Different answers from equation of continuity and Bernoulli

In summary: The issue that I'm running into is trying to simultaneously explain this with Bernoulli's equation:P1 + pgy1 + 1/2pv12 = P2 + pgy2 + 1/2pv22 =I'll take state 1 to be at the water reservoir or wherever the water in the pipes is pressurized and 2 to be at the outlet of the wand. I'm assuming that pressing the button on the wand does not change the pressure at the reservoir (nor at the outlet of the wand, where it is subject to atmospheric pressure).According to your reasoning the geometry of the pipe doesn't play a role so whatever geometry you chose for the pipe you will get the same
Alexander83
Hi there,
So I was doing the dishes this morning using a sink wand hat can toggle between different flow speeds. The way that I've always thought of this working is using the equation of continuity:

Volume flow rate: = Area*velocity

Pressing a button on the wand decreases the cross-sectional area and correspondingly increases the flow velocity assuming that the flow rate is constant.

The issue that I'm running into is trying to simultaneously explain this with Bernoulli's equation:

P1 + pgy1 + 1/2pv12 = P2 + pgy2 + 1/2pv22 =

I'll take state 1 to be at the water reservoir or wherever the water in the pipes is pressurized and 2 to be at the outlet of the wand. I'm assuming that pressing the button on the wand does not change the pressure at the reservoir (nor at the outlet of the wand, where it is subject to atmospheric pressure).

Based on Bernoulli's equation, this would suggest that pressing the wand button should have NO effect on the flow velocity, which contradicts the result from the equation of motion. So: what am I missing here. I feel like I may be incorrect in my pressure assumption above somehow.

Thanks!

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's assume that y1 = y2 to simplify a bit. The Bernoulli equation gives
##v_2^2 - v_1^2 = 2\Delta P/ \rho##, (##\Delta P = P_1-P_2##).
Now ##\Delta P > 0##, therefore ##v_2 > v_1##.

Alexander83 said:
I'll take state 1 to be at the water reservoir or wherever the water in the pipes is pressurized and 2 to be at the outlet of the wand. I'm assuming that pressing the button on the wand does not change the pressure at the reservoir (nor at the outlet of the wand, where it is subject to atmospheric pressure).

According to your reasoning the geometry of the pipe doesn't play a role so whatever geometry you chose for the pipe you will get the same result. I don't think so. At the outlet of the wand there is a huge pressure-drop so I think you have to take state 2 to be inside the wand where the fluid is still pressurized. Now if you use Bernoulli equation you will see that a change in the section will affect pressure and velocity.

Alexander83 said:
pressing the button on the wand does not change the pressure at the reservoir
Actually, hat doesn't matter: in the reservoir the velocity is near zero. What matters is the pressure before and after the wand opening -- there, where the velocity changes.

Alexander83 said:
Hi there,
So I was doing the dishes this morning using a sink wand hat can toggle between different flow speeds. The way that I've always thought of this working is using the equation of continuity:

Volume flow rate: = Area*velocity

Pressing a button on the wand decreases the cross-sectional area and correspondingly increases the flow velocity assuming that the flow rate is constant.
This is the flaw in your logic. Cranking down on the wand reduces the cross sectional area, but does not reduce the velocity at the exit ( at least not for an inviscid fluid, according to the Bernoulli equation). So the exit velocity is unchanged. But the velocity times area (the volumetric flow rate) decreases.

Likes BvU

1. What is the equation of continuity?

The equation of continuity is a mathematical equation that states that the mass of a fluid is conserved within a closed system. This means that the mass entering a certain point in the system must be equal to the mass leaving that point, assuming there are no sources or sinks of mass within the system.

2. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid in motion. It states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure within the fluid decreases, and vice versa. This equation is based on the principle of conservation of energy.

3. Why do the equations of continuity and Bernoulli sometimes give different answers?

The equations of continuity and Bernoulli are based on different principles and assumptions. The equation of continuity assumes that the fluid is incompressible and that there are no sources or sinks of mass within the system, while Bernoulli's equation assumes that the fluid is inviscid (no friction) and that the flow is steady. In real-world scenarios, these assumptions may not hold true, leading to differences in the answers obtained from the two equations.

4. Can the equations of continuity and Bernoulli be applied to all types of fluids?

The equations of continuity and Bernoulli can be applied to both ideal and real fluids, as long as certain conditions are met. For example, the equations are valid for incompressible fluids, but may not hold true for compressible fluids such as gases. Additionally, the equations may need to be modified for fluids with non-ideal behaviors, such as high viscosity or turbulence.

5. How are the equations of continuity and Bernoulli used in real-world applications?

The equations of continuity and Bernoulli are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and hydraulics. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as pipes, pumps, and airplanes. These equations are also fundamental in the design and optimization of many engineering systems.