Best book (online or print) to learn Linear Algebra?

In summary, Jason recommends that someone unfamiliar with proofs start with a book like "linear algebra and its applications" by the same author. After getting a basic understanding of the material, he suggests taking more advanced math classes to increase understanding.
WK95
Are there any Introductory Linear Algebra books out there that are not so proof-laden? All those proofs only make things more complicated and I would rather just learn applications of Linear Algebra rather than sit through a bunch of long proofs.

Can anyone suggest some books to me for this? I've searched in Google for PDFs of various Linear Algebra books and documents but most of them also just have loads of proofs. Some "lighter" books have less proofs than others though.

Physics news on Phys.org
"introduction to linear algebra" by Strang is a nice casual introduction that emphasizes its use in engineering and science. Old editions are fine. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0961408855/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are also video lectures of Strang teaching his course out of this book:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06-linear-algebra-spring-2010/video-lectures/

Note that "linear algebra and its applications" by the same author is a different book, and is less suitable for a first look at the subject (but pretty good for a second informal look).

jason

Last edited by a moderator:
All those proofs only make things more complicated

I think you're half right and half wrong. Needless to say, it depends on who is learning it. For people who know how to read proofs, they can actually make things simpler because they can extract the intuition of how things work from the proofs (or more likely by thinking about things on their own). Without that understanding of why things work, the subject can be really meaningless and forgettable. Applications are good, but if you are just learning by rote and taking things on faith, you'll forget it all in 2 seconds.

Really, there should be books that cut out the middle man, that is the proof, and just explain the ideas behind the proofs directly for those who are not adept at reading the proofs (and really, sometimes, even for many of them, because although they will still get most of the intuition if they know what they are doing, it may be filtered and watered down from the overly formal presentation). I'm not aware of a book that really does that consistently for linear algebra (but I'm only familiar with a few of the books). Tends to be either proofs or too much mindless plugging and chugging. I'm working on my own notes for linear algebra that I plan to make available eventually, but it has been slow going because I am too busy with other things. I might try to make videos on put them on youtube or recruit someone else to do the dirty work of writing it up, but eventually, I'll find a way.

Also, it isn't just a matter of reading proofs, even if you know how to do that well. It helps to do problems and examples, along with the proofs--sometimes that will clear the way for understanding the proofs.

Strang got me started, but I really started to understand linear algebra when I took more advanced math classes like real analysis.

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, linear transformations, and vector spaces. It involves studying the properties of matrices and vectors and their operations.

2. Why is learning Linear Algebra important?

Linear Algebra is an essential tool in many fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. It provides the foundation for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems and is used in various applications, such as data analysis, machine learning, and image processing.

3. What is the best book to learn Linear Algebra?

There are many excellent books available to learn Linear Algebra. Some popular options include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by David Lay, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler. It is essential to choose a book that suits your learning style and has good reviews from other readers.

4. Is an online or print book better for learning Linear Algebra?

Both online and print books have their advantages. Online books are usually more affordable and accessible, and they may include interactive features such as quizzes and tutorials. Print books, on the other hand, provide a tangible resource that can be easily referenced while studying. Ultimately, the best option will depend on personal preferences and learning style.

5. How can I effectively study Linear Algebra?

To effectively study Linear Algebra, it is essential to have a solid foundation in basic algebra and calculus. It is also helpful to practice solving problems regularly and to seek help from a tutor or study group if needed. Additionally, using online resources such as video lectures and practice exercises can enhance understanding and retention of the material.