Beijing Television Cultural Center Fire

In summary, the Great Beijing Mandarin Oriental Hotel fire of February 2009 did not result in the collapse of the building, despite burning for 5 hours with no working sprinkler system. This is because the building was designed and constructed with large safety factors to prevent collapse during a fire. The fuels for the fire were not hot enough to significantly weaken the structure, the building was not yet completed which lowered the risk of collapse, and the roof was covered in flammable construction materials/debris.
Hexnergy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Beijing_Mandarin_Oriental_Hotel_fire_of_February,_2009

Can anyone explain to me why didn't this building collapse on itself after burning for 5 hours? I thought the steel would have weakened enough to allow some kind of total or partial collapse. This building was still under construction and had no working sprinkler system.

The Chinese engineers that designed and built this thing are amazing! What kind of materials did they use? I always believed fire brought down large structures.

Sorry if this was discussed before. I was searching through your forums and didn't find any mention of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because in most cases, burning does not cause buildings to collapse, at least that's what I saw in a documentary on discovery channel or natgeo.

In all engineering constructions there are safety factors, when human lives are at risk, these safety factors are very large. I'm guessing, the structure was built with these safety factors in place so that the building doesn't collapse during a fire. Steel melts at around 1300°C and house fires with fuels involved reach about 650°C.

More importantly, how did a fire start from the outside? Since when does glass and metal catch fire so easily?

This thread is just asking for a 9/11 conspiracy theorist to pop in.

I'm wondering if they already have...

Three things:
1. The fuels for the fire would have been wood, paper products, and other construction debris. These things don't burn hot enough to risk significant weakening of the structure.
2. As the building was not completed, it is quite possible the building was not as heavy as it would have been in a few months, which would lower the risk of collapse.
3. As the building was under construction, the roof (and rest of the building) was probably covered with flammable construction materials/debris, making it an easy fire to start/spread.

1. What caused the Beijing Television Cultural Center Fire?

The fire at the Beijing Television Cultural Center was caused by a combination of factors, including a welding accident, strong winds, and construction materials that were highly flammable.

2. How long did it take to extinguish the fire?

The fire burned for over 9 hours before it was finally extinguished. Firefighters had difficulty accessing the building due to its unique architectural design and the strong winds only made the situation worse.

3. Were there any casualties or injuries?

Fortunately, there were no reported casualties or injuries from the Beijing Television Cultural Center Fire. The building was still under construction at the time and there were no workers present inside.

4. How much damage was caused by the fire?

The fire caused extensive damage to the Beijing Television Cultural Center, with the roof and spire collapsing and the building's facade being severely damaged. It is estimated that the total cost of the damage was over $100 million USD.

5. What measures have been taken to prevent similar fires in the future?

After the Beijing Television Cultural Center Fire, the government implemented stricter fire safety regulations for all buildings under construction. These include regular inspections, proper storage and handling of flammable materials, and improved training for workers on construction sites.