Bernoulli effect at spray nozzle

In summary, the spray nozzle can be improved by taping the nozzle in three different ways: internally, externally, or not at all. The externally tapered nozzle was found to generate the strongest low pressure at the main jet.
needing
Hi.
First post so I hope I have the correct thread location.

I am reverse engineering a 40+ year old vertical slide carburettor design i.e. the venturi is horizontal. The current spray nozzle protudes vertically into the airflow but is straight sided and flat across the exit.
Option 1.
Internally taper the nozzle (15°included angle) so the metering annulus remained the same near the base but the exit is now as wide as the OD and knife-edged.
Option 2.
Externally taper the nozzle so the metering annulus remained the same for the height of the nozzle, the exit retains the original ID but is now knife-edged.

The question:
Wikl option 1 or 2 improve spray spread and atomisation at the exit for a given airflow? or option 3 : do nothing.
Ta.
Owen.
20160102_083527.jpg
20160102_083820.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
If the spray nozzle is perpendicular to the stream, it's relying on the vortices that form at the open end to further reduce pressure. I'm not sure how to predict how the vortices are affected by nozzle shape, other than sharp edges probably help.

Last edited:
Are you able to make the various different shapes? The best way to check the effects is to build the variants and see if/how they run differently. Unless there is some problem with the original untapered version I would stick with it at least at first, if for no other reason than it is simpler to build. What kind of engine is this for? What have other tuners done over the past 40 years? Innovation is good, so try it and see what you gain.

rcgldr said:
If the spray nozzle is perpendicular to the stream, it's relying on the vortices that form at the open end to further reduce pressure. I'm not sure how to predict how the vortices are affected by nozzle shape, other than sharp edges probably help.
Thank you for replying. My thoughts are that the fuel will leave the sharp edge better (smaller).

gmax137 said:
Are you able to make the various different shapes? The best way to check the effects is to build the variants and see if/how they run differently. Unless there is some problem with the original untapered version I would stick with it at least at first, if for no other reason than it is simpler to build. What kind of engine is this for? What have other tuners done over the past 40 years? Innovation is good, so try it and see what you gain.
Thank you for replying.
By asking, I hoped to find that a technical assessment of nozzle exit tapers had already been done by researchers.

In the last 40+ years there has been almost no development by the manufacturer of british motorcycle carburettors except for:
1. a hard coating to the zinc throttle slide to prevent galling with the zinc carb body (now only the carb body wears),
2. an adjustable pilot circuit jet.

From feedback I received from indignant 'tuners of high renown' it would seem they "...fit new parts..." and vary the jetting and aircleaner.
So far I have installed 5 mods as part of phase 1 for a 32% increase of generated low pressure, and earlier signal, at both fuel nozzles. To taper the main spray nozzle (int., ext., or not) is mod 2 of phase 2. Three phases in total.
Ta again.
Owen

The internally tapered spray nozzle is the more responsive to the perpendicular airstream across it. I attribute this to a greater volume of air flow passing across the wider cross-section at any given air speed. At a constant air speed at the same slide opening, the generated low pressure at the main jet was significantly stronger than the other two options.
Ta.
Owen.

1. What is the Bernoulli effect at a spray nozzle?

The Bernoulli effect at a spray nozzle is the phenomenon in which the velocity of a fluid (such as water) increases as it passes through a constricted area, resulting in a decrease in pressure. This effect is named after Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli, who first described it in the 18th century.

2. How does the Bernoulli effect work at a spray nozzle?

The Bernoulli effect at a spray nozzle works by converting the potential energy of the fluid into kinetic energy as it passes through the constricted area. This increase in velocity leads to a decrease in pressure, creating a vacuum that draws more fluid into the nozzle.

3. What is the importance of the Bernoulli effect at a spray nozzle?

The Bernoulli effect at a spray nozzle is important because it allows for the creation of a fine spray by breaking up a stream of fluid into smaller droplets. This is useful in various applications such as firefighting, agricultural spraying, and cosmetic sprays.

4. Can the Bernoulli effect at a spray nozzle be used to increase pressure?

No, the Bernoulli effect at a spray nozzle cannot be used to increase pressure. While the velocity of the fluid may increase, the overall pressure decreases due to the conversion of energy from potential to kinetic. To increase pressure, a pump or other mechanism is needed.

5. How does the design of a spray nozzle affect the Bernoulli effect?

The design of a spray nozzle can greatly affect the Bernoulli effect. A constricted area or narrowing of the nozzle can increase the velocity and decrease the pressure more, resulting in a finer spray. The shape and size of the nozzle also play a role in how well the Bernoulli effect is utilized.