Bell measurement of distant particles

In summary, the figure in the Wikipedia article on quantum teleportation shows that A can send a qubit to B by receiving another qubit from a spdc and performing a Bell measurement on them. These qubits do not have to be close in space and time. However, for a successful Bell measurement, the two photons must arrive at nearly the same time.
Heidi
Hi Pf
I am looking at the figure in wiki about quantum teleportation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quantum_teleportation_diagram.PNG
A wants to send a qubit to B . She receives another qubit from a spdc.
so she has to make a Bell measurement on them. Has these qbits to be close in space and time to do that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Heidi said:
Hi Pf
I am looking at the figure in wiki about quantum teleportation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Quantum_teleportation_diagram.PNG
A wants to send a qubit to B . She receives another qubit from a spdc.
so she has to make a Bell measurement on them. Has these qbits to be close in space and time to do that?

In the diagram you reference: No, A and B can be as far apart as you like. However, a classical signal must go from A to B so that a determination can be made as to the proper operation(s) to execute so that the exiting photon is a proper clone of the original.

I am afraid i misspoke my question. it is only about the two photons that Alice has. at t she receives a photon from the spdc but what about the other photon (the ϕ)
What if she receives it at a time t0 before or after t?
can a bell measurement be done with distant qubits at t?

Last edited:
Heidi said:
I am afraid i misspoke my question. it is only about the two photons that Alice has. at t she receives a photon from the spdc but what about the other photon (the ϕ)
What if she receives it at a time t0 before or after t?
can a bell measurement be done with distant qubits at t?

No. To do a Bell State Measurement (BSM), the 2 particles must arrive at nearly the same time - so as to be indistinguishable. They are routed into a PBS apparatus together, and then you look for a pair of detections at the output ports.

As a general rule, PDC pairs cannot be produced upon demand. So in many (most) cases, the photons being subjected to the BSM will not arrive together within a small enough time window.

Likes Heidi

1. What is the Bell measurement of distant particles?

The Bell measurement of distant particles, also known as Bell state measurement, is a type of quantum measurement that determines the correlation between two entangled particles. This measurement is based on the Bell inequality, which tests the validity of quantum mechanics against classical theories.

2. How does the Bell measurement work?

The Bell measurement involves performing a series of measurements on two entangled particles, such as photons. These measurements can be of different properties, such as polarization or spin. The results of these measurements are then compared to the expected outcomes based on the entanglement of the particles, which can reveal the presence of quantum correlations.

3. What is the significance of the Bell measurement?

The Bell measurement is significant because it provides a way to test the principles of quantum mechanics, such as entanglement and non-locality, against classical theories. It also has potential applications in quantum communication and cryptography, as it allows for secure transmission of information between distant particles.

4. Can the Bell measurement be used for quantum teleportation?

Yes, the Bell measurement is a crucial step in the process of quantum teleportation. By performing a Bell measurement on one particle and using the results to manipulate the state of another particle, information can be transferred between the two particles without physically moving them.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to the Bell measurement?

One of the main challenges with the Bell measurement is the difficulty in creating and maintaining entangled particles, as well as performing precise measurements on them. Additionally, the results of the Bell measurement can be affected by external factors, making it difficult to achieve perfect correlations. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology are helping to address these limitations.