Bending force or shear force what's the difference?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between shearing force and bending force. Shearing force causes a shearing deformation, while bending force causes a bending deformation. However, they are essentially the same thing as both involve changes in angles within a body. Bending force creates a combination of tension and compression, while shear stress is caused by an orthogonal force. Wikipedia has helpful diagrams to better understand the distinction between the two forces.
shott92
Hi today I was watching a demonstration of using explosives in demolition and emergency rescue and they did one where they wrapped explosive cord around a steel I beam and cut it in half then said this was a shearing force which sounded right to me but then they took a concrete post similar shape to the I beam and packed one side of the I with plastic explosive placed a metal plate over it and secured in place with tape and said this is also a shearing force... But surely under this circumstanc it would be a bending force that breaks the post??

Put after consideration it dawned on me that a bending force and a shearing force are the same thing in a way so what's what and what's the difference?? Thanks guys
S

Engineering news on Phys.org
A shearing force is something that causes a shearing deformation: the angle changes between two perpendicular sides of a body.

A bending force is something that causes a bending deformation: the angle changes between two internal faces of a body.

Bending creates a combination of tension and compression through the thickness of the bending part; where as shear stress would be an "orthogonal" stress caused by a shearing force. Imagine bending a strip of sheet metal (bending) vs. cutting it with scissors (shear).

Wikipedia has some pretty good articles on the subject it might be the diagrams will help you visualize the difference:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bending
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shear_stress

Likes Geofleur

What is the difference between bending force and shear force?

Bending force and shear force are two types of forces that act on a material. Bending force causes a material to bend or deform, while shear force causes a material to slide or shear along a surface.

How do bending force and shear force affect structures?

Bending force and shear force can both cause stress and strain on structures. Bending force can lead to bending or buckling of a structure, while shear force can cause a structure to slide or collapse.

Which force is more critical in structural design?

This depends on the specific structure and its intended use. In some cases, bending force may be more critical, while in others shear force may be the main concern. Both forces must be considered in structural design to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.

How are bending force and shear force calculated?

Bending force is typically calculated using the formula F = EI/R, where E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, and R is the radius of curvature. Shear force is typically calculated using the formula F = Q/A, where Q is the shear force and A is the cross-sectional area.

How can bending force and shear force be reduced?

To reduce bending force, materials with higher strength and stiffness can be used. To reduce shear force, the shape or design of the structure can be modified to distribute the force more evenly. Proper structural design and reinforcement can also help reduce both types of forces.