What is it like to do theoretical physics research?

In summary, this student is wondering if a physics career would be more interesting than a computer science career. He enjoys computer science, but is also interested in the mysteries of the universe. He thinks that the work that theoretical physicists do is interesting, but he is afraid that he is not as interested in the physical theories themselves as he is in the ideas behind them. He thinks that the work that theoretical physicists do is mostly done with computers nowadays, and he recommends that the student keep physics as a hobby.
andrew0310
Hello everybody,

I am an undergraduate student studying computer science and I love it, especially Artificial Intelligence. I'm a curious person, so there are a lot of things that I find intriguing. But I sometimes wonder if a physics career would be more interesting, not because I don't like computer science enough, but because I'm also very curious about the Universe and all its mysteries, the nature of reality and how it all works etc.

Now here's the problem: I don't really know how is it like to do theoretical physics research (more precisely, theoretical cosmology research). And I'm sometimes afraid that I am more interested in the ideas surrounding all these mysteries than I'd be in doing research trying to answer them. I liked and did quite well at physics in high school (and at math too), but I found the physical theories, especially the mathematical part, a bit dull, a bit dry. So maybe I'm much more interested in the ideas behind the physical theories than in physics itself.

I guess the question is: what it's theoretical physics or theoretical cosmology research about? what do the researchers in these fields do and what their work consists of, beyond their online talks, conferences and what it looks like to the public eye?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
andrew0310 said:
I found the physical theories, especially the mathematical part, a bit dull, a bit dry
I would recommend that you keep physics as a hobby and not a career then. Nothing at all is wrong with that. It is a hobby for me too

Likes berkeman and andrew0310
These days, most theoretical physics research is done with computers. You may find that the computer science, you love would lead you to a career that is not so different in day to day activity as a career in theoretical physics. It seems that if you love what you are doing, and you are being successful, you should have a strong reason for straying from that path.

As a colleague of mine said, (although he will not own up to it), "The stars are always brighter on the other side of the great attractor"

Likes andrew0310 and Dale

1. What is the purpose of theoretical physics research?

The purpose of theoretical physics research is to develop and refine theories that explain and predict physical phenomena. This type of research helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern our universe and can lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the world around us.

2. What is the process of conducting theoretical physics research?

The process of conducting theoretical physics research involves formulating hypotheses, creating mathematical models, and using analytical and computational methods to test and refine these theories. It also involves collaborating with other researchers and constantly questioning and revising ideas to further our understanding.

3. What are some challenges of doing theoretical physics research?

Some challenges of doing theoretical physics research include the complexity of the subject matter, the need for advanced mathematical and analytical skills, and the constant need to adapt and revise theories based on new evidence. Additionally, obtaining funding and resources for research can also be a challenge.

4. How does theoretical physics research contribute to society?

Theoretical physics research contributes to society by providing a deeper understanding of the world around us, leading to technological advancements, and pushing the boundaries of human knowledge. It also helps us develop practical applications for theoretical concepts, such as in the fields of engineering and medicine.

5. What are some recent breakthroughs in theoretical physics research?

Recent breakthroughs in theoretical physics research include the discovery of gravitational waves, the development of quantum computing, and advancements in the study of dark matter and dark energy. These breakthroughs have opened up new avenues for scientific exploration and have the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe.