Algorithms for Traveling Purchaser Problem (TPP)

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of algorithms for the Traveling Purchaser Problem (TPP). The Ramesh algorithm is frequently referenced, but not easily found for implementation. The branch-and-bound algorithm of Singh and Van Oudheusden and the branch-and-cut algorithm of Laporte are also mentioned. However, the referenced papers have paywalls, making it difficult for the person to access them. The conversation ends with a suggestion to contact the university for access to the papers.
mathbalduino
Hey guys, how you doing?

Im here to ask for you help. I am writing my bachelor paper as an implementation/review of the TPP algorithms out there. Almost every paper that I read references the Ramesh algorithm, that returns an exact solution for TPP problems, but I just can't find the algorithm, not even a high level description that I could use to implement my own version.

Does someone know how to implement it? I would be grateful with even a high level description.

There's other two approaches out there that I would be grateful to have access: the branch-and-bound algorithm of Singh and Van Oudheusden, and the branch-and-cut algorithm of Laporte. If someone know how to implement or something like that, please share with me.

In these two papers, you can find the actual references:
- https://ir.nctu.edu.tw/bitstream/11536/31784/1/000075284000001.pdf
- https://www.fsa.ulaval.ca/personnel/renaudj/pdf/Recherche/tpp(purchaser)%20COR.pdf

If you don't know what's the TPP, please see this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_purchaser_problem before answering

Guys, I know that this is an NP-HARD problem, and that it's always best to use Heuristic Algorithms instead of exact ones for larger instances, but I still want to study the exact ones.

Thanks! Any help is very welcome.

Technology news on Phys.org
mathbalduino said:
Almost every paper that I read references the Ramesh algorithm, that returns an exact solution for TPP problems, but I just can't find the algorithm, not even a high level description that I could use to implement my own version.

Does someone know how to implement it? I would be grateful with even a high level description.
Isn't it described in Ramesh's paper as referenced? The second paper you linked refers to it as "the lexicographic algorithm of Ramesh" so I think it is reasonable to assume that it simply enumerates all paths (in lexicographic order, although this is not really relevant) and selects the optimum.

mathbalduino said:
There's other two approaches out there that I would be grateful to have access: the branch-and-bound algorithm of Singh and Van Oudheusden
Surely this is described in the referenced EJOR article.

mathbalduino said:
and the branch-and-cut algorithm of Laporte
This is described as unpublished however a simple search for the authors' names finds it on JSTOR.

Do you know how to follow up references?

Oh man, is obvious that I know how to follow references... Why would I reach this forum and create a post? Isn't it much much more labor than just following the references or searching google?

The thing is, all the referenced papers have paywalls and my university don't provide access to it (including the referenced JSTOR). I cannot afford them, and that's why I though someone could help me in the internet.

Why everyone needs to be hostile on the internet? Couldn't you just help someone that's just asking a question? Man, that's sad...

Anyways, thanks for the reply!

mathbalduino said:
The thing is, all the referenced papers have paywalls and my university don't provide access to it (including the referenced JSTOR).
Really? I suggest you take that up with whoever assigned you the topic for the bachelor paper.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Tom.G said:
Way out of my field but it doesn't seem to be available on the net, even in China!

Here is a possibility that may may give some insight though:

"The Travelling Purchaser Problem with Budget Constraint "
https://www.ijmttjournal.org/Volume-66/Issue-2/IJMTT-V66I2P515.pdf

Good Luck!
Tom
Man, there's a dude on Reddit that said that his University has the physical copy of the Ramesh paper. As I'm from Brazil, I'll need to contact the Uni via e-mail or something to ask them if they can send me a copy.

Anyways, thanks for the help, really!

mathbalduino said:
Why everyone needs to be hostile on the internet? Couldn't you just help someone that's just asking a question?
I just couldn't resist replying to this, even though this is addressed to @pbuk.

After reading pbuk's post, I don't think it is hostile in any way. Following references is the first most obvious thing that people will do, but how are we supposed to know that you have already done that if you do not say so in your 1st post? If you are asking for help because those papers are behind a paywall, you should have mentioned that in the 1st post itself.

And if paywall is indeed your main problem, I stand by pbuk's reply that you should take this up with your university or advisor for not providing you access to papers. It is a different issue whether knowledge should be constrained behind paywalls, but if you are doing some research, then it is up to your university to provide you necessary access to journals, and your advisor to arrange for that with the university. We can help you find the papers you need, but unfortunately, we really can't help you with the paywall issue.

1. What is the Traveling Purchaser Problem (TPP)?

The Traveling Purchaser Problem (TPP) is a mathematical problem that involves finding the most efficient route for a salesperson or buyer to visit a set of locations in order to purchase goods or services. It is a variation of the more well-known Traveling Salesperson Problem (TSP) but with the added constraint of having to purchase items at each location.

2. Why is the TPP important?

The TPP has real-world applications in various industries, such as retail, supply chain management, and logistics. By finding the most efficient route for a salesperson to visit multiple locations, companies can save time and resources, ultimately leading to increased profits.

3. What are some common algorithms used to solve the TPP?

Some common algorithms used to solve the TPP include the nearest neighbor algorithm, the genetic algorithm, and the ant colony optimization algorithm. Each of these algorithms has its own strengths and weaknesses, and the best one to use will depend on the specific problem and data set.

4. How do you measure the efficiency of a solution to the TPP?

The efficiency of a solution to the TPP is typically measured by the total distance traveled or the total cost incurred. The goal is to minimize these values, as they directly impact the time and resources required for the purchases to be made.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the TPP?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the TPP. For example, companies can use it to optimize the routes for their sales representatives, delivery drivers, or field service technicians. It can also be used in e-commerce for optimizing the delivery routes for online purchases or in supply chain management for optimizing the transportation of goods from multiple suppliers.