seem to be attracted, or connected, to the area near that spot?”, and “what is the spot?”.

[edit by Ivan: inappropriate references deleted]

My own determination is that the video on Wikipedia shows the light of the aurora seeming to come down next to the dark spot to the ground near the dark spot’s right, especially towards the last part of the video. Maybe it’s just the way I’m looking at it. It’s hard to tell what the depth of the aurora is. The Hollow Earthers are showing only a fragment of the video to deceive people into thinking the light of the aurora is coming up from the dark spot. I don’t know what the dark spot is, but it looks to me like part of the sea surrounded by a sheet of ice connected to the continent. I might be wrong. I don’t know the geography. The image in the photo is a composite image, so it may be different from a regular photo.

Again, why does the light of the aurora seem to be attracted to the area near the spot, and what is the spot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kingarthur,

First of all, that's a stunning image and animation...thank you for sharing.

Secondly, good question. It does indeed appear that the aurora is somehow focused around this point. Note that the image of the planet surface is clearly stated to come from the Blue Marble composite satellite image, which the aurora information was overlaid onto...so this is not a true image we are seeing, and they were not even taken at the same year.

After downloading the high resolution Blue Marable imagery (note that my version is from the same series but is not the exact same image) that was used to construct this rendition, I was able to locate the black spot you are referring to. It turns out to be the exact south pole. In other words, the straight line along the bottom of the digital map is condensed into this point. The reason it appears black is simply due to a rendering artifact due to this point being condensed...ie, there's not really a black spot there in real life.

You can see that here in this rendering I made

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/1021/polet.jpg

The aurora is caused by effects of the Earth's magnetic field, so it is not surprising that it should be concentrated about the exact location of the magnetic south pole like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would say that the behavior of the aurora australis around the dark spot shown in the composite image is a result of various factors such as the Earth's magnetic field, solar wind, and atmospheric conditions. The dark spot itself could be a region of low atmospheric density or a temporary absence of auroral activity. It is not uncommon for auroras to appear in different shapes and patterns, and their movement can be influenced by various factors as well.

It is also important to note that the composite image may have been edited or enhanced for visual purposes, so it may not accurately represent the exact location and behavior of the aurora at that time.

In terms of the spot itself, further research and analysis would be needed to determine its exact nature and location. It could be a physical feature on Earth's surface, or it could be a result of the image processing. Without more information, it is difficult to say for certain.

Overall, the behavior of the aurora australis in the composite image is a fascinating phenomenon that requires further exploration and study to fully understand. As scientists, we must always approach new information and images with a critical and analytical mindset, and continue to gather evidence and data to further our understanding of the natural world.

1. What is a dark spot on a composite image of the Aurora Australis?

A dark spot on a composite image of the Aurora Australis is an area where there is a decrease in the intensity of the aurora's light. This can be caused by various factors such as a decrease in solar activity or a change in the Earth's magnetic field.

2. Why does the behavior of the Aurora Australis change around a dark spot?

The behavior of the Aurora Australis changes around a dark spot because the decrease in light intensity affects the movement of charged particles in the Earth's atmosphere. This can cause disruptions in the aurora's usual patterns and movements.

3. How do scientists study the behavior of the Aurora Australis around a dark spot?

Scientists study the behavior of the Aurora Australis around a dark spot by using various instruments such as satellites, ground-based cameras, and magnetometers. These tools allow them to gather data on the aurora's movements, intensity, and other characteristics.

4. What can the behavior of the Aurora Australis around a dark spot tell us about our planet?

The behavior of the Aurora Australis around a dark spot can provide insight into the Earth's magnetosphere and the interactions between charged particles and the Earth's atmosphere. It can also help scientists understand how solar activity and other factors affect our planet.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with the behavior of the Aurora Australis around a dark spot?

While there are no direct risks associated with the behavior of the Aurora Australis around a dark spot, changes in the aurora's behavior can indicate changes in the Earth's magnetic field. These changes can affect satellite and radio communications and may cause disruptions in power grids.