Being a good theoretical physicist

In summary, the conversation is about a 11th grader who wants to become a theoretical physicist but is struggling to come up with original ideas. They also express a love for math and solving unsolved problems. Another person chimes in to give advice and shares a website for resources. The original speaker thanks them and asks for a similar website for chemistry resources.
jobsism
Hello everyone. I'm a 11th grader who plans on becoming a theoretical physicist. In fact, for most of the time, the only thing that goes in my head is trying to think of an idea to find a better alternative to quantum mechanics, as I feel that it is not in accordance with nature.

I have the passion for physics, but I feel that I can't think in my own original ways, which i hear is very necessary for a theoretical physicist. I can't think of ideas for problems in physics, and tend to give up easily. I am in love with maths too, and I like trying some of the unsolved problems in maths like the Riemann hypothesis, abc conjecture, but I don't think very well on my own, and have to browse somewhere soon for ideas that others have tried for solving them.

I want to know if I can ever be a good theoretical physicist, with this bad trait. Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
jobsism said:
I have the passion for physics, but I feel that I can't think in my own original ways, which i hear is very necessary for a theoretical physicist. I can't think of ideas for problems in physics, and tend to give up easily.
I'll just comment on this, and let the others more in the know give you advice as to your wish of being a theoretical physicist. Of couse you can't think of ideas of problems in physics in an original way, you're in grade 11! Unless you've got ample amounts of knowledge of the field, you're not supposed to be able to think of new stuff. No one can be creative when they don't know enough about the field they're studying, because you have to know the basics first and *then* you can make new conjectures or whatnot. This isn't just physics, it applies to everything. A lot of things seem scary at first glance, and you can't imagine solving specific problems or coming up with new ideas when you first encounter the material, but when you delve deeper into it, you can process that consolidated knowledge and make inferences that are impossible without actually having that knowledge. How can you make a connection between two things you don't know of or know very little about? So don't let this discourage you (not just as far as physics is concerned).

Thank you, Ryker! I guess I was just being impatient..thanks for knocking some sense into me! :D

chiro said:
Hey Jobsism, you may want to take a look at this:

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~thooft/theorist.html

I love you for sharing this. Thank you so much; you don't happen to know of a similar website with chemistry resources instead, no? : D

Related to Being a good theoretical physicist

1. What skills are necessary to be a good theoretical physicist?

A good theoretical physicist must have strong analytical and mathematical skills, as well as a deep understanding of physics concepts and theories. They should also possess critical thinking abilities, creativity, and the ability to think abstractly.

2. What education is required to become a theoretical physicist?

Typically, a theoretical physicist will need at least a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, and many will go on to obtain a master's or doctoral degree. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, as well as a deep understanding of physics principles and theories.

3. Is research experience necessary to be a good theoretical physicist?

While research experience is not always required, it can be beneficial for a theoretical physicist to have hands-on experience with conducting experiments and analyzing data. This can help them better understand and formulate new theories and concepts.

4. What are some common challenges faced by theoretical physicists?

Theoretical physicists often face challenges in developing and testing new theories, as well as communicating their findings to others. They may also struggle with obtaining funding for their research and dealing with uncertainty and ambiguity in their work.

5. What are some important qualities for a theoretical physicist to possess?

In addition to strong analytical and mathematical skills, a good theoretical physicist should have a curious and open-minded nature, persistence and determination, and the ability to work well in a team. They should also be able to think creatively and outside the box to come up with new ideas and solutions.