Bellman's and Bellman-Ford algorithm

• B
  • Thread starter Erenjaeger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algorithm
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion between the terms "Bellman's algorithm" and "Bellman-Ford's algorithm" in a textbook section about shortest path problems. The speaker notes that they have seen both terms used for algorithms that compute shortest paths in a weighted digraph. They also mention that Bellman is known for other things, but they are not familiar with them. Finally, the speaker asks for clarification on the difference between the two algorithms.
Erenjaeger
In the SPP part of my networks textbook, it refers to Bellman's algorithm but also at times Bellman-Ford's algorithm, is there a difference between the two or is that just the writers of the textbook not being consistent with what they call it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. If it computes shortest paths from a single source vertex to all of the other vertices in a weighted digraph I have seen it called both - Bellman-Ford, Bellman.
Bellman did other things for which he was noted. And I know next to nothing about them.

So what is your chapter on about?

jim mcnamara said:
Hmm. If it computes shortest paths from a single source vertex to all of the other vertices in a weighted digraph I have seen it called both - Bellman-Ford, Bellman.
Bellman did other things for which he was noted. And I know next to nothing about them.

So what is your chapter on about?
the part I'm referring to is just about shortest path problems, apparently there is a difference between them but I'm not sure what it could be

Related to Bellman's and Bellman-Ford algorithm

1. What is Bellman's algorithm and how does it work?

Bellman's algorithm, also known as Bellman-Ford algorithm, is a graph traversal algorithm used to find the shortest path from a starting node to all other nodes in a weighted graph. It works by relaxing the edges of the graph in a specific order, gradually improving the estimated distance from the starting node to each node until the optimal path is found.

2. What is the time complexity of the Bellman-Ford algorithm?

The time complexity of the Bellman-Ford algorithm is O(V * E), where V is the number of vertices and E is the number of edges in the graph. This means that the algorithm will take longer to run on graphs with a large number of vertices and edges.

3. What is the difference between Bellman's and Dijkstra's algorithm?

Both Bellman's and Dijkstra's algorithms are used to find the shortest path in a weighted graph. However, Dijkstra's algorithm can only be used on graphs with non-negative edge weights, while Bellman's algorithm can handle negative edge weights. Additionally, Dijkstra's algorithm is more efficient than Bellman's algorithm, with a time complexity of O(E + VlogV).

4. Can Bellman's algorithm be used on graphs with negative cycles?

No, Bellman's algorithm cannot be used on graphs with negative cycles. This is because the algorithm relies on relaxing the edges in a specific order, but in a graph with a negative cycle, the shortest path may not exist as the algorithm can get stuck in an infinite loop.

5. How is the shortest path calculated in Bellman's algorithm?

The shortest path is calculated by keeping track of the distance from the starting node to each node in the graph. The algorithm then iterates through all the edges in the graph, relaxing them in a specific order until the optimal distance to each node is found. The path can then be traced back from the end node to the starting node using the parent nodes that were updated during the relaxation process.