Best sources to understand the Wigner-Eckart theorem?

In summary, the Wigner-Eckart theorem is a mathematical theorem in quantum mechanics that simplifies calculations involving angular momentum states. It is important because it allows for easier understanding and prediction of quantum systems. It can be applied in various fields such as atomic physics, nuclear physics, and quantum chemistry. However, it has limitations and only applies to certain systems. Recommended sources for understanding the Wigner-Eckart theorem include textbooks and online resources from reputable institutions.
andresB
I have to admit that my understanding of the Wigner-Eckart is quite precarious. In my grad studies I try to learn it using Sakurai and I suspect that might have been the wrong choice. So, what books-articles better explain the Wigner-Eckart theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
A classic on the subject is M.E. Rose, Elementary Theory of Angular Momentum (Dover, 1995).

Likes Demystifier

1. What is the Wigner-Eckart theorem?

The Wigner-Eckart theorem is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to simplify calculations involving angular momentum. It relates the matrix elements of a spherical tensor operator to the matrix elements of its components and the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

2. Why is the Wigner-Eckart theorem important?

The Wigner-Eckart theorem is important because it allows for the simplification of complex calculations involving angular momentum, making it easier to analyze and understand quantum mechanical systems. It also provides a deeper understanding of the symmetries and conservation laws in quantum mechanics.

3. What are the applications of the Wigner-Eckart theorem?

The Wigner-Eckart theorem has various applications in physics, including in atomic and molecular physics, nuclear physics, and solid-state physics. It is also used in fields such as quantum chemistry and spectroscopy.

4. How is the Wigner-Eckart theorem derived?

The Wigner-Eckart theorem can be derived using group theory and the properties of angular momentum. It is based on the principle of rotational invariance, which states that physical laws should be the same regardless of the orientation of the coordinate system.

5. Are there any limitations to the Wigner-Eckart theorem?

While the Wigner-Eckart theorem is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to systems with spherical symmetry and does not account for interactions between particles. It also assumes that the system is in a state of total angular momentum, which may not always be the case.