Best Methods for Measuring Sound Travel in Solids, Liquids, and Gases

• Thread starter SubFoxBlue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Project
In summary, it sounds like measuring how loud the sound will be might not be the best way to base an experiment on. It might be better to use a device to detect sound instead.
SubFoxBlue
I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this, but it looked close enough. I have a younger sister who has to do a project for an annual science fair. My mother signed her up for a project that involves measuring how well sound travels through solids, liquids and gases. Because I have an interest in electronics, she figured that I would be able to come up with some mechanism of accurately measuring, in her words, "How loud the sound will be" coming through the different materials.

First off, it seems like measuring how loud the sound will be might not be the best thing to base an experiment on. And if I'm correct in assuming that such an experiment would not be useful, I need to know if there is a good alternative. What is the best way to make the measurements she would need, and if necessary, what sort of device might I need to build?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What might you guess can detect sound? (hint: what do you use when recording sound?)

Here's a thought. Set up one of these devices in a fixed position. Generate your sound (use the same sound source each time, keep the same intensity as well) on the other side of the media you are testing (solid, liquid, gas)
and record it into the soundcard to the harddisk of a computer.

Using some sound editing software .. I have tried Goldwave, it will display relative amplitude in graphical format. So you can have a means to compare each medium. This will not give you values in absolute units (dB), but will give you numerically valid results that indicate differences in intensity (loudness).

Last edited:
I had suggested the use of a microphone and a similar experiment, but my mother complained of a lack of accuracy or somesuch. I'll tell her that there aren't a lot of other options. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the purpose of your sound-related project?

The purpose of this project is to investigate the properties of sound and how it can be manipulated in various ways for practical applications.

2. What methods or equipment are you using to collect and analyze sound data?

We are using a variety of methods and equipment, including microphones, audio recording software, and sound level meters to collect and analyze sound data. We are also utilizing statistical analysis to interpret the data.

3. Can you provide examples of real-world applications for your sound-related research?

Some potential real-world applications for our sound-related research include noise reduction technology in buildings, speech recognition software, and the development of new musical instruments.

4. How do you control for external factors that may affect your sound data?

We control for external factors by conducting experiments in controlled environments and using soundproofing materials when necessary. We also take measurements at different times and locations to ensure consistency in our data.

5. What do you hope to discover or achieve through your sound-related project?

Our goal is to gain a deeper understanding of the properties of sound and how it can be manipulated for practical use. We also hope to contribute to the development of new technologies and innovations in the field of acoustics.