Best-Case Running Time of QuickSort: $\Omega(n \lg n)$

In summary, at the best case, quicksort with pairwise distinct elements has a running time of $\Omega(n \log n)$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

The following pseudocodes are given:

Code:
 quicksort(A,p,r)
     if p<r then
        q<-partition(A,p,r)
        quicksort(A,p,q-1)
        quicksort(A,q+1,r)

Code:
   partition(A,p,r){
      x<-A[r]
      i<-p-1
      for j<-p to r-1
           if A[j]<=x then
              i<-i+1
              swap(A[i],A[j])
      swap(A[i+1],A[r])
      return i+1

I want to show that the best-case running time of [m] quicksort [/m] at an array with pairwise distinct elements is:
$\Omega(n \lg n)$ .Could I say the following?At the best case, [m] partition [/m] produces two subproblems of size at most $\frac{n}{2}$ each of them, given that the one has size $ \lfloor \frac{n}{2} \rfloor $ and the other $ \lceil \frac{n}{2} \rceil-1$.
The recurrence relation for the execution time is:

$$T(n) \leq 2T\left( \frac{n}{2} \right) + \Theta(n)$$

and from Master Theorem we deduce that $T(n)=O(n \log n)$.Or do we have to solve the recurrence relation $T(n)=\min_{1 \leq q \leq n-1} (T(q)+T(n-q-1)+\Theta(n))$? (Thinking)

Technology news on Phys.org
Yes, you may use the Master Theorem to show that the best-case running time of quicksort with pairwise distinct elements is $\Omega(n \log n)$. You can also solve the recurrence relation $T(n)=\min_{1 \leq q \leq n-1} (T(q)+T(n-q-1)+\Theta(n))$ to show the same result.

What is the best-case running time of QuickSort?

The best-case running time of QuickSort is Ω(n log n), meaning that the algorithm will take at least n log n comparisons to sort an array of n elements in the best-case scenario.

Why is the best-case running time of QuickSort Ω(n log n)?

The best-case running time of QuickSort is Ω(n log n) because in the best-case scenario, the pivot element chosen by the algorithm will always be the median of the array. This results in a balanced partitioning of the array, leading to a time complexity of n log n.

Is the best-case running time of QuickSort always Ω(n log n)?

No, the best-case running time of QuickSort is not always Ω(n log n). It is only guaranteed to have this time complexity in the best-case scenario where the pivot element is always the median of the array. In other cases, the time complexity can be worse, such as in the worst-case scenario where the pivot element is always the smallest or largest element in the array, resulting in a time complexity of Ω(n^2).

How does the best-case running time of QuickSort compare to other sorting algorithms?

The best-case running time of QuickSort is considered to be one of the most efficient for sorting algorithms. It is faster than many other popular sorting algorithms such as MergeSort, InsertionSort, and SelectionSort, which have a best-case running time of O(n log n). However, it is not as efficient as algorithms such as HeapSort and RadixSort, which have a best-case running time of O(n).

Can the best-case running time of QuickSort be improved?

Yes, the best-case running time of QuickSort can be improved by using different pivot selection methods. For example, using a randomized pivot selection can reduce the likelihood of worst-case scenarios and improve the overall performance of the algorithm. Additionally, using different partitioning methods, such as three-way partitioning, can also improve the best-case running time of QuickSort.