Bending of Light in diffraction? Is it actually possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of light's wave particle duality and the concept of quantum diffraction. It explains how light can seemingly bend in diffraction experiments and how this is related to the uncertainty principle in quantum physics. The conversation also mentions a study that provides a deeper understanding of this concept.
Aurghyadip Kundu
I know light has wave particle duality, I understand these two points very well,
1. Light moves as a probability function, taking all the possible paths at once. The alternate paths cancel themselves out, resulting in a particle-like combined motion.

2. When relatively close to an edge, some paths will collide in the edge and their opposing pairs are thus not annihilated and continue at bent trajectories around the edge.

What I really want to know is, are those bent trajectories actually possible?
The gravitational pull of the Earth is not enough for the photons to take up a bent trajectory like a rock thrown. So, how can we explain this bent trajectory?

Physics news on Phys.org
A. Neumaier said:
This is explained through geometric optics, applied to the wave fronts of the diffracted wave.
See the corresponding wikipedia article:
Thank you for your reply.
I don't understand how we can explain that with the help of geometrical optics, I am asking for a bit elaborate answer. As light can not actually bend but, in diffraction phenomenon, light seems to be apparently bending.
I gave the article a read, could not find what I was looking for(That is, the diffraction phenomenon in quantum physics). It would be very helpful if you could quote that here.

Aurghyadip Kundu said:
Thank you for your reply.
I don't understand how we can explain that with the help of geometrical optics, I am asking for a bit elaborate answer. As light can not actually bend but, in diffraction phenomenon, light seems to be apparently bending.
I gave the article a read, could not find what I was looking for(That is, the diffraction phenomenon in quantum physics). It would be very helpful if you could quote that here.
I had quoted the piece that is relevant. Light has a wave nature, which bend, and light rays are perpendicular to all light fronts. In a diffraction experiment, this leads to bent rays at the fringes.

Last edited:
Aurghyadip Kundu said:
As light can not actually bend but, in diffraction phenomenon, light seems to be apparently bending.

Here is the quantum answer to diffraction:
http://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0703/0703126.pdf

As you can see no 'bending' involved. The apparent 'bending' is simply the uncertainty principle at work. At the slit you know its position so its momentum is unknown and after the slit can go off in all sorts of crazy directions.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Aurghyadip Kundu
bhobba said:
Here is the quantum answer to diffraction:
http://arxiv.org/ftp/quant-ph/papers/0703/0703126.pdf

As you can see no 'bending' involved. The apparent 'bending' is simply the uncertainty principle at work. At the slit you know its position so its momentum is unknown and after the slit can go off in all sorts of crazy directions.

Thanks
Bill
Thanks Bill.
Thanks a lot. I was precisely finding this.

Likes bhobba

What is diffraction and how does it cause bending of light?

Diffraction is a phenomenon where light waves are bent or spread out as they pass through a narrow opening or around an obstacle. This bending of light is caused by the interaction between the light waves and the edges of the opening or obstacle.

How does the size of the opening or obstacle affect the bending of light in diffraction?

The size of the opening or obstacle plays a crucial role in the bending of light through diffraction. A smaller opening or obstacle will produce a more significant bending effect, while a larger opening or obstacle will result in a less pronounced bending effect.

What is the relationship between the wavelength of light and the amount of diffraction that occurs?

The wavelength of light is directly proportional to the amount of diffraction that occurs. This means that as the wavelength of light decreases, the amount of diffraction increases, resulting in a more significant bending effect.

Can light be diffracted by other types of waves or particles?

Yes, diffraction is not limited to light waves and can occur with other types of waves or particles, such as sound waves, water waves, and even electrons.

Is the bending of light in diffraction a real phenomenon or just an illusion?

The bending of light in diffraction is a real phenomenon that has been observed and studied extensively by scientists. It can be explained through the principles of wave theory and has practical applications in fields such as optics and acoustics.