Shear Force and Bending Moment

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving the reactions at point A, the shear force and bending moment along the boom length, the maximum bending stress of the boom, and potential design changes. The person asking the question is confused about the support arm and the X and Y reactions. The expert points out a mistake in the moment equation and explains that the axial force at point B must have an equal and opposite reaction at point A. The expert also suggests using trigonometry to calculate the horizontal component of the force. The conversation ends with the expert clarifying the calculations for the force at point B.
Mechaman
Hi everyone here is the question I'm having trouble with. included is my attempt and the question.

1. The Reactions at A (Assuming the boom weight is negligible)
2. The shear force and bending moment along the boom length and indicate the point of maximum bending moment.
3. The maimum bending stress of the boom
4. What design changes would you propse

I'm stumped as to where the support arm comes into it. It's a pin that's attached to the side of the beam. There seems to be an X and Y reaction but there is no counter X so it remains at 0?

Any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

• 2014-11-29 14.57.58.jpg
    2014-11-29 14.57.58.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 561
  • 2014-11-29 15.05.32.jpg
    2014-11-29 15.05.32.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
Mechaman said:
Hi everyone here is the question I'm having trouble with. included is my attempt and the question.

1. The Reactions at A (Assuming the boom weight is negligible)
2. The shear force and bending moment along the boom length and indicate the point of maximum bending moment.
3. The maimum bending stress of the boom
4. What design changes would you propse

I'm stumped as to where the support arm comes into it. It's a pin that's attached to the side of the beam. There seems to be an X and Y reaction but there is no counter X so it remains at 0?

Any help would be much appreciated

Your static equilibrium calculations are a little iffy.

Your moment equation is ∑MA = -0.9RBy + 6(2.4) = 0

When you moved the moment due to the weight of the engine to the RHS of the equation, you forgot to change the sign.

Any axial force at point B obviously must have an equal and opposite reaction at point A in order for the beam to remain in equilibrium. That's basic statics.

Once you get the correct forces acting on the beam, then you can work out the shear and bending moment.

Thanks for the reply,

I see the mistake with my moment equation.

To find the X axis at point B I would need to ∑M, but everywhere is running along the same axis? If I take the moment about the bottom left point, say point D, it is still along the same axis?

Mechaman said:
Thanks for the reply,

I see the mistake with my moment equation.

To find the X axis at point B I would need to ∑M, but everywhere is running along the same axis? If I take the moment about the bottom left point, say point D, it is still along the same axis?

You don't need to write a moment equation to determine the axial force. You have calculated the vertical component of the force in the support arm. You can use trig to calculate the horizontal component.

So the force is Cos53(16) = 9.62KN(t)? meaning Rax is 9.62KN(c)?

Mechaman said:
So the force is Cos53(16) = 9.62KN(t)? meaning Rax is 9.62KN(c)?

Only if 16 kN is the force in the rod, which it isn't. 16kN is the force opposite the angle of 53 deg. Check your trig again.

1. What are shear force and bending moment?

Shear force and bending moment are two important concepts in mechanics that describe the internal forces and moments acting on a structure. Shear force is the force that acts parallel to the cross-sectional area of a structure, while bending moment is the measure of the internal torque or moment that causes the structure to bend.

2. How are shear force and bending moment calculated?

Shear force and bending moment can be calculated using the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces and moments acting on a structure must be equal to zero. These equations can be applied to different sections of a structure to determine the shear force and bending moment at that particular section.

3. What is the significance of shear force and bending moment in structural design?

Shear force and bending moment are important considerations in structural design as they help engineers determine the strength and stability of a structure. By calculating and analyzing the shear force and bending moment at different sections, engineers can ensure that the structure is strong enough to withstand the expected loads and maintain its integrity.

4. What factors can affect shear force and bending moment in a structure?

The magnitude and distribution of loads, as well as the geometry and material properties of a structure, can affect shear force and bending moment. Other factors such as support conditions, temperature changes, and structural imperfections can also influence these internal forces and moments.

5. How can shear force and bending moment be controlled in a structure?

Structural engineers can control shear force and bending moment by designing a structure with appropriate dimensions, materials, and support conditions to withstand the expected loads. They can also use techniques such as moment redistribution and shear reinforcement to redistribute these forces and reduce their effects on the structure.