Bending proton beams under magnetic field

In summary, proton beams are bent under a magnetic field by causing a force perpendicular to the particles' direction of motion and the magnetic field. This allows scientists to control the path of the particles for various experiments and research. The strength of the magnetic field needed depends on factors such as particle speed and desired curvature. Electromagnets are typically used for this purpose. However, there are potential risks associated with working with strong magnetic fields, so safety protocols must be followed.
hubbard97
Homework Statement
A proton beam of kinetic energy 20 MeV enters a dipole magnet 2 m in length.

How strong must the field be to deflect the beam by 10 degrees?
Relevant Equations
F = qvB
I haven't taken a physics courses in some time and I'm having trouble getting started with this textbook question. I know that there will be relativistic effects present, but I can deal with that. The problem is how I can approach the problem. I initially thought of a geometric way to set up the problem where I simply assume magnetic field will exert a force uniformly:
q1.png

But I'm not sure if this will work out since the magnetic field will technically induce a circular motion. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a circle!

1. How does a magnetic field affect proton beams?

When a proton beam enters a magnetic field, it experiences a force known as the Lorentz force. This force causes the beam to bend in a circular path, with the direction of the bend depending on the direction of the magnetic field.

2. What is the purpose of bending proton beams under a magnetic field?

Bending proton beams under a magnetic field is a crucial technique in particle accelerators. It allows scientists to control the path of the protons and accelerate them to high speeds, which is essential for studying their properties and interactions.

3. How is the strength of the magnetic field determined for bending proton beams?

The strength of the magnetic field needed to bend proton beams depends on the energy and mass of the protons, as well as the desired curvature of the beam. Scientists use mathematical equations and simulations to determine the appropriate strength of the magnetic field.

4. Can proton beams be bent in multiple directions under a magnetic field?

Yes, it is possible to bend proton beams in multiple directions under a magnetic field. This is achieved by using a series of magnets with different orientations to control the path of the beam.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with bending proton beams under a magnetic field?

There are some potential risks associated with bending proton beams under a magnetic field, such as radiation exposure and damage to equipment. However, scientists take strict safety measures and follow protocols to minimize these risks and ensure the safe operation of particle accelerators.