Best book for quantum physics?

In summary: If this book is too much for you, I would also recommend David Griffiths' book: A First Course in Quantum Mechanics, which is much more concise.
lawlieto
I'd like to be a quantum physicist in the future, so I'd like to do quantum properly, but there are so many books out there, and it's a bit hard to choose. I've already completed 1 year of undergraduate physics, so I think I know enough classical mechanics. I've also covered calculus, differential equations and a lot of linear algebra, so the maths side should be fine. I'm looking for a book that is "kind of" rigorous, maths-based, has examples and possibly visual things? However, by "kind of" rigorous I mean not too rigorous as to scare me away as a beginner. I've never learned quantum from its maths side before. If we were to use a scale, I'm looking for something like 6.5/10 to 7/10 on rigour.

I've seen a lot of people recommend Griffiths, however, based on comments, it doesn't look that rigorous & heavy enough on linear algebra.

If you recommend a book, could you please elaborate on how comprehensible it is for a beginner, and if any quantum books have visual things at all?

Thanks

Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org

Likes Demystifier
There are several books on quantum mechanics aimed at beginners. But I must say what you are asking for is highly subjective. What may be your 6/10 could be a 10/10 for me!

I usually recommend Quantum Mechanics: Concepts and Applications, Second Edition by Nouredine Zettili to people who aren't satisfied with Griffiths. It contains a lot tricky derivations, and uses what is know as 'matrix mechanics', and has a lot of solved examples making it suitable for beginners.

Likes Demystifier and Wrichik Basu
lawlieto said:
I've seen a lot of people recommend Griffiths, however, based on comments, it doesn't look that rigorous & heavy enough on linear algebra.
I support that Griffiths doesn't help at times, though it is one of the best. Steps are skipped and hardships are faced in solving the problems, without any solved examples.

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about quantum physics?

The best book for beginners to learn about quantum physics is "Quantum Physics for Dummies" by Steven Holzner. It provides a clear and easy-to-understand explanation of the basic concepts of quantum physics without using complex mathematical equations.

2. Which book is recommended for advanced readers interested in quantum physics?

"The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene is a highly recommended book for advanced readers interested in quantum physics. It explores the fascinating world of theoretical physics and explains complex concepts in a way that is both engaging and informative.

3. Is there a book that covers the history of quantum physics?

Yes, "The Quantum Story: A History in 40 Moments" by Jim Baggott provides a comprehensive and accessible overview of the history of quantum physics. It covers key discoveries and the evolution of quantum theory over the past century.

4. Are there any books that focus on the practical applications of quantum physics?

"Quantum Computing for Everyone" by Chris Bernhardt is a great book for those interested in the practical applications of quantum physics. It explains the principles of quantum computing and how it is being used in various fields such as cryptography, machine learning, and chemistry.

5. What is the best book for understanding the philosophical implications of quantum physics?

"The User Illusion: Cutting Consciousness Down to Size" by Tor Nørretranders explores the philosophical implications of quantum physics and how it challenges our understanding of reality and consciousness. It is a thought-provoking read for those interested in the intersection of science and philosophy.