Bernoulli River: Calculating Water Speed

In summary: Q_A+Q_P)(WD)So, in summary, the Bournoulli River has a volume flow rate of 4.8×105L/s, joins with the River Archimedes, which carries 1.04×106L/s, to form the Bernoulli River. The Bernoulli River is 190 m wide and 20 m deep.
Dilman Sidhu

Homework Statement

: River Pascal with a volume flow rate of 4.8×105L/s joins with River Archimedes, which carries 1.04×106L/s , to form the Bernoulli River. The Bernoulli River is 190 m wide and 20 m deep.[/B]

Homework Equations

:
What is the speed of the water in the Bernoulli River?
Express your answer using two significant figures.
Express answer in m/s.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have not yet attempted to write any answers b/c I'm unsure how to solve the equation. I believe I have to use Bernoulli's equation since that is a recent topic in class.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Dilman, :welcome:

Good of you to mention there is a b and a c part in this exercise. Maybe the a part is just a warming up ?
And you can safely assume the B river carries off the sum of the flows so there is no unpleasant accumulation at the confluence...

Likes Dilman Sidhu
Thanks! I understood the speed of River B would have to include the values given for Rivers 1 and 2. I got an answer of 0.4 m/s which was correct but I was wondering if you could better explain the logic behind why the summation of the given values for Rivers 1 and 2 was divided by 3800 (190 m/s x 20 m/s = 3800).

I don't know what you are referring to, but I can easily guess that the division was not by 190 m/s x 20 m/s = 3800 m2/s2 !
Always, always check your dimensions !

Write out the detailed steps of the calculation -- with the dimensions and see that it all fits nicely. Post if you want comments.

Dilman Sidhu said:
Thanks! I understood the speed of River B would have to include the values given for Rivers 1 and 2. I got an answer of 0.4 m/s which was correct but I was wondering if you could better explain the logic behind why the summation of the given values for Rivers 1 and 2 was divided by 3800 (190 m/s x 20 m/s = 3800).
This is an application of the equation of continuity, not so much an application of the Bernoulli equation.

Here, the equation of continuity is "amount of water flowing into the river junction = the amount of water flowing out of the river junction"

In terms of algebra, Qin = Qout
and
Q = A ⋅ v, where
Q - flow in m3 / s
A - cross sectional area of the channel(s), m2
v - velocity of the flow, m/s

The area of the channel of River Bernoulli is A = 190 m × 20 m = 3800 m2

Units are included in calculations to help you make sense of the numbers. They are not intended to be a nuisance.

It is best practise to do the algebra on the symbols, substituting the numbers at the end.
The volume rate of flow Q is given by ##Q=vA## where A is the crossection area of the pipe (in this case the river) and v (perpendicular) is the speed of the flow.
You've already worked out that the flow rate for the Bournoulli river must be the sum of the flows for the other two so ##Q = Q_A+Q_P## ... if v is to be the speed of the Bournoulli river, then A must be its crossection - roughly width times depth: ##A=WD## (you could choose a different approximation for the shape of the river if you like.)

Now all the variables in the definition are in terms of stuff you know, you can substitute and use algebra to solve the resulting equation for v, using symbols only.

What is the Bernoulli principle and how does it relate to river water speed calculation?

The Bernoulli principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid decreases. This principle applies to fluids such as water, and can be used to calculate the speed of water in a river by measuring the pressure at different points along the river.

What are the variables needed to calculate water speed using the Bernoulli principle?

The variables needed to calculate water speed using the Bernoulli principle include the density of the water, the pressure at a specific point in the river, and the height difference between the two points where pressure is measured.

How accurate is the Bernoulli principle for calculating water speed in rivers?

The Bernoulli principle is a simplified model that does not take into account all factors that may affect water speed in a river. Therefore, while it can provide a general estimation, it may not be completely accurate.

What are some limitations of using the Bernoulli principle for calculating water speed in rivers?

The Bernoulli principle assumes that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid, and flowing steadily. However, in real-life scenarios, these assumptions may not hold true and can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Additionally, the shape and size of the river may also affect the accuracy of the calculation.

Can the Bernoulli principle be used for all types of rivers?

The Bernoulli principle can be used for any type of river, as long as the assumptions of incompressibility, inviscid flow, and steady flow hold true. However, for more complex and turbulent rivers, other methods may need to be used for more accurate calculations.