Bernoulli's equation, Venturi effect, hydraulic head, nozzle

In summary, the problem is that the velocity in the nozzle is not zero, which causes the head to be greater than the physical height of the tube.
Mario Rossi
Hi, I have this problem:

I have a vertical tube 1 meter D, in the bottom end there is a nozzle with 0,5 m D. The tube is full of water. the tube length is 10 meters and the nozzle length is 2 meters. I need to calculate the power of this by this equation:

W = Q * g * h * p

where W is watt, Q is the volumetric flow rate, g is 9.81,h is the head and p is the density (1000 kg/m3 for the water.

The issue is the velocity in the nozzle: for the Venturi effect, in the nozzle the velocity increases. So in the velocity Torricelli's equation: sqrt(2 * g * h) = v the h value changes in h = (v^2) / 2 * g that is greater then the real h value (12 meters). So in the power equations I use this second h value. Is it right?

There is an explanation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelton_wheel#Power but I'm not understanding it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing the velocity in the tube ##v_t## is not zero. This is why the velocity in the nozzle ##v_n## gives a head ##h_n## greater than the physical height of the tube ##h_t##. The relation between the two should be:
$$\rho g h_t + \frac{\rho v_t^2}{2} = \frac{\rho v_n^2}{2} \equiv \rho g h_n$$
Of course, the velocity of the fluid in the tube does translate into energy in the nozzle, so ##h_n## should be considered in such a case.

Likes Mario Rossi
jack action said:
I'm guessing the velocity in the tube ##v_t## is not zero. This is why the velocity in the nozzle ##v_n## gives a head ##h_n## greater than the physical height of the tube ##h_t##. The relation between the two should be:
$$\rho g h_t + \frac{\rho v_t^2}{2} = \frac{\rho v_n^2}{2} \equiv \rho g h_n$$
Of course, the velocity of the fluid in the tube does translate into energy in the nozzle, so ##h_n## should be considered in such a case.

Thank you!

What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a fluid flow. It states that the sum of the dynamic pressure, potential pressure, and static pressure remains constant along a streamline.

What is the Venturi effect?

The Venturi effect is a phenomenon in fluid dynamics where a fluid's velocity increases as it flows through a narrow section of a pipe. This decrease in pressure creates a low-pressure zone, causing the fluid to speed up. This effect is commonly used in applications such as carburetors and atomizers.

What is hydraulic head?

Hydraulic head is a measure of the potential energy of water in a fluid system. It is the sum of the elevation head (potential energy due to its position above a reference point) and the pressure head (potential energy due to its pressure). It is an important concept in understanding fluid flow and can be used to calculate the flow rate of a fluid.

How does a nozzle work?

A nozzle is a device used to increase the velocity of a fluid by reducing its cross-sectional area. As the fluid flows through the nozzle, its velocity increases due to the Venturi effect. This increase in velocity results in a decrease in pressure, creating a suction effect that draws in more fluid. Nozzles are commonly used in applications such as fire hoses and water jets.

What are the practical applications of Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation has many practical applications in various fields, including aviation, hydraulics, and meteorology. It is used to design efficient airfoils for aircraft wings, calculate the flow rate of fluids in pipes, and predict weather patterns. It is also used in the design of many everyday objects, such as carburetors, atomizers, and fountains.